Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

I'm after some feedback on this product. It's an IR Thermometer and ballpoint pen in one. :helpplease:

Useful tool or not?
Would you buy one?

Posted Image

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Chac

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany
  • Interests:music( Gothic; Punk; Metal; Indie);culture of Maya; Canada;<br />Mangas/Animes;student club; ski jumping ...and of course food

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

I'm after some feedback on this product. It's an IR Thermometer and ballpoint pen in one. :helpplease:

Useful tool or not?
Would you buy one?

Dear Simon,

this sounds more likely being a toy than a tool. I mean what´s the point of that thing? Couldn´t it be done by an ordinary IR Thermometer? Or has this thermometer any special function (except of the writing function)? Is it much cheaper than other thermometers?
This would be reasons for buying

Well, no I wouldn´t buy it
But maybe other members have other opinions

Greetings Chac

"I believe in a madness called now."
(X-Japan--Art of life)

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

Dear Simon,

I feel such 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 items(or may be even more) are of interest only as fancy things and not of any utility value. So I certainly woudnt buy one. (Any plans to offer it as a gift..?) :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:26 PM

Dear Simon,

I rather doubt the writing capability after using it for the designated upper temperature ranges, or even boiling water for that matter :smile:

added- :oops: just noticed the IR, apologies to the manufacturer, but even so, how close do you have to be to point it accurately ? I can remember an inspector using one when they were just becoming popular to check low temperatures and it passed or failed depending on where his feet were.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

This sounds more likely being a toy than a tool. I mean what´s the point of that thing? Couldn´t it be done by an ordinary IR Thermometer? Or has this thermometer any special function (except of the writing function)? Is it much cheaper than other thermometers?
This would be reasons for buying

Well, no I wouldn´t buy it

I feel such 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 items (or may be even more) are of interest only as fancy things and not of any utility value. So I certainly woudnt buy one. (Any plans to offer it as a gift..?) :rolleyes:

I rather doubt the writing capability after using it for the designated upper temperature ranges, or even boiling water for that matter :smile:

added- :oops: just noticed the IR, apologies to the manufacturer, but even so, how close do you have to be to point it accurately ? I can remember an inspector using one when they were just becoming popular to check low temperatures and it passed or failed depending on where his feet were.

Oh dear.

It is a bit of a gimmick, although the thermometer works well and the pen writes very well (in ambient temperature). I’ve not tried it at extreme temperatures. It’s very sturdy and good quality, but I don’t think I’ll be investing in a truck load. I could get some printed and give them away as competition prizes. You’d want one then wouldn’t you? :yeahrite:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Gavinova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Japan
    Japan

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

"I’ve not tried it at extreme temperatures."

I wouldn't want to be standing around writing stuff at 220 degrees! :biggrin:

Interesting idea anyway. It will probably end up being adopted everywhere despite our forum sledging!

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

Have you got room to insert it on your glass register???

I haven't and wouldn't but it!

Regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

"I’ve not tried it at extreme temperatures."

I wouldn't want to be standing around writing stuff at 220 degrees! :biggrin:

Interesting idea anyway. It will probably end up being adopted everywhere despite our forum sledging!

LOL good point gavinova. :thumbup: And yes it will probably be a massive success in a few years. I'm well known for being ahead of my time. Whilst at school in the 70's I linked two BBC computers together with a coat hanger, a battery and some aluminium foil. It worked loely, but they told me it would never catch on. :unsure:

Have you got room to insert it on your glass register???

I haven't and wouldn't but it!

Food safety has gone really silly when this pen is included in the glass register. Agree???

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

Ha Ha I totally agree!

By the way, we passed the BRC inspection yet again and after getting the CCPs down to 1 (throughout the factory) from approx 7 in every process, thanks to the discussions and help from this site.

However we did get a minor non-conformance: MOP BUCKETS WERE NOT COLOUR CO-CORDINATED (5.5.11)

Best Regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Well done Steve. You know they're really scratching the bottom of the 'mop bucket' when that's the best they can come up with. :thumbdown:

Just remind me what that clause says - I've lost my copy of the standard and don't want to buy another copy until the new one comes out in January 08.

Simon

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

5.1.11 says:

Materials and equipment used for cleaning toilets shall be segregated from those used elsewhere.

Best regards,

Steve

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

5.1.11 says: Materials and equipment used for cleaning toilets shall be segregated from those used elsewhere.

Segregated yes, physically and visibly would be best, but in my opinion physical segregation is better than just a colour to denote area of use. If it’s there they’ll use it.

I'm presuming your toilets are outside of production; if so and your mop bucket was stored there, I question the validity of the Non Conformity. It would be worth a row at the very least.

Regards,
Simon

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

Toilets are outside of production, mops and buckets are stored in the store room in female changing room, again outside of production, we did have different colour buckets but no wording on them. I suppose I'll have to also change the cleaning schedule to show what colour buckets are to be utilised in what area!

Kind regards,

Steve

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Toilets are outside of production, mops and buckets are stored in the store room in female changing room, again outside of production, we did have different colour buckets but no wording on them. I suppose I'll have to also change the cleaning schedule to show what colour buckets are to be utilised in what area!

Kind regards,

Steve

Seems a bit harsh to me Steve. You must be doing good if the auditor has to resort to this level of nit picking. I bet it wasn't Brian F.

Regards,
Simon

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Kind regards,

Steve

They may be concerned that the females, if caught short, may resort to the buckets!! ( to drown people getting on their nerves...like auditors ;) )

So i'd do Pink buckets in the Ladies, and Baby Blue in the gents.
MMMM sounds like segregation, maybe not politically correct!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

Dear Cazx,

A nice reduction to the Lowest Common Denominator :smile:

Yr comment reminds me that I was once told by an avid Welsh rugby fan that the most popular items taken into matches at Cardiff were wide-mouthed bottles of alcohol, even by non-drinkers.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

So should I get a few of these thermometeres for competition prizes or to test the maket? :dunno:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:49 PM

Dear Simon,

"ON TOPIC"

In these troubled times, dare one ask the Country of Origin ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

Dear Simon,

"ON TOPIC"

In these troubled times, dare one ask the Country of Origin ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Taiwan I think.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

Dear Simon,

Hmmm. No specific objections come to mind.

You didn't mention the cost and I don't know if these gadgets are found everywhere in UK already (?), have never encountered one myself. If a novelty, sounds like a nice Xmas freebie for valued customers (my guess is that people won't worry about the pen part being good or otherwise, usually the latter). If so, I would check that the battery lasts longer than 1 month and exists in UK. I predict it is not very precise, how do you calibrate it - point it at a chunk of ice ?

Have tried several cheap, nonIR pen thermometers and they all suffered from design flaws - LCD displays being particularly vulnerable to giving partial numbers within short time (from UK also!) together with useless battery compartments. Most of them were not very accurate and with no chance of zero adjustment. Similar comment for pen type pH meters. Ended up using larger more traditional units. Conclusion - you get what you pay for.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Dear Cazx,

A nice reduction to the Lowest Common Denominator :smile:

Yr comment reminds me that I was once told by an avid Welsh rugby fan that the most popular items taken into matches at Cardiff were wide-mouthed bottles of alcohol, even by non-drinkers.

Rgds / Charles.C

We've gone all posh now with Bars, Toilets, Seats.....and even a Sliding Roof!!!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image

I've made an executive decision. :rolleyes:

I'm going to give this amazing gizmo away in a forum competition.

I need to think...

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

I've made an executive decision. :rolleyes:

I'm going to give this amazing gizmo away in a forum competition.

I need to think...

OOHHH last of the big spenders you!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users