• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

Hi
I'm a beer producer. We had an audit which we lost because of "glass".

Auditor said that we should have covers on the lamps in the production area and in the warehouse. We bought the covers in the production area but not in the warehouse beacuse the product is in the cans or in the bottlles so there is not possibility that glass will get to the beer. We suggest to make the document where we will write when the glass will be broken. Do you think is enough? Can you help us what we should do? Maybe somebody has some experience with something like that?

Another problem was with the glass on the bottling line. Very often the glass is on the floor. He said that we should make a dokument in which we will write when and where the bottle was damaged. It happened very often so we would have to hire staff which will do only this?
Does anybode has any experience with this topic?

Thanks
Witek

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

Dear Witek,

Can you tell us, against which standard the audit is conducted?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Witek

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Dear Witek,

Can you tell us, against which standard the audit is conducted?

It was about product safety. That there are some danger that the glass can get to the product?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

Dear Witek,

I think Madam A. D-tor meant which specific standard, eg BRC IFN etc.

Sorry for my non-understanding but I didn't quite understand some of yr post -

Very often the glass is on the floor.

Do you mean broken glass ? If so, is there a reason for the common occurrence ? I hv no experience in glass processing but this seems unusual ? My first priority would be to reduce the frequency if this is possible.?

Regarding lights covers, it depends on the standard maybe but IMEX, covers are expected in all functions of the factory from all entries to all exits. Hv had more arguments concerning workshop lighting which IMO should be treated the same even if detached from main production unit.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Even if the product is sealed and covered in the warehouse, broken glass could be carried on pallets and packaging directly into your customers factory / warehouse / retail outlet - and you don't want that. Glass control is a fact of life in the food and beverage industries. As to your production line if your getting regular glass breakages ou need to know how often and why or you'll never improve the situation.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

I agree. It's amazing how something which can seem safely on the floor can end up in a product.

In all food factories I have worked in, we have had fluorescent light tubes covered with a plastic cover in all areas of the factory - even offices.

I have visited a factory which used glass packaging and every time there was a breakage, the machine would be stopped and the glass cleaned up and accounted for and all product which could be affected thrown away.

Charles C is right. First find out why you're getting the broken bottles. I guess they might be reused bottles? In which case, they will need a good inspection before going to be washed and a thorough inspection before going onto the line.

I think if you are having this level of glass breakage, you need to review your HACCP and your controls of glass. This really could be a danger. Lots of people drink beer directly out of the bottle so imagine if there was glass in there?

I think your topic title is a bit dismissive - it isn't just politics, it's about protecting people.

Witek

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for your aswers.
This is difficult for us to avoid broken glass in bottling line because because we produce beer in returnable bottles so sometimes they are not enough strong. They very often broke during the filling process.

Kind Regards
Witek

EuGeNe

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:00 AM

Hi Witek,

Perhaps having some quality checking on the reused bottles before they are filled with beer could help? Cracks and chippings could be the first steps to breaking during handling.

Regarding warehouse lights covering, if your warehouse is attached or connected to your processing area, it is highly recommended for lights to be covered. If however it is detached or not connected, it is not as vital. The strictness of the auditor and the standard audited will affect this judgement too.

Of course, if budget permits, it is safest to have all lights covered.

Rgds,
Eugene

Edited by EuGeNe, 05 May 2008 - 03:06 AM.

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

Dear Witek,

I think what you mean is Glass Management Policy, not politics, right? IMO, the policy may be different depend on the auditor. A Star Yum! auditor would consider the installation of lamp cover in FG warehouse is a must. But another auditor may consider it as a strongly suggested, and other may just recommend it and other may ignore it. So what kind of auditor that you mean? But how so ever, the glass policy itself is a must, no tolerance about that. Especially for those who work with glass containers.

As for the re-use bottle, I'd prefer to recycle those (glass) bottles instead causing a lot of trouble in my process. It may seems too expensive, but you may consider how many cost that needed to clean the mess (your beer will be a waste). Not mention the major cost if the broken glass visiting one of your products... The inspection of re-use bottle seems too hard for me. Its too difficult to determine which bottle that classified to be a good bottle and no. And it will need 100% inspection not just sampling.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:45 AM

IMO, the policy may be different depend on the auditor. A Star Yum! auditor would consider the installation of lamp cover in FG warehouse is a must. But another auditor may consider it as a strongly suggested, and other may just recommend it and other may ignore it.

