Chac

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany
  • Interests:music( Gothic; Punk; Metal; Indie);culture of Maya; Canada;<br />Mangas/Animes;student club; ski jumping ...and of course food

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Dear Sankara Narayanan,
I know my answer to this topic comes quite late, but as I`m a new member here I didn´t read it earlier.
I find this article very intresting as I worked on a project concerning stevia (topic: " EXtraction and purification of stevia"). During my researches I´ve read an article ( can´t find it anymore)saying stevia is dangerous in higher amounts but later saying only in such high amounts that normal sugar would be dangerous, too. Although it is not likely that anyone consumes such a high dosis of stevia. The action against stevia often comes from the industry producing synthetic sweetener.
I am not one of those guys buying the plant to use it for sweetening or buying any "light" products at all (and I never will be, their tasting terrible). But for those people who got a sugar disease It would be a good alternative to the synthetic sweetener, which can lead to cancer. Stevia sounds much healthier to me than this stuff.

By the way:
I don´t have a good opinion about the Coca- company anymore
http://www.guardian....1004598,00.html
Our student club takes part in that boycott, too. :banned:

Greetings Chac

"I believe in a madness called now."
(X-Japan--Art of life)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

By the way:
I don´t have a good opinion about the Coca- company anymore
http://www.guardian....1004598,00.html
Our student club takes part in that boycott, too. :banned:

Corporate Social Responsibility. :thumbdown:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Chac

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany
  • Interests:music( Gothic; Punk; Metal; Indie);culture of Maya; Canada;<br />Mangas/Animes;student club; ski jumping ...and of course food

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Corporate Social Responsibility. :thumbdown:

Huh?? What do you mean?

Greetings Chac

"I believe in a madness called now."
(X-Japan--Art of life)

KellyB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Family, painting, music, scuba diving, bowling

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Hi all,
A Sankara,
Are you talking about the known as "sweetleaf" of the sunflower family?
I think the Japanese and Chinese people use it a lot and that it's native in Paraguay where people use it since the Pre-colombian times as a natural sweetener. I think that anything is better than aspartame that gives such a terrible taste. I only don't know if diabetics can use it as well. Anyone?
Rgds/KellyB.

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY..!

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Dear all,

Aspartame is the most widely used artificial sweetener in table top sweetener formulations and others. At the same time there are lot of controversies surrounding to its usage as well(even though USFDA has given a clean chit to it recently). It is in this context that formulations with natural sweeteners has its importance. Stevia is one which at present the most 'popular' one. The attachments will be useful, I believe, to throw some light on the matter. :whistle:
Basically these sweeteners are aimed at diabetic patients and those who are calorie conscious.

Attached File  Sugar_substitutes.pdf   33.9KB   29 downloads
Attached File  Sweeteners_confidence_EN.pdf   110.91KB   29 downloads
Attached File  Stevia_Sugar__Stevioside.jpg   49.7KB   14 downloads

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

Huh?? What do you mean?

Greetings Chac

They all say the do it. What is CSR?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

Dear All,

:off_topic:

"Corporate social responsibility" is bunk.

- acc. to Milton Friedman anyway.

http://www.opinionjo...ml?id=110009295

This is probably the most incomprehensible article I have seen this year.

Returning to Sankara's topic -

"Even though the petitions contained extensive data and research that proved the safe historical use of stevia as a food, FDA was reportedly not satisfied with the research submitted because the studies were conducted outside the United States and published in foreign journals."

Lovely word - "Reportedly".

Stevia (S. rebaudiana), a South American herb with a natural, sweet taste,

We’re producing rebiana

Easier to remember presumably.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

Well, if this "test" goes well, I believe the FDA will lift the ban on Stevia to be used as food additives? :dunno:

Posted Image Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times
The FDA limits it to dietary supplements.

