• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2023 - 03:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question really - someone asked me today whether a glass audit / register is actually a legal requirement in the UK? - I have always insisted that they are a necessity, but in the retail industry rather than manufacturing, are they actually a legal requirement?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! - Thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 June 2023 - 03:37 PM

I cannot image in the retail landscape that this is required

All items baring fresh produce are packaged and that is the control

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dee70

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2023 - 03:57 PM

Thank you for your comments .. I was pondering it!

What if the products are made in a purpose built unit and transferred to the shop for sale - we are talking bread and cake so it's made fresh daily and not put into any packaging except maybe a bag when its sold to the customer.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 June 2023 - 05:37 PM

Then it's not a bad idea-----i would keep your schedule to not more than once/month

If they break during operational hours, likely someone would hear it and the product would be able to be contained and disposed of

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dee70

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2023 - 05:56 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you - thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:50 AM

Hi Dee70,

If you take the BRCGS Global Standard for Retail Issue 1 as an example then you should be minimising glass and brittle materials and have implemented breakage procedures.

4.9.3 GLASS CONTROL

4.9.3.1 The use of glass and brittle materials for in-store packaging or display purposes shall be minimised where risk of breakage is present (this does not include products purchased in glass packaging).

4.9.3.2 Documented procedures shall be in place to manage glass or brittle material breakage, including:

·      identifying and quarantining potentially contaminated product

·      cleaning and inspection

·      minimising risk to product and customers

I would be paying extra attention to those areas where you do handle products that are not packaged. I’m pretty sure there is no legal requirement for a glass audit/register although if you had a recall due to glass contamination and you didn’t have adequate control in the area where products are open then that could lead to prosecution.

The Food Standards Agency does offer guidance for very small retail businesses here. It may be a bit basic for your retail operations but useful as a reference, it does not mention a glass register, merely protection from contamination.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users