• Quick Navigation
Photo

Clause 8.5.1.2 - Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

joelchenda

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Zambia
    Zambia

Posted 11 January 2024 - 11:54 AM

Hello all

Can anyone help me understand what is required to fulfill the requirement for clause 8.5.1.2(i) acceptance criteria related to food safety or specifications of purchased materials and ingredients appropriate to their intended use. We are in the chicken processing industry producing raw and further processed (cooked/smoked)chicken products and we are revising raw materials characteristics as per ISO 22000:2018.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 January 2024 - 04:35 AM

Hi joelchenda,

Normally I would expect you to have a raw material specification that covers this requirement. This specification may be from your supplier and approved by yourself or if you generate your own raw materials specifications then you should have documented confirmation from your supplier that they agree to meet the specification.

The specification should include the following as appropriate (from Clause 8.5.1.2):

a) biological, chemical and physical characteristics

b) composition of formulated ingredients, including additives and processing aids;

c) source (e.g. animal, mineral or vegetable);

d) place of origin (provenance);

e) method of production;

f) method of packaging and delivery;

g) storage conditions and shelf life;

h) preparation and/or handling before use or processing;

i) acceptance criteria related to food safety or specifications of purchased materials and ingredients

Based on your hazard analysis and intended use you will need to decide what acceptance criteria you want to apply, this may be micro limits, temperature on arrival, absence of antibiotics etc.

As an example, if you are simply portioning and packing raw chicken then your raw materials specification needs to at least match your end product specification unless you are reducing any hazards such as reducing microbiological loading by washing.

Kind regards,

Tony

rishimala

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 29 January 2024 - 01:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

Can you please assist me to interpret the clause 8.5.1.2 (h) preparation and/or handling before use or processing? Does this define the activity carry out at manufacturer process or supplier's process? 

Regards,

Raja

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:57 AM

Hi Everyone,

Can you please assist me to interpret the clause 8.5.1.2 (h) preparation and/or handling before use or processing? Does this define the activity carry out at manufacturer process or supplier's process? 

Regards,

Raja

Hi Raja,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

ISO 22000:2018 Food safety management systems — Requirements for any organization in the food chain Clause 8.5.1.2 Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials:

h) preparation and/or handling before use or processing; are typically instructions relating to what your site needs to do, not the supplier.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users