charedo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Greetings,

I'm doing a project and looking into fast food safety issues. I was going to see if any member could talk a little bit about recent concerns/issues in the fast food industry, in terms of which ones are the most important (refrigeration, energy, spoilage). It seems like there are rules constantly changing, do fast food restaurants have to follow HACCP or is it just expected. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

Dear Charedo,

Might suggest that a prime safety issue relates to maintaining the health of the consumer. This in itself is not a small subject (Google gives 26M xrefs!).This also gives some reviews (from varying viewpoints of course), eg
http://www.organicco...tfood032103.cfm

For some countries, eg USA, there are yearly summaries of food/health relates issues though I can't remember if the categorisation includes fast food. Can try Googling CDC if you are interested.

Can also see some of the most immediate issues in the 'Newsboy' articles at this forum, eg Taco Bell (I guess this is fast food?, I'm not USA based).

http://www.fda.gov/b...6/NEW01518.html

Good Luck!

Rgds / Charles.C

added - just noticed yr query HACCP, this would offer a potentially narrower topic if that is yr objective however requirements will probably depend on location of industry via legal demands, etc although conceptually the fast food industry probably offers unilateral support but perhaps not always the implementation :whistle:

Edited by Charles.C, 09 December 2006 - 08:51 PM.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KellyB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Family, painting, music, scuba diving, bowling

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

Well, Charedo, I suppose it depends on which country you are situated and to the laws applied there. I think that in Europe HACCP is a must for fast-food restaurants. But try to find some more information, the HACCP standard will be off soon in some countries, it is now switched to ISO 22000:2005. In my country for instance, all the companies that deal with food (restaurants, importers, caterers, fast-food restaurants etc.) have a deadline for March 2007. The controls remain almost the same but the new standard is international and more detailed.
Hope that this helped you a little.
Regards and Merry Xmas :bye:
KellyB

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY..!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

Dear Kelly,

I note yr enthusiasm / optimism for ISO22k but you may find that many Europaeans do not share this view (except auditors of course :whistle: ). This is also related to the widespread use of BRC food and other related systems (seemingly often considered superior to ISO22k) in Europe. But perhaps not in Greece ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

I note yr enthusiasm / optimism for ISO22k but you may find that many Europaeans do not share this view (except auditors of course :whistle: ). This is also related to the widespread use of BRC food and other related systems (seemingly often considered superior to ISO22k) in Europe. But perhaps not in Greece ??

Greece is a fully 'paid up' member of the dysfunctional family of democratic European countries. God help her. :rolleyes: Europe is really big now.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

KellyB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Family, painting, music, scuba diving, bowling

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

Dear Kelly,

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles. C,
In fact I am not so optimistic for ISO 22K, I just HOPE :biggrin: that this will help to a uniformity in our business with the non-European countries. Allow me to say that auditors are not so happy either, they are also confused with all the "codes" and "trees" of ISO 22k. For example, I have prepared a draft of our ISO Plan (hardly 2 pages) and sent it for approval to our consultant and to my surprise a week later I had to clarify 10 different points - though my company's Plan is very simple indeed!
I guess we shall all have to learn the hard way . And to reply to your question, BRC IS considered superior here also (according to my information) but since we are obliged to follow the ISO 22k, we shall do so... :angry:
I suppose the key is what exactly you're dealing with and with whom. For example, here we import foodstuff from Asia. Would it surprise you if I told you that there are some exporters in China, in Thailand, in Korea and in Philippines that replied "what is that?" when we asked them if they are HACCP certified or even compliant...? This is why I say that we hope that a worlwide standard as Iso 22k is (supposed) to be will help our business. We shall see I guess!
Regards and best wishes for a prosperous New Year,
Kelly B.

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY..!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

Greetings,

I'm doing a project and looking into fast food safety issues. I was going to see if any member could talk a little bit about recent concerns/issues in the fast food industry, in terms of which ones are the most important (refrigeration, energy, spoilage). It seems like there are rules constantly changing, do fast food restaurants have to follow HACCP or is it just expected. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hello Charedo, Like Kelly said in Europe HACCP has recently been made mandatory for fast food restaurants and all other food service establishments. HACCP probably won't be expected by your customers but whether it is required from the authorities is another thing; perhaps you can tell us your country? What I can say is that a HACCP based system is a good idea for any link in the food chain for helping to assure safety of food.

Have any of the replies been helpful?

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

rajareddy3g

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

hi charedo

my name is raj

please could you help me on the topic i m doing
I am doing project on food safety in fast food restaurants, I am expecting any information from you about the topic

please please if you have any information regarding this topic please let me know.

appreciation and thanks in advance

Greetings,

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

Raj can you be more specific on the information you are seeking - what's the project about - more detail please.

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Dear Charles. C,
In fact I am not so optimistic for ISO 22K, I just HOPE :biggrin: that this will help to a uniformity in our business with the non-European countries. Allow me to say that auditors are not so happy either, they are also confused with all the "codes" and "trees" of ISO 22k. For example, I have prepared a draft of our ISO Plan (hardly 2 pages) and sent it for approval to our consultant and to my surprise a week later I had to clarify 10 different points - though my company's Plan is very simple indeed!
I guess we shall all have to learn the hard way . And to reply to your question, BRC IS considered superior here also (according to my information) but since we are obliged to follow the ISO 22k, we shall do so... :angry:
I suppose the key is what exactly you're dealing with and with whom. For example, here we import foodstuff from Asia. Would it surprise you if I told you that there are some exporters in China, in Thailand, in Korea and in Philippines that replied "what is that?" when we asked them if they are HACCP certified or even compliant...? This is why I say that we hope that a worlwide standard as Iso 22k is (supposed) to be will help our business. We shall see I guess!
Regards and best wishes for a prosperous New Year,
Kelly B.

Hi Kelly,

Yes, you are right, indeed in the Philippines, HACCP is just a blooming concept. Mostly multinational companies and exporters are only people who complies to haccp requirements because of customers' demand. Local companies only have GMP accreditation by the local FDA here. Hopefully, HACCP will be widespread probably followed by 22000. I'm not so sure if BRC standards can be applied here, i haven't seen the standard myself.

Regards,

Majoy

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users