• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 20 June 2023 - 10:40 PM

Hi,

Our site has BRCGS and specifically includes traded goods in the scope of certification as we both manufacture and trade.

How do traded goods get covered by SQF? Specifically if I am looking at the SQF certificate for a site that also does both manufacturing and trading, would the scope include 'traded goods' as a separate line item? Or are traded goods covered by another category like storage and distribution? i.e. won't have it's own specific category listed.

Thanks

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,249 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:51 AM

Hi Dehydrated,

Traded goods usually fall under GFSI FII – Food Broker / Agent* which is not in the SQF range of scopes.

*Buying and selling of food, feed and/ or packaging products, excluding the production, storage and any physical handling of the product.

Are these goods held on site and distributed?

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,690 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 June 2023 - 01:14 AM

If the company is both a manufacturer where that part of the business makes up the majority of business and traded goods are a lesser endeavor than the two activities can be under 1 certification such as for manufacturing.

If however the traded goods makes up 50%+ there should also be a separate certification for storage etc.

Or you may be talking about what Tony has mentioned above also a separate cert.

Most companies try to get away with only 1 certification instead of going thru the hassle of adding another one.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dehydrated

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 04 July 2023 - 03:16 AM

The supplier handles both traded goods (import, store, distribute) and manufactures (for example imports a whole product and then grinds it up and repacks for sale).

Unfortunately unlikely they would share what % of the business is trading vs manufacture.

What I take from both replies is that they could get away with traded goods being covered by the manufacturing scope UNLESS it's more than 50% of the business, in which case would expect to see 2 certificates - one for the manufactured items and one for storage and distribution.

BRCGS seems much more straightforward for companies that do both. It's either in scope and on the certificate, or out and specifically noted as out of scope.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users