• Quick Navigation
Photo

When is water testing required for an SQF Storage and Distribution site?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Ogunkunle Makinde

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 May 2023 - 08:01 PM

Is water testing required for an SQF Storage and Distribution site that do not open products nor use food contact surfaces?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 May 2023 - 02:21 AM

Is water testing required for an SQF Storage and Distribution site that do not open products nor use food contact surfaces?

Does the site use water in product-related areas ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:42 AM

Hi Ogunkunle,

Microbiological analysis of the water is required for water that is in contact with food or food contact surfaces as per clause 12.5.2.1, so if you don’t use the water with food products nor with food contact surfaces then it is not a requirement that is clearly documented.

Having said that, I assume that you will need potable water for cleaning and handwashing. My question would be how do you demonstrate that the water is clean/potable?

SQF Food Safety Code - Storage and Distribution, Edition 9 requirements are:

12.3.2 Handwashing

12.3.2.3 Handwash stations shall be constructed of stainless steel or similar non-corrosive material and at a minimum supplied with:

i. A potable water supply at an appropriate temperature;

12.5.1 Water Supply

12.5.1.1 Adequate supplies of water drawn from a known clean source shall be provided for use during holding, storage and cleaning of the premises and equipment.

If applicable, your water supplier should provide analysis of water on a periodic basis.

It is good practice to check that water is of potable quality at point of use. Sometimes this can be done by simple tests such as colour, turbidity, total solids, pH, Chlorine (if used) odour and taste. These tests could be backed up by micro sampling a few times a year.

Kind regards,

Tony

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 15 May 2023 - 11:17 AM

I would just get it tested.  It is fairly inexpensive and fairly easy.  A lot easier than having to worry if the auditor thinks you should based on if you use it for cleaning and washing hands and such.

rgomez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:28 PM

We're sole storage & distribution. I get it tested by third party lab once annually that's sufficient for audit purposes, to cover drinking water & handwashing. 

I test for HPC, Residual chlorine, Coliforms, Ecoli.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users