IMHO I think its a must, those goods are often taken into other food factories. It's a simple control.

Thanks for your input Arya, and by the way I changed the title, you were right.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

saypipi123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

Perhaps, a glass inpection record is needed, this can be carry out daily by QC (the frequency can be set not too frequent). In case there is any damage of glass, glass breakage shall be reported and report must be documented. All those affected (directly contaminated) products/raw materials shall be segregated. My company is implementing tempered glass instead of glass, this helps to convince auditor. Hope this may help.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

Perhaps, a glass inpection record is needed, this can be carry out daily by QC (the frequency can be set not too frequent). In case there is any damage of glass, glass breakage shall be reported and report must be documented. All those affected (directly contaminated) products/raw materials shall be segregated. My company is implementing tempered glass instead of glass, this helps to convince auditor. Hope this may help.

Tempered glass - it sounds expensive. What are you using it for?

Regards,
Simon

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

In my company.. glass covered by plastic film i think that more cheaper then tempered glassa...

saypipi123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

Tempered glass - it sounds expensive. What are you using it for?

Regards,
Simon

Tempered glass - for the cover of lighting, side glass of machine, windows. tempered glass is a strong way to convince the auditor. i m not sure about the pricing, but i make a guess that it is worthful. needless to worry about glass breakage and any food safety related issue (glass considered as sharp object which bring harmful).

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

Dear Forum,

In my current and previous company, we use plastics (mica) to cover our lamps, so it wont be shattered when broken. I never heard the usage of tempered glass before. All I know the tempered glass only for vehicle and bulidings. Nevertheless, every company has it own way to define the Glass Management Policy. As long as it not shattered into millions pieces when smashed, I think its fine.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

saypipi123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

As long as it not shattered into millions pieces when smashed, I think its fine.

Indeed, thanks for your information. :thumbup:

MrTraceability

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hi,

I think, even if your company is a beer processingfacility, I suggest that you do a complete " Glass Audit" in your facility. You need to know where are located all glass and bristle in your facility.

Also, I thig that it deosn't matter the standard used during and for your audit, lamp everywhere in a processing plant must be cover from the entrance of your building to the shipping door.

Also, Sanitation should leave one Janitor in plave during processing to remove constantly eany glass brise left on a floor during production.

Regards

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hi Witek
Glass, like hair tends to migrate easily so i would suggest you cover all the lamps- including those in the warehouse.If for some reason a lamp which is so many feet above ground falls, it sure will shatter into a hundreds of shards which can be picked by shoes and moved to your processing area or could be missed during cleanup.

you have many broken glasses , i think the main question would be why,why and why? you should examine your process and see if you can not 'mistake proof it' against glass breakage. There must be some improvements you can make to solve this than to hire a person for clean up.

As Mr Traceability suggested , you sure need a complete glass audit , including ceramics if you have some. But i think this so much applies to fixed glass than to processing packaging. fixed glass needs daily auditing and process glass (packaging) needs inspection sampling.

i will check around with some friends who work with glass and get back with more info if any.

Vu

A vu in time , saves nine

HJD1272

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Bring in severity and likelihood in your risk assessment as to the harm that could be done as a result of the glass.

If you can prove in the assessment that it doesn't cause much harm and you are controlling it adequately through

good manufacturing practices

DrDavMas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:32 PM

Hi everyone, 

all the windows in our production site are made of tempered glass.

our consultant is asking to apply a protective film on them, is this necessary when the glass is already tempered?

thank you for your feedbacks!

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 534 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2022 - 02:37 PM

Hi everyone, 

all the windows in our production site are made of tempered glass.

our consultant is asking to apply a protective film on them, is this necessary when the glass is already tempered?

thank you for your feedbacks!

Being tempered just makes it more difficult to break, but it will still shatter.  The film serves the purpose of holding the pieces together when it does break.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users