• Quick Navigation
Photo

Milk Glorious Milk.......a luxury product?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1770

Not strictly food safety, but it's nice to see the supermarkets squirm!! :rolleyes:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1770

Not strictly food safety, but it's nice to see the supermarkets squirm!! :rolleyes:

I bought a pack of Lurpak butter the other day and could not believe the price - nearly 3 quid. :helpplease: I think dairy products have gone up quite sharply. If it were for the farmers or processors I wouldn't mind so much, but not for the greedy supermacados. :thumbdown:

We get our milk from our local (lady) milkman. I'm gonna check if he...I mean she does butter.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

Dear Simon,

I bought a pack of Lurpak butter the other day and could not believe the price - nearly 3 quid.

Very patriotic :whistle:

At least you can sleep peacefully knowing you are supporting the International Farmers Association :smile:

From the price, I presume this was the 1kg pack ? Or has the cost of salt jumped ? How does this price compare to the polyunsaturated margarines, surely more health friendly ? (Thinking about yr kids)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

Dear Simon,
Very patriotic :whistle:

At least you can sleep peacefully knowing you are supporting the International Farmers Association :smile:

From the price, I presume this was the 1kg pack ? Or has the cost of salt jumped ? How does this price compare to the polyunsaturated margarines, surely more health friendly ? (Thinking about yr kids)

Rgds / Charles.C

UMMMM Lurpak is actually Danish...so not very patriotic!!!!

:off_topic: I took a phone call from a supermarket on Friday , who i shan't name, oh bugger it i will, ASDA, who said they had 12 customer complaints on Welsh Milk.

When i asked for the code, they gave me the health code for a factory in Leicestershire (same company who make Lurpak actually)

When i tried to explain to the little man at the end of the line, he couldnt understand, and kept insisting it had a welsh label (a little dragon on it to indicate its welsh milk...now that patriotism!)

Eventually, after explaining about 10 times, i lost it a bit and told him that it was indeed milk from welsh cows, but it was transported into England to be bottled in Leicestershire (a County of Wales maybe?) before being brought back to Wales to con the customers into thinking they were supporting Welsh Industry!! Needless to say, I've heard nothing further!! :thumbdown:

However ASDA re not the only culprits, M&S Welsh milk is packed at Severnside, as is Tesco's Welsh milk, and both of these companies are "keen" to support the reduction of Carbon Footprints.

Coop, however, has all of its Welsh Milk packed in Wales, so you have to take your hat off to them for at least being honest and being a (genuine) fair trader.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

Dear Cazx,

Nice soundbite.
Do I take it that you are now the spokeswoman for Welsh cow milk complaints ? I agree that the last known address is surely the prime answerer for the complaint although the fundamental problem could perhaps still slide back to you - eg labelling in Welsh only (also real patriotism ?). Do the other UK components also have their own milk flags ( Scotland would surely be the largest :smile: ) ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

UMMMM Lurpak is actually Danish...so not very patriotic!!!!

:off_topic: I took a phone call from a supermarket on Friday , who i shan't name, oh bugger it i will, ASDA, who said they had 12 customer complaints on Welsh Milk.

When i asked for the code, they gave me the health code for a factory in Leicestershire (same company who make Lurpak actually)

When i tried to explain to the little man at the end of the line, he couldnt understand, and kept insisting it had a welsh label (a little dragon on it to indicate its welsh milk...now that patriotism!)

Eventually, after explaining about 10 times, i lost it a bit and told him that it was indeed milk from welsh cows, but it was transported into England to be bottled in Leicestershire (a County of Wales maybe?) before being brought back to Wales to con the customers into thinking they were supporting Welsh Industry!! Needless to say, I've heard nothing further!! :thumbdown:

However ASDA re not the only culprits, M&S Welsh milk is packed at Severnside, as is Tesco's Welsh milk, and both of these companies are "keen" to support the reduction of Carbon Footprints.

Coop, however, has all of its Welsh Milk packed in Wales, so you have to take your hat off to them for at least being honest and being a (genuine) fair trader.

Why are the retailers keen to get on the 'supporting Welsh industry' bandwagon. Wales is a wealthy British country, not exactly third world is it? Or have I put my foot in a cow pat?

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

Why are the retailers keen to get on the 'supporting Welsh industry' bandwagon. Wales is a wealthy British country, not exactly third world is it? Or have I put my foot in a cow pat?

Simon

Its not so much supporting Welsh Industry that their interested in....the new buzz word is "Carbon Footprint"

Watch this space, i think the next 12 to 18 months we are going to see radical changes.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users