Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

The ISO 9000 standards are developed by ISO, are then adopted by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and by BSI, before being published as the BS EN ISO 9000 series of standards. What are the main elements of the development process, and how can individuals participate in the process?

How are Standards developed?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Christopher Paris

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

This is an interesting subject. In the US we have the US Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to TC 176. Membership is open. Sort of.

While membership is open, LEADERSHIP is not. Chairman Jack West will be stepping down after his maximum three terms, and his replacement was handpicked by a secret nominating committee that was handpicked by West himself. A "vote" of the candidate will be held shortly but it's entirely pointless since no one else is running, and the nominating committee will reject any other names anyway. At the latest TAG meeting, I was angrily shouted down by West for asking why the members hadn't been polled on the new leadership.

As many of you have suspected, the standards authoring process is filled with cronyism, politics and bureacratic hooey. In the US, it seems the key developers are more interested in publishing books -- using their TAG membership as a credential -- than affecting change that meets end users needs. There is also a disgusting level of national chauvinism at work, which is particularly aimed at the British (for reasons which are beyond me.) I know we represent US interests, but that doesn't mean we can't refrain from disrespecting other countries.

I raised the idea of a moratorium on profiteering by TAG members and was met with blank stares, as if I had just landed from Venus. Defending West in particular one fellow TAG member said to me, "but he has to fund his activities on the TAG somehow!" (All work on the TAG, including travel to meetings worldwide, is done at the member's own expense.) I told him I was funding my activities without publishing, why couldn't everyone else?

Alka Jarvis stands to make hundreds of thousands of dollars -- if not millions -- on lucrative publishing deals once she takes the Chair position. It will be worth watching to see with whom she co-authors her books.

In another strange rule -- if one can call it that -- US TAG members are routinely told that they are there to represent the end users, and their own opinions are not to be exercised. This is a point regularly repeated by Lorri Hunt of Honeywell, who heads up the TAG's efforts on ISO 9001 in particular. According to Hunt, the US TAG can only act on feedback it received from users through surveys.

Keep in mind that the TAG has rules -- which it routinely breaks -- for ensuring that its membership be representative of user industries, and not heavily populated by one group or another. Presumably the intent is to ensure that users are actually ON the TAG, and therefore have input. Hunt's view is that once you are on the TAG, your voice is silenced and you can only represent the views of the few companies that answered a survey. What's the point of having a roomful of users in the TAG, then? We can get elementary school kids to process survey results.

I got another "you must be from Mars" reaction when I suggested that future revisions of ISO 9001 take a staged approach a la software's Capability Maturity Model and abandon the notion of a binary pass-fail. A few got intrigued by the idea, but it probably won't go anywhere. The TAG is dead set on introducing Baldridge criteria into the standard somehow, which will just further alienate small mom-and-pop shops.

Frustrating stuff, and it's just the tip of the iceberg here.

You may say you knew this already. But I'm a creature of experience, and wanted to see this stuff first hand, in order to know for sure. And the evidence is mounting (to me) that ISO 9001 is a train wreck, and the engineers are happily running it off the rails.

Too bad. I think ISO 9001 is good for jobs -- other than consulting jobs, that is -- and good jobs and good wages are critical to any society and culture.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hello Christopher,

I know nothing of the shenanigans that go on inside such places so I cannot comment. All the same thanks for the fascinating insider story; if they let you into another meeting I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it.

There is also a disgusting level of national chauvinism at work, which is particularly aimed at the British (for reasons which are beyond me.) I know we represent US interests, but that doesn't mean we can't refrain from disrespecting other countries.

For interest can you give an example or two - how was this displayed?

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Christopher Paris

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

Hello Christopher,

I know nothing of the shenanigans that go on inside such places so I cannot comment. All the same thanks for the fascinating insider story; if they let you into another meeting I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it.
For interest can you give an example or two - how was this displayed?

Regards,
Simon

On that subject, I would love to hear the comments of someone from a UK standards drafting body. Any takers?

Regarding the comments, I'll give a few examples.

One TAG member said, "The US shows up at international meetings to draft standards. The Europeans show up to play politics." This was an indefensible remark, especially given the overwhelming evidence of politics at work within the US standards drafting body.

The leadership of the TAG often lumps "the Brits" and "Geneva" into its criticisms of the two leading ISO standards countries, UK and Switzerland. I've noticed that when arguments are to be made that ISO and the international standards development process are lumbering, slow-moving and ineffective monsters, sometimes theleadership will lay the blame at the feet of "the British" (as was done at this last meeting) and sometimes blaming "Geneva" or "the Swiss." It's so outlandish an accusation that it's cartoonish, but no one stands up and says, hey, these are our international partners; let's respect them.

You never hear anything about, say, the Spanish, or South Americans, or French (which, given the popularity of France-bashing in the US, is surprising.) And developing countries are almost always referred to with a condescending, paternal attitude that relegates them to "quaint" little countries. (Although during one keynote address, West made the faux pas of saying such countries were holding back progress on 9001/14000 alignment because "they aren't as mature as we are" or something to that effect. Ouch.)

