Jamie Ward

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:58 PM

Hello people

I am at present carrying out QA checks on our product, and we are calling this "a quality wall".

Unfotuanately I havn`t a clue as to what the real definition of a "quality wall" is at all and I dont believe we are quality walling them so I need some help if thats ok.

Is there any references to this quality technique that I can look up or can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of it.

The way I understand it is that, the process is followed all the way through the flow and walls are built as we illiminate various operations from the cause of the problem.
What we seem to be doing at the moment is a quality check after the build!

Any help would be fantastic

thanks

Jamie

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

Hi Jamie,

I've never heard of the term 'Quality Wall' before, but I think I understand the metaphor. If you build a high enough wall hopefully no bad product will be able to get over it???

Remember you can't inspect quality into a product after it has been manufactured, all you can do is decide whether to accept, reject or rework it. And unless you do 100% inspection then bad product will still get ‘over the wall' and be shipped to the customer.

After all why waste resources carrying out manufacturing activity D, E and F if it all went pear-shaped at B?

Quality control should be inherent at each process step and ideally within each employee. Early detection of ‘in-process' problems and quick and effective corrective action is the key to minimising bad product and its associated cost.

Taking time out to look at fault trends and working on prioritised projects to eliminate the cause of problems is better still.

If you encourage employees to hang their brains on coat-pegs be prepared to build very high walls.

Jamie can you provide a few more specifics on your inspection system:

1. Where in the process is inspection carried out?
2. What types of inspection are carried out?
3. Who does it?
4. What are you finding?

Let us know and we can discuss some more.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:31 AM

Quality control should be inherent at each process step and ideally within each employee.  Early detection of ‘in-process' problems and quick and effective corrective action is the key to minimising bad product and its associated cost. 

:clap:

BTW, never heard of quality walls.

I'll ask to a buddy of mine, he's into music, played a song with Pink Floyd some years ago. :lol:

Coming up to your question, it reminds me kinda accept or reject hypothesis. Is it ? Jamie, is it a product audit or a process audit ? Do you have a sampling plan ? Attributes, variables ? Rgds. Franco

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

is it a product audit or a process audit

I agree with Franco as your question appears to be a "Product Quality Check" rather than towards an "In-Process Quality Assurance Program" which is what Simon is essentially talking about.

Quality Wall...humm! I like the term. I once heard from a guy who used the term "Fire Wall" for an Integrated Pest Management Program. Interesting.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:09 PM

Dear All,

I've never heard of this term but I think in this case "Quality Wall" means "Quality Control" and in this case gives me a sort of negative feel about it e.g. "Have to climb over the quality wall" or "If you get that wrong again you'll all be lined up in front of the quality wall and....".

When I read the link I thought that quality wall could be an area of wall in a production unit where people put and organise their ideas for quality improvement. Alot more positive.

Jamie - as I'm typing this I can't see where your from? Could it be unique to your country or even your factory!

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users