• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 December 2023 - 02:57 PM

Hello all,

Can someone advise for below questions ?

1-Do we need to bring revision history to forms as well as SOPs?in our SOPs there is revision history sheet on top of each start , but I was wondering if we need same thing for our forms?

2- For formulation, we have many different products; Do we have to use one form as template for all ?

3- For product development procedure , what sort of things do we need to consider other than a form in support of standard clauses?

Thank you in advance. 

SnaxAuditor

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2023 - 03:16 PM

1) Yes, forms should be document controlled as well. 

2) No, you can have the template be whatever you want as long as its controlled, although it'd be a lot cleaner looking if they were all in the same format

3) This is fairly broad, but of course consider HACCP/Food Safety first. There are plenty product development checklists out there, just google and adjust as needed to fit your SOP's. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2023 - 06:29 PM

some ideas for #3.   new ingredient risk assessments (include fraud), supplier approval, new raw inspection and test procedures created,  raw allergen risks/ procedures, raw spec sheets created, haccp / food safety plan reviewed / updated, finished product spec sheet created, new equipment evaluated, label created/reviewed, finished product inspection and test procedures created, plant and shelf life trials completed,  final approval of product.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2023 - 07:48 PM

1.  I don't like having the actual revision history on a fillable form, makes it too long and wildly for use in production.  Instead, I always kept notes on the revisions in a management of change log where we summarized all of our program/form changes (and yes, there was a form to request forms get updated lol).  SOP's get the full history, forms just show the current version with the date it was modified and prior modified date.  I had auditors scrutinize this but they found all my records were in order, so it was acceptable.

2.  Templates are nice to help outline the process described in your SOP and make sure all new products go through the steps, but you can document it however you like so long as all your SOP's steps are followed.

3.  Can't help, I don't do a lot of product formulation.  But your SOP should include HACCP review to decide if it fits within your current processing steps or needs a new HACCP plan to be developed.  Should include checks for everything you can think of food safety wise, like "does this new recipe include allergens we don't currently want to handle?" and so on.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 December 2023 - 04:31 AM

Hi shookimogh

1. I keep a master list with revision history for all food safety management system documents and records. For a form/record I would have the document reference, issue or version number, title and date of issue on the form. On the master list, I would record the same information but also the change and reason for it. Some organisations identify owner/authorised by as well.

2. For formulation you can have as many form templates as you want, you just need to control them. I personally prefer to have a common template for all products.

3. For product development you need to have a procedure that includes formal approval of the new product/change by the HACCP team leader or nominee and also a way to manage changes. For this I use a Process Approval Form where relevant personnel sign off the change at each stage of development. It is also useful to have a product development planner of what needs to be done at each stage and what needs to be signed off before progressing to the next stage for example:

Stage 1: Concept/Product Brief

Stage 2: Kitchen Work Stage

Stage 3: Approval of Kitchen Product

Stage 4: Factory Trials

Stage 5: Approval of Factory Product & Product Analysis including Shelf Life/Accelerated Shelf life

Stage 6: Artwork Process

Stage 7: Pre-Production Trials

Stage 8: Product Launch

Stage 9: Post Launch

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users