Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2024 - 04:45 PM

I have changed from a meat processing plant to a pet food bag manufacturing plant. There seems to be a difference in how tape is viewed in in these two Industries. In my new capacity they do not do wet cleaning the way meat processing plants do and possibly because of that they have gotten in the habit of using tape on machines. This seems like a grey area to me. I would prefer to have it all removed and use magnets. Does anyone have any insight on the difference between what is allowable in the food packaging vs. meat industry on tape?

Thank you in advance.

Martha

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 March 2024 - 05:26 PM

I can't imagine a food processing or packaging plant where it would be OK.

It is temporary, and inspectors and auditors do not like seeing any kind of temporary repair. 

It can be a pest (insect) harborage site.

It can fall into the product you are manufacturing.

Just a few...

• G M likes this

-Setanta         

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 March 2024 - 03:37 PM

My last audit I was written up for having instructions for the metal detector tapped to it.   Honestly, I didn't put them there, and forgot they were even there, as I was just used to seeing them there for the last 15 years, and the previous fstl would put up fresh ones every year.

But part of my CAR was removing tape from everything, and then training the crew to not use tape for anything anymore.

So no go.   No tape for you.  (tape nazi....)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 27 March 2024 - 01:11 PM

Greetings Martha,

Tape can be a source of contamination, as the adhesive material can easily gather microbial and chemical contaminants and furthermore it can be an undetectable physical contaminant on itself. It is not recommended. Magnets pose a psysical hazard, but can be controlled way better than tape.

Nothing else but good practice and common sense specifies anything about the use of tape.

Regards!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users