Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

What a beano of a day for you Caz. First the milk revelation and now a spot of Cadbury's bashing, what better way to start a weekend. Friday the 13th...pah! :thumbup:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

Dear Caz,

:clap: :clap:

Did you know there is a Welsh Eagle ?

Posted Image

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Cadbury Schweppes Plc, the world's biggest confectioner, was fined 1 million pounds ($2 million) by a U.K. court for producing chocolate contaminated with salmonella.

The company was fined today at Birmingham Crown Court in England, a court spokeswoman said by telephone. Cadbury pleaded guilty last month to three counts of violating U.K. food hygiene regulations brought by Birmingham City Council. It also admitted to related charges brought by Herefordshire Council this month.
The company's U.K. chocolate sales declined after Cadbury alerted the public in June 2006 that traces of salmonella were found in some bars and recalled some of its lines. The confectioner said at the time it didn't report the discovery of the bacteria in January of that year because the contamination level was too low to require notification.

``The explanation for it was completely unacceptable,'' Nick Lowe, Birmingham council's food safety team leader, said today at a press conference televised by international broadcasters. ``What most concerned us, I think, was the lack of communication with the local authority.''

The recall cost the company 30 million pounds, London-based Cadbury said in December.

Cadbury said today it accepted the fine and stated that the production and testing processes that allowed the contaminated chocolate to go onto the market would never be used again.

Production, Testing

``We have significantly changed our production and testing processes,'' at a cost of more than 20 million pounds, the company said in an e-mailed statement. ``We sincerely regret these lapses.''

Cadbury was charged with supplying ``unsafe'' products and failing to immediately inform authorities about the contamination, as well as failure to identify ``critical control points and corrective actions,'' according to the councils.

The charges relate to the condition of a drainage pipe and roof vent at the chocolate maker's Marlbrook site, the layout of the factory, the provision of drainage facilities and the cleaning and disinfection of equipment, including conveyors and storage silos, Herefordshire Council said in a statement.

So all in all well over £50,000,000 down the drain. The £1,000,000 fine is just a very public slap on the wrists. And the root cause was 'cost cutting' - not very successful was it. :unsure:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

So all in all well over £50,000,000 down the drain. The £1,000,000 fine is just a very public slap on the wrists. And the root cause was 'cost cutting' - not very successful was it. :unsure:

A million £ fine??

Cheap at 5 times the price!!

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

''Penny-wise Pound-foolish'' :thumbdown: