• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:09 PM

Hi, 

Does anyone have a SSOP for organic cleanings? We just recently lost our sanitation manager and quality department is taking over in the mean time. I need help know the procedure on what's the difference between a regular cleaning and an organic one. I know we're supposed to test the quat resudue but I am not sure if I am allowed to use sanitizer. Does anyone have anything similar to what I am looking for?

Thank you in advance, 

Aglaen.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 534 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:38 PM

It will depend a lot on your process and cleaning chemicals.

If you have an organic program, I would expect there to be a substantial quantity of documentation on your process and which approved organic cleansers or sanitizers you may be using.  This is the kind of thing your organic certifying body will audit thoroughly and expect to see records for, so you probably have them.

Quaternary ammonia based sanitizers are normally a no.  Your test strips are probably verifying they are not present at detectable levels.

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:41 PM

Agreeing with post above. Whatever you have submitted as your cleaning procedure to your organic certifying body is what you will have to stick with. 

In our facility, we have made it easier for everyone by changing our entire sanitation program to be the same as the one that is approved by our organic certifier. 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 20 July 2023 - 05:04 PM

I too will echo GM, the key here will be to get the credentials to your online organic program dashboard. There should be SOPs uploaded to your file that dictate exactly what your organic cleaning program entails. Of course, these should mirror your own internal SOPs, but they may be easier to find if you look through the organic documentation.

If you happen to be certified through OTCO like me, your sanitation plan will be on the H5 document. It's important to understand that while many cleaners/sanitizers could be acceptable for organic use, you're really only allowed to use the exact chemicals that you have been approved for by your organic certifier. Technically, even if you're switching from one brand of sanitizer to another brand with the exact same ingredients and use instructions, you still need to seek approval for the new brand.

Edited by Brothbro, 20 July 2023 - 05:09 PM.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 647 posts
  • 183 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2023 - 06:23 AM

I can't fathom why you don't have this already defined in an SSOP, but given an employee was released then there's a chance they did some damage and removed some files on their way out the door.  The main difference (in my limited experience) will be that cleansers will be rinsed off and there might need to be a verification there is no residue, but your sanitizer will need to be approved by your organic body as any residues affect organic integrity.

You could try reviewing your last organic audit to see what they've recorded as your sanitation method for organic vs non-organic.  They have a habit of documenting what your process is to defend their certification of your process.  At least this way you're still acting under the last accepted practices.  If you change up anything from what used to occur at your last audit without informing them you're opening yourself to a finding.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:48 AM

I find it curious that you don't already know this??

How exactly are you verifying the process when you perform an internal audit or reassessment?  Sounds super shady to me. The QA manager should know all the ins and outs, even if the decisions are not ultimately yours

The only difference between organic and non is the chemicals used.  They need to be approved by the certifying body for use in organic processing, and I have never seen an organic approval for a quat, even for cleaning and certainly not for sanitation

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organic cleaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users