• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Dear All,

I have a challenge! Next weekI have got an outside catering for a big concert for around twenty thousand people.
This is my first big event which I will be handling as a food safety officer.
We will have a live cooking for Public and a buffet step for VIP Lounge
Live cooking stations will be open and buffet will be inside the tents.Current temperature here is 38- 40 deg C.
Live stations we will have burgers, sandwiches, hotdogs etc
and for buffet salad bar , hot main course and desserts.
The setup will be open from 2 pm till midnight.
I am aware of all the basic things we have to take care. In a big operation like this its difficult to control temp and even though our staff are aware of all hazards and control measure and I am sure they will followshortcuts when they are busy.
Pls do give me some real practical tips i can follow there.
It will be much appreciated if one of u who had handled a big operation like this before could guide me.
Pls.......... give u'r suggestions
Thanking u all in advance

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:37 AM

Dear Anie,

Rock concert ??

Personally not my area of expertise but I had a quick look at some sites (seem mostly UK ) which offer standard tips which might add something to yr (I’m sure) considerable existing experience. As you say, temperature control will certainly be rather demanding.

“4 C’s” seems to be the repeated food hygiene law – cleaning, cooking, chilling, cross-contamination

These 2 sites looked quite practically informative on yr direct query –

http://www.eastbourn...ygiene/outdoors

http://www.gosport.g...-a-large-party/

This one has a wide selection of free dwlable guides on related aspects –

http://www.rochford....n.asp?page=1185

This one is dwlable, official / more heavy duty issue with a section on yr queried area –

http://archive.food....dsafe/cater.htm

Hopefully not too basic for you (ambient temps not quite the same also), I learnt a few things myself anyway :smile: .

Interested to see if any professional caterers here ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

EuGeNe

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hi,

Interesting topic! I am looking for a vendor to cater food for my canteen, and i am wondering which criterias should i focus on when i audit their food preparing area.

Being very similar to your situation, food will not be prepared or processed in my premises.

Anyone has any experience in this?

Rgds,
Eugene

Anie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Thank u charles. sites were useful
If any professional cater who had handled a big event like this can give me some practical tips.Or the challenges they have faced so that I can concentrate on that.

Pls..... give Suggestions.

regards
Anie

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

Dear Anie,

I hope you managed well with your event last month. Sorry for the late suggestions as I was on vacation last month. Outside caterings in U.A.E at temperatures you have mentioned is a concern during the summer and if there are sand storms the scenario will be worse.

As you mentioned it is difficult to handle staff in very busy operation, but the more and more they are trained and coached they will surely improve. The fact is you need to be strict when it comes to Food Safety.

In brief few tips from my experience are:-

1) Ensure they are briefed on the importance of the safe procedures

2) Ensure sufficient equipments and facilities are available

3) Temperature / time control is important and has to be followed

4) Good personal hygiene practices to be strictly adhered.

5) Sufficient staff and materials are to be available.

I shall mention how I manage and handle with large caterings. The first thing I would do is prepare a checklist including the following points well in advance:-

a) You need to brief to all the staff involved in preparation & service with respect to personal hygiene & safe handling practices (well in advance or during the planning or briefing stage). The personal hygiene and staff fitness should be checked a day before and on the day of catering.

b) Food preparation & storage operation to be monitored closely.

c) Check for the equipments which will be used for storing and preparation with regards to the cleanliness, maintenance & temperature settings inclusive of calibration of the gauges.

d) Check on the cleaning & disinfecting chemicals which will be required (sufficient stock)

e) Check for hand wash facility or hand disinfection in the facility and plan accordingly.

f) Discuss with chef regarding the menu plan, layout, the time when the preparation for the catering will begin, check on the storage space availability in your hotel and the temperature readings of the units and foods, the list of staff names, occupational health cards availability etc.

g) Ensure all the pre-processed and processed foods are stored covered, labeled and no cross-contamination in any stage of the process flow (storage , preparation or cooking, cooling, transportation)

h) A plan made regarding the order of the foods which will be loaded like (pastries and cold dishes will be loaded separately or at the end) in case of hot temperatures of the area…..

i) The hot and cold foods are to be held in hot / cold cabinets during the loading and should be well covered. The cabinets should be clean and the gasket or seal should be in good condition so that the temperature is maintained.

j) The temperature controlled vehicle which will be used for transporting (whether it is clean, temperature gauges are working and calibrated) is in good working condition.

k) The vehicles are to be pre-cooled before loading.

l) The truck temperatures before loading should be noted and wherever possible spot check the temperatures of the foods before being loaded from the storage areas. All checks are to be recorded.

m) Non- food items should not be transported with food items

n) Check the temperature of the truck during un-loading and observe the food transportation and loading operation to make sure there is no chance of any contamination or temperature abuse.

o) In the site all the chillers and hot cabinets or any equipment are clean and being pre- cooled or pre-heated before preparation of the food.

p) All the crockery and cutlery should be clean and covered to avoid dust accumulation from the time the set up is done.

q) Ensure each station / counter has a hand wash or disinfection provision.

r) Usually in a buffet set up the food is being displayed half an hour before the event and will be kept closed. Hot foods will be kept in chaffing dishes and the temperature of the foods should be monitored and recorded every hour or two hours once. The person responsible for that area (chef) has to ensure enough the temperature of the foods is in the danger zone only for a max. 4 hours after which it should be discarded or display small portions and re-fill as and when required.

s) All the food temperatures should be recorded as per the counter / station.

t) Observe the staff doing the live stations and ensure good hygiene practices are followed e.g. a person handling money should not handle food with bare hands or if gloves are being used it should be changed frequently.

Hope this will be useful for your future large caterings.

Regards

J

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Maybe a little late for Anie, but a good reference for the future. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience Jean.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

EuGeNe

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:27 AM

Tat is indeed a very long list, many which i believe can be used for other purposes as well.

Thanks!

Regards,
Eugene

Anie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Dear Jean,
Thank u so much.Actually ,coz of the hot condition the event was postponded to Oct/Nov.
U're sugestions will really help me next time.
Thank u once again for giving a detailed explanation
regards
Anie

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users