The sweetener is banned from food products in the U.S. due to toxicity fears. But the findings of several recent studies suggest otherwise.By Elena Conis, Special to The Times
August 25, 2008 Stevia followers are a diverse bunch, including health nuts and food-industry magnates. The draw? The sweetener is all-natural and naturally calorie-free. But "natural" doesn't necessarily mean safe, and scientists have long struggled to make sense of early evidence hinting that stevia could be toxic. A series of studies published last month in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology put that question to the test for one type of stevia-based sweeteners.

Stevia, a South American shrub, has leaves up to 300 times sweeter than table sugar. Extracts have been available as a dietary supplement since 1995. It's a popular food additive in Japan, Brazil and its native Paraguay, but in the U.S., where the Food and Drug Administration has determined there isn't sufficient proof it's nontoxic, stevia is banned from such uses. (Exceptions are made for food and drink items billing themselves as dietary supplements, such as the stevia-sweetened diet drink Zevia.)

The sponsors of the recently published studies -- food manufacturer Cargill and the Coca-Cola Co. -- hope that in light of recent findings, the agency will reconsider its position on the calorie-free sweetener.

Scientists began studying stevia in the lab roughly 40 years ago, and the first findings gave food safety officials in several countries pause. A 1968 study in female rats showed that drinking a concoction of stevia leaves and stems significantly reduced fertility. A 1985 study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, showed that steviol, a breakdown product of stevia, might cause genetic mutations. (In Paraguayan traditional medicine, stevia is used to lower blood sugar and as a contraceptive.)

Evidence of genetic and reproductive toxicity was sufficient to inspire a ban on the sweetener in the U.S. since the 1970s. (The 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act made it legal to sell stevia as a dietary supplement only, as long as it's not an ingredient in food.) But the research on which the FDA based its long-ago decision may now be out of date. In the last decade, countless studies have revisited stevia, often using purer extracts.

The more-recent research has largely focused on purified forms of the two main chemicals responsible for the stevia plant's sweetness: stevioside and rebaudioside A. Findings from some studies -- still few in number -- have resulted in a perhaps overstated claim: that stevia lowers blood pressure.

For example, a 2000 study of 100 adults in Taiwan showed that 250 milligrams of stevioside a day lowered subjects' blood pressure by 8% to 12% within three months. A 2003 Chinese study in which nearly 170 adults were given 1,500 mg of stevioside daily in three 500 mg doses also reported that subjects' blood pressure went down. (Both doses are far greater than the amount of stevioside in the few grains of powdered stevia it takes to sweeten a cup of tea.)

Authors of a 2006 report by the World Health Organization acknowledged the promise of the blood pressure studies. The authors also reviewed the dozens of lab and animal studies that had been done on stevioside and rebaudioside A in recent years -- and concluded that the compounds appear unlikely to harm DNA or the reproductive system.

The eight studies published in Food and Chemical Toxicology last month went even further. One report showed no reproductive toxicity in rats exposed to the sweetener for two generations, and two human studies showed that 1,000 mg of rebaudioside A per day was safe for healthy adults as well as those with Type 2 diabetes. Rebaudioside A (dubbed Rebiana by Coca-Cola and Cargill) is "safe for human consumption," three of the study authors wrote. They did not report on stevioside.

These latest findings -- should the FDA find them compelling -- may be good news for food manufacturers, which have long sought a natural zero-calorie sugar alternative to market to the calorie-conscious public.

But some aren't convinced it's good news for consumers just yet. Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest Group, a Washington, D.C.-based nutrition advocacy group, said the research still hasn't quelled concerns about stevia's genetic toxicity. Although dozens of studies have shown stevia compounds to be harmless, a handful suggest it can damage genetic material. "It's a warning flag," he said.

Jacobson added that genetic toxicity may turn out to be attributable to a specific species or component of stevia. Cargill, meanwhile, is certain that at least one stevia component is safe. Rebaudioside A, under the brand name Truvia, is already on store shelves in New York as a test, with the FDA's blessing. Consumers can expect to see it across the country this fall -- if the FDA agrees.

health@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.c...0,5354629.story

&quot;World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer.&quot;

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! &gt;&gt; &lt;&lt;

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users