Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 October 2023 - 01:15 PM

We recently received a material from a supplier, a dried spice, and their COA indicates a level of 90 cfu/g for sulfite reducing anaerobe sporeformers. We do not have a spec for this and have never had it on a COA from a supplier before. When I questioned the supplier on their limits, they said they do not have a limit, but generally <100 cfu/g is acceptable and that I would need to do a risk assessment to determine if this level would be ok for us. 

I am having a hard time finding a reference for acceptable level for this in food, specially dried spices. Does anyone have a set limit for this in their facility, and do you know where I could find the best reference for this. 

Thank you!

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 11 October 2023 - 02:20 PM

Greetings Rhiannon,

The only (to my knowledge) official directive for EU is linked below. It concerns spices coming from countries of the European continent that are not members of the European Union.

https://eur-lex.euro...ELEX:E2004C0054

FDA has also issued this FDA-Circular-No.-2013-010 (but can't guarantee if it is still in effect). It has a similar limit, but (at least for me) food regulation is a bit chaotic in US. Some sources suggest the above limits, others no spore detection at all but it is not conclusive and also it doesn't really specify the foods.

Other than that you can mostly find proposed limits as described in researches and suggestions from food safety discussions.

Hope it helps a bit.

Regards!

Edited by Evans X., 11 October 2023 - 02:22 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,521 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 October 2023 - 02:53 PM

I;m guessing this spice has not been irradiated, and that is why your seeing it

Here's and FDA list of micro that may be helpful

https://www.fsis.usd...RTE_Testing.pdf

Of note, spices can contain high levels of sporeformers, which can result in high APC populations. These may include pathogenic sporeformers, which at levels <104 have not been associated with a safety risk when the spices are dry. However, the presence of microbial spores may be a concern for the foods in which the spices are used, and customers may request that treatments to reduce bacterial spores and/or that spices be tested for certain types of spores based on the intended use of the spice.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

RhiannonVK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 October 2023 - 03:14 PM

I;m guessing this spice has not been irradiated, and that is why your seeing it

Here's and FDA list of micro that may be helpful

https://www.fsis.usd...RTE_Testing.pdf

Of note, spices can contain high levels of sporeformers, which can result in high APC populations. These may include pathogenic sporeformers, which at levels <104 have not been associated with a safety risk when the spices are dry. However, the presence of microbial spores may be a concern for the foods in which the spices are used, and customers may request that treatments to reduce bacterial spores and/or that spices be tested for certain types of spores based on the intended use of the spice.

The COA from the supplier indicates that the spice, onion powder, has been steam treated but it cannot be irradiated as it is an organic product.

All other tests results on the COA are ok. There are negative results for S. aureus, E.coli, Listeria, Salmonella, C. perfringens, and results for B. cereus, TPC, Y&M, Coliform are all within acceptable limits. 

Thank you for your response, this result is just throwing me, as I can't seem to find any clear reference as to what level is ok

Edited by RhiannonVK, 11 October 2023 - 03:14 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users