• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Japan
    Japan

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hi all,

I was born and grew up in New Zealand. Popular through the 80's and maybe 90's was to eat fish and chips (fatty deep fried junk food) from old newspapers. The health and safety regulators stopped this I assume because of possible chemical hazards related from the ink.

I now live in Japan and fish and chips are becoming popular in certain pubs and convenient stores. I noticed that they are serving the fish and chips not on old newspapers but paper designed to look like newspaper with ink directly touching the food. I asked the waiter about this and he said, "Because the customers like it". I asked about any food safety issues but that went over his head. There seems to be a conflict between quality - satisfying customer's needs and wants (good food presentation) and food safety (chemical hazard).

What are your opinions on this? Is ink really a hazard of significance? Do you know of any cases where ink used from newspaper or packaging has caused an allergic reaction etc? Do you know of any laws or guidance about the use of ink on packaging?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Dear Gavinova,

A question for the packaging gurus but I think this aspect has been discussed a few times here already though perhaps not from allergic aspect. :dunno:

Can try this thread for a starter - http://www.ifsqn.com...t...21&hl=label

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

I was born and grew up in New Zealand. Popular through the 80's and maybe 90's was to eat fish and chips (fatty deep fried junk food) from old newspapers.

Mmmmmm delicious, how dare you call it junk food. :biggrin: In the UK fish and chips in newspaper also disappeared a long while ago. I imagine it was becuase of chemical migration issues. Or maybe it was too difficult to read news stories on the side of a battered haddock. :lol: Ok enough already.

In answer to your question the risk depends on the type of printing ink. Most printing inks are not suitable for direct contact with food and there are postive / negative lists in most countries. So either the newspaper is designed and printed with food contact approved inks or they must be breaking the law of the land.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Gavinova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Japan
    Japan

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for the info. I will study it up when I get the chance!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users