• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

:angry:
I know about a company in India which systematically flouts all rules and regulations, do not treat effluents in the night and let them out without treatment. It was caught by local pollution control board and company was closed at least 2-3 times in the last 2 years, but they come out with money power. The fun is that company is both 9001 and 14001 certified for the last 5 years or so.

Recently when the 14001 surveillance audit was going on there was a fire in the factory as there was a leak from one of the high pressure reactors. I heard that only minor NCs were raised during audit. Under these circumstances what can one say about the systems? Or one has to grill the cerifying body?(There may be many more companies like this). Sometimes one wonders whether systems are for preaching only.

Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

:angry:
I know about a company in India which systematically flouts all rules and regulations, do not treat effluents in the night and let them out without treatment. It was caught by local pollution control board and company was closed at least 2-3 times in the last 2 years, but they come out with money power. The fun is that company is both 9001 and 14001 certified for the last 5 years or so.

Recently when the 14001 surveillance audit was going on there was a fire in the factory as there was a leak from one of the high pressure reactors. I heard that only minor NCs were raised during audit. Under these circumstances what can one say about the systems? Or one has to grill the cerifying body?(There may be many more companies like this). Sometimes one wonders whether systems are for preaching only.

Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

Sounds like a great company. :thumbdown:

This kind of story is not unheard of and many companies with ISO 9001 / ISO 14001 Certification (Accredited or Unaccredited) are very poor. As a customer I would always visit key suppliers, not always for a full blown audit, but just to reassure myself they were not cowboys. It's quite easy to establish a companies level of committment to quality etc. without opening a procedures manual or checking a document. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

Dear Simon,

As you rightly put it I have found experienced that customer audit can be more demanding than audit by certification bodies as every customer his own criteria of looking at things and one cannot antoganize the customer as 'customer is the king'.

Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

Just another query which came to my mind? Has any certification body withdrawn any company's certification anywhere in the world(let it be 9001,14001 or 22000)? Any idea?

Best regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

Just another query which came to my mind? Has any certification body withdrawn any company's certification anywhere in the world(let it be 9001,14001 or 22000)? Any idea?

Best regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

I can say categorically yes, but I guess not so many. Come on Certification Body Reps, here is your chance to show your sanctity. :smile: Tell us how many - how often?

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Dear Simon,

sanctity

noun

1. The quality of being holy or sacred: blessedness, holiness, sacredness, sacrosanctity. See religion.
2. The quality or condition of being safe from assault, trespass, or violation: inviolability, sacredness, sacrosanctity.

The offer of the day ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

Dear Simon,

sanctity

noun

1. The quality of being holy or sacred: blessedness, holiness, sacredness, sacrosanctity. See religion.
2. The quality or condition of being safe from assault, trespass, or violation: inviolability, sacredness, sacrosanctity.

The offer of the day ?

Rgds / Charles.C

A big word to live up to; maybe it is not possible? :whistle:

Simon

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:52 AM

Best regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

yes! I heard some cases in LRQA

Also during take over audits.

Tell us about the certification body of that company.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users