Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

We have installed a UV sterilizer for passing water through it in a critical operation step. Earlier we were using RO (reverse osmosis) water from a storage tank and some times it used to have microbes after storing for a day or two. Now my query is whether we can use UV disinfection in the process as well? Any body has any experience ?

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

We have installed a UV sterilizer for passing water through it in a critical operation step. Earlier we were using RO (reverse osmosis) water from a storage tank and some times it used to have microbes after storing for a day or two. Now my query is whether we can use UV disinfection in the process as well? Any body has any experience ?

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

I know nothing about UV sterilization, however there is an article on the website that could be a good read: UV Disinfection In The Food And Beverage Industry

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

suly

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:44 AM

I think there are 2 factors you should take into consideration.
First, how about your water resourse.?Sometimes the water from well will have more microbiology problems than city supply water. The function of UV sterilization is limited.
The other factor is that you'd better inspect the whole water flow process,including the water pipes, all the tanks. Make sure all these place are well maintained and you should have a sanitation as well as sterilization schedule on concerning facilities.
In my factory, we use city supply water,and we set 2 UV sterilizers on the water line. One is set in the entrance of the water tank. Another is set in the exit of water tank, after that,water will go to the factory. By these steps, we can hardly inspect microbes in the water.

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

Dear Sankara:

Sure you can do so. But you need to bear in mind that after the sterilization, how long you need to hold it before you use it. The longer your keep or store the sterilized water, the more chance for the proliferation of microorganisms due to post sterilization contamination.

Another thing is, do you have any pre-filter / treatment before the UV sterilization process? If no, then you need to be more careful as the loading of the microorganisms may be very high and the time taken for the water to be exposed to the UV light may not be adequate to kill all the pathogens.

Any comment from the rest?

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:29 AM

Dear Yong & Suly,

May be I should have been more clear. We have two sources of contamination. One is the water which is passed through a sand filter and RO . Now we have installed a UV sterilizer after RO as water storage after RO can sometimes be source of microbes.

Second source is the product itself. We handle the product in the form of a dilute solution. It is passed through a micro filter(where it removes the microbes and larger particles) and then an ultra filter where the additives are washed off with water. Simon's link shows that UV can be used in sugar syrups. Similarly, I was wondering whether I could use a UV sterilizer during ultra filtration as well?

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

Dear Sankara:

For me, if the sterilization does not affect your product's eating quality (and without any by-product due to decomposition etc) then it is ok. I don't see any health hazard with the installation of the steriliser.

suly

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

Dear Sankara,
I don't think there will be any inconvenience if you set UV steriliser on the place. But the effect of the function relate to some factors, fluid temperature, microbe quantity in the water, microbe type, etc. all these will affect the final result.
I suggest may be you shoul contact with your UV sterilizer supplier, make experiment and evaluate to find the best way to control your microbe.

Suly

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users