Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:20 PM

I think we need to have a separate discussion on safety of food that are consumed raw....
Sushi, Sashimi, capaccios and so on.

Your wish is my command Bobby.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Bobby

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates
  • Interests:To Enjoy Making, Eating and Studying FOOD

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Dear Simon,

My apologies for discontinuing the discussion.I got caught up with some work and was not following the discussion forum.

Whats being done in the retail sector to ensure safety of fish, Oysters etc that are served to the consumer without any processing?

Bobby

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Dear Simon,

My apologies for discontinuing the discussion. I got caught up with some work and was not following the discussion forum.

Whats being done in the retail sector to ensure safety of fish, Oysters etc that are served to the consumer without any processing?

Bobby

Hi Bobby, it's no problem. As I was saying to Kara, we all have a job to do. I was away myself all of last week.

Is anybody interested in discussing this issue?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:38 AM

Dear Bobby,

This is a very wide subject.

The available answers clearly depend on the specific items and their known associated vulnerabilities. Opinions may also depend on where you are located.

For example with respect to oysters, here is an extract from one link -

The IQF process is designed to reduce the number of Vibrio vulnificus bacteria. If the processor
complies with the Texas Molluscan Shellfish Rules, Section 241.64, the package may be labeled
“processed to reduce Vibrio vulnificus to non-detectable levels”. IQF processing does not eliminate
other potential pathogens. Therefore, food establishments that sell the IQF oysters for raw consumption
must inform consumers about the risks associated with eating raw or undercooked shellfish. The required
language and acceptable means of notice for the consumer advisory are detailed in Section 229.164®
of the TFER

http://www.dshs.stat...ozenOysters.pdf.

(dated ca.2000 so possibly not most recent info.)

(Not quite sure what assurance this is offering with respect to "other potential pathogens")

On the other hand here is another extract which might well put you off indefinitely -

Serving Oysters in Restaurants
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: If I serve raw oysters in my restaurant, what sign must be displayed?

A: All Florida food service institutions serving raw oysters are required by the Florida Department of Health to display "on menus, table placecards or elsewhere in plain view of all patrons" the following notice:

Consumer Information
There is risk associated with consuming raw oysters. If you have chronic illness of the liver, stomach or blood, or have immune disorders, you are at greater risk of serious illness from raw oysters, and should eat oysters fully cooked. If unsure of your risk, consult a physician.

Q: Why do I need to put up this sign?

A: Because Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria which occurs naturally in coastal waters throughout the world,may be found in raw or undercooked oysters. People who have certain health conditions and eat raw oysters can be at risk of serious illness or death and should not consume raw oysters. But everyone can enjoy cooked oysters because Vibrio vulnificus is killed when cooked.

Q: What about cooked oysters?

A: Fully cooking oysters completely kills Vibrio vulnificus, so everyone can enjoy cooked oysters.

Q: What is Vibrio vulnificus?

A: Vibrio vulnificus is a bacterium that occurs naturally in marine waters.

Q: Who is at risk from eating raw oysters?

A: At-risk conditions include:

-- Liver disease, either from an excessive alcohol intake (2 to 3 drinks daily), viral hepatitis or other causes. (Liver disease will put you at increased risk for Vibrio vulnificus infection from raw oysters. The risk of infection is 200 times greater for individuals with liver disease than those without liver disease.)

-- Iron disorder hemochromatosis

-- Diabetes

-- Cancer

-- Stomach problems, including previous stomach surgery and low stomach acid (for example, from antacid use)

-- Immune disorders, including HIV infection long-term steroid use, e.g., asthma and arthritis If you are an older adult, you may be at greater risk of having these conditions than a younger person.

If you are or think you may be in any of these risk categories, you should not eat raw oysters. If you are unsure of your risk check with your doctor.

Q: Can I avoid this problem by buying oysters harvested from clean waters?

A: The presence of the bacteria is not a result of pollution or poor product handling. Eating oysters from "clean" waters or in reputable restaurants with high product turnover does not provide protection.

http://www.fl-seafoo...ing_oysters.htm

A logical HACCP-type question to the waiter might be as to the current "failure" rate, assuming you have a gambling disposition. Might even get you a discount. :smile:

Fish items should be of a much lower risk in general, I was a bit nervous to investigate further. Personally I take the easy way out and simply refrain from consumption of raw seafoods.

Next we have raw vegetables. Statistically, these are maybe of higher overall risk judging from recent US outbreaks (much larger potential target populations) ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users