Presumably much of the criticism of the UK is aimed at BSI. Some negative comments were tossed around (out of session) about the UK's (read: BSI's) development of OHSAS 18000, which (as I understand it) was done because ISO couldn't get its act together on occupational safety and health. There were comments that seemed to indicate this was an arrogant move on the part of BSI; suffice to say that when the US develops a domestic standard outside of the auspices of ISO, it's not arrogant, it's "in response to user needs."

The British are also often the foil of US improvement efforts, allegedly. Some ideas floated at various meetings in the past few years -- at meetings I attended, and from reports and speeches made about meetings where I didn't attend, but still have info on -- were shot down because "it will never pass the British." I'm not up on UK politics, but in the US it is common for good ideas to never make it into law because of expected failure in the Congress. This kind of thing is being used in the TAG, too. Whether it's true, or whether the UK is being used as a scapegoat, is uncertain. My view is that if we have a good idea, and the US members agree on it, we use our position on TC 176 to push for it. We don't limit our progress based on the PERCEIVED opposition of anyone.

In the end, though, I think this is just a way for the leadership to resist dramatic change, and instead keep things simple on themselves. Eventually, a few of the regular TAG guys are the ones who have to write the draft, and introducing radical ideas would mean more work -- at no pay -- for them.

I have some notes from previous meetings and speeches; I'll look them over to see if I have additional examples.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:51 PM

Maybe things would be different if TAG members were paid. Come to think of why can't they be paid and be accountable and perform or be fired. :cm:

Surely there's plenty enough dough in standards.

Regards,
Simon

Christopher Paris

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

Maybe things would be different if TAG members were paid. Come to think of why can't they be paid and be accountable and perform or be fired. :cm:

Surely there's plenty enough dough in standards.

Regards,
Simon

I have similar opinions, but here's how I have proposed it:

-- ANSI (in the US anyway) pays TAG members' expenses. They have the budget.
-- TAG members are prohibited from peforming any for-profit speaking, or publishing, during their membership.
-- Unpaid speaking or industry articles are allowed.
-- Accountability is based on (a) attendance, (b) participation, and © results.
-- Membership roster is public, and qualifications are disclosed.
-- Leadership elections are real -- not phony as they are now.

Violations of the rules or poor performance get you tossed out.

The "accountability" issue is tough. Without ISO providing us real data on ISO 9001 user acceptance (the latest report is yet another sham PR job), we don't know for sure how well the standard is going over, so "results" are difficult to measure.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

The "accountability" issue is tough. Without ISO providing us real data on ISO 9001 user acceptance (the latest report is yet another sham PR job), we don't know for sure how well the standard is going over, so "results" are difficult to measure.
Interesting point; does anybody actually want these Standards? Apart from keeping up with the Joneses how many CEO's would choose to organize their businesses along the lines of a wordy technical document. I know a company who had BS 5750 and then ISO 9001:1994 and they were OK; they didn't begin to improve dramatically until the Head Honcho was forced to write a long term plan (with measurable objectives) by Group. Almost overnight the elusive Top Management Commitment was born; and the policy and aligned measurable objectives were thoroughly deployed throughout every nook and cranny of the business. Easy and without a single mention of ISO or BS. :o BTW have you put your ideas to anyone Christopher?Regards,Simon

Christopher Paris

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

BTW have you put your ideas to anyone Christopher?

Regards,
Simon

Yes, in fact my company is taking a profit hit this year because I have spent so much time on these efforts that I haven't been out selling. (We're still in the black.)

Last year I did a multi-city speaking tour for American Society for Quality chapters in various towns across the US on the subject, raising the above bulleted list - among other things. I petitioned ISO itself - through editor Roger Frost - for two years running to improve the ISO Survey reporting, with no results (obviously.)

I have raised a few of these subjects within the US TAG, of course, with more to come as I get my feet wet (wetter). In March, I did work with a TAG breakout group on the issue of improving the integrity of ISO 9001 which generated a lot of very useful, thought-provoking recommendations. The group included folks from manufacturing, service industries, auditors, registrars and consultants, so was pretty broad-spectrum. The report showed that everyone had some responsibility to fix the mess we are in. The problem is, I am not sure what ever happened with the report once our notes were finished. (I only saw the notes summary.) It was supposed to have been escalated to the IAF, but who knows?

I am scheduled to speak at the International Association of Accredited Registrars (IAAR) at their next meeting in October, if my schedule allows (which given the hurricanes, may not happen -- so I might have to get them next time.)

We've filed two major high-profile complaints through the formal complaints systems: one against BSI for improper marketing, one against RABQSA for alleged violations of ISO 17024. More complaints are pending.

We've published a concise summary of all these efforts, which we call "Advocacy '05", on our website at http://www.oxebridge.com/advocacy.asp. It's a lot of work.

In response I've been threatened with three lawsuits, called a fraud, insulted a lot, virtually blacklisted from the quality magazines and shouted at by Jack West. So things are going relatively well, I think. :beer:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

In response I've been threatened with three lawsuits, called a fraud, insulted a lot, virtually blacklisted from the quality magazines and shouted at by Jack West. So things are going relatively well, I think. :beer:

Change never did come easy.

Thankfully the internet provides a platform for free speech where dissenting voices can still be heard. We welcome it and you sir. :thumbup:

BTW I fixed the link to your site.

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users