Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 267 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:02 PM

Starting a brand new facility (former vegetable plant being transformed into a Meat Alternative Plant after sitting empty a couple years). 
This is new territory for me being at the ground floor of a plant.  I've tested water before, but only after everything has been established.

We're HOPING to begin production in May, but want to have the water tested now, in case we need to install filters (this area is known for hard water).

Should we take multiple samples from different areas, or will one be good?
We're testing for Coliform and E. coli.  What else should we test for? 

The lab we're using tests for (water, environment, etc.):

TPC

Y&M

Staphylococcus

Staph. Aureus

Coliform

E.coli

Enterobacteriaceae

Lactic Acid Bacteria

Salmonella

Listeria ssp

Listeria M.

Vibrio

PH, Water Activity

Salt, Moisture

WPS

Fat

Milk, Soy, Gluten

Peanut, Egg, Crustacea

Other 

Thanks!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:10 PM

I would test EVERYWHERE for:

heavy metals  (particularly in a very old plant where pipes may still be lead)  if something shows up, you aren't operating yet so now is the best time in case the floors need broken up to replace water lines

E coli and coliform

and go from there 

• G M likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:59 PM

PFAS are getting a lot of attention.

-Setanta         

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 267 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2024 - 06:15 PM

I would test EVERYWHERE for:

heavy metals  (particularly in a very old plant where pipes may still be lead)  if something shows up, you aren't operating yet so now is the best time in case the floors need broken up to replace water lines

E coli and coliform

and go from there 

Thanks.

Actually the plant isn't all that old.  It burned down in '96 and was completely rebuilt. Then the vegetable company closed this site in 2018.  They have (at least) 2 other plants on the other side of the state.

The company I work for bought it last spring/summer and have been updating/remodeling it since then.  I started last month to start getting policies in place (tweaking the Canada plant polices to fit US), get vendors in place, and prep for BRC. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:06 PM

The fire is all the more reason to test everywhere 

Do you know for absolute certain the the water lines in the floor were replaced????   If not, they need a major flush prior to testing AND prior to operations

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jay2023

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:18 PM

not sure about USA but we carry out Legionella testing in the UK- this would be relevant to you as its likely the pipes have not been flushed for a long time.

You might need to get someone in to sterilize the pipework.

jay2023

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:26 PM

Also for the mains water supply you should be able to get a test certificate from the water company- this would cover heavy metals, chemicals and micro- you would then only need to worry about micro testing to cover your factory pipe work(assuming you don't have ancient pipework)

I would test for:

Total count(TVC)

Coliform

E.coli

Enterobacteriaceae

Listeria M.

And have a legionella program in place. Remove dead legs from pipework, regular use /flushing of taps/pipework- this should be done weekly.

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 267 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:06 PM

The fire is all the more reason to test everywhere 

Do you know for absolute certain the the water lines in the floor were replaced????   If not, they need a major flush prior to testing AND prior to operations

The plant was rebuilt and processed vegetables for 20 years after the fire.  I don't think the fire is an issue any longer.  I do agree the pipes will need to be flushed because they have been sitting for a couple years.

It'll be at least May before we're up and running as our contractors are having difficulties getting some parts.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:13 PM

Also for the mains water supply you should be able to get a test certificate from the water company- ...

That wouldn't account for contamination coming from the facilities own hardware, or faults in it.

I would pull a preliminary composite sample from multiple points in the building before doing anything and have it tested for a standard potable water assessment.

Depending on what you find, that will let you know if a system flush or more detailed micro assessment is in order before you dump a bunch of time and other resources on it.

jay2023

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:46 PM

That wouldn't account for contamination coming from the facilities own hardware, or faults in it.

I would pull a preliminary composite sample from multiple points in the building before doing anything and have it tested for a standard potable water assessment.

Depending on what you find, that will let you know if a system flush or more detailed micro assessment is in order before you dump a bunch of time and other resources on it.

Yes you will need regular micro testing- i mentioned this, but other types of testing (heavy metals ect) shouldn't be required- the prerequisites should cover this and only suitable materials should be used for the pipework/fittings

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 February 2024 - 08:54 PM

...other types of testing (heavy metals ect) shouldn't be required- the prerequisites should cover this and only suitable materials should be used for the pipework/fittings

OP hasn't stated what the water source is.  Even if it was municipal instead of a well, their testing probably doesn't account for any of the materials, damage, repair work, etc. in probably several miles of water line buried on public and private properties between where the agency pulled their sample and the end of the line where it goes in the food. 

Lots of things should be, that doesn't mean they are.  It's what verification is for.  More objective answers are available from a relatively simple and inexpensive test.  

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 16 February 2024 - 05:20 AM

You can add:

Chemical parameters