Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 19 December 2023 - 03:44 PM

1. How do you handle different types of allergens in an open concept factory ?

2. How to batch ingredients with multiple allergens?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 December 2023 - 09:27 PM

Please define "open concept."

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 December 2023 - 04:01 AM

Hi NicolaT,

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

You have posted in the  FSSC 22000 Packaging Material Manufacturing forum, I presume that you are manufacturing food and meant to post in the  FSSC 22000 Food Manufacturing forum?

An “open concept factory” will make things more difficult to manage. You will need to identify all the allergens in ingredients and then finished products and analyse your process to see the risks of cross-contamination during operations and put control measures in to prevent cross-contamination. All of which may need to be documented in an allergen management plan.

In your case it may be that you make one product, clean down, then make the next product whilst issuing and retrieving ingredients and packaging and reconciling the weight/volume/numbers each time.

FSSC 22000 Version 6.0 Additional requirements for 2.5.6 Management of Allergens (All Food Chain Categories) are:

The organization shall have a documented allergen management plan that includes:

a) A list of all the allergens handled on site, including in raw materials and finished products;

b) Risk assessment covering all potential sources of allergen cross-contamination;

c) Identification and implementation of control measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of cross-contamination, based on the outcome of the risk assessment; and

d) Validation and verification of these control measures ….

Where more than one product is produced in the same production area that have different allergen profiles, verification testing shall be conducted at a frequency based on risk, e.g. surface testing, air sampling and/or product testing;

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users