Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

I am writing a HACCP plan for a refrigerated salad dressing manufacturer. I need some guidance on how to look at the Hazard Analysis. We do use egg powder and mostly dry ingredients. We maintain pH ranges from 3.2 to 4.25. We do use fresh buttermilk and a variety of cheeses. If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:38 AM

Dear LMCxx,

Welcome to the forum :welcome: ,

Here is a link to a previous thread (Nov 2008) with some similarity to yr request –

http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=11469
(the file originally enclosed by the starter seems to hv sadly been removed)

Appears that generic salad haccp plans are hard to find. Maybe somebody has more ides now ??

Rgds / Charles.C

added - one viewpoint of the likely haccp plan style can be got from -

Attached File  haccp_retail_groups.png   87.88KB   73 downloads
(from http://www.hi-tm.com/ )

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

Thank you for your response!

I have looked at the previous post on salad dressings and it was not on the same lines as our production. We have fairly low pH ranges for refrigerated dressings and most of the ingredients are dry. We also make some dressings that are heated and some sauces that are heated between 165-205. I just need some direction or a sample plan as to how to determine the hazards and ccps. I have an idea about the ccp's but am not sure if they are accurate.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

Thank you for your response!

I have looked at the previous post on salad dressings and it was not on the same lines as our production. We have fairly low pH ranges for refrigerated dressings and most of the ingredients are dry. We also make some dressings that are heated and some sauces that are heated between 165-205. I just need some direction or a sample plan as to how to determine the hazards and ccps. I have an idea about the ccp's but am not sure if they are accurate.

What are your ideas on the CCP's? From my experience of the forums here it is always useful if you have something to kick around and into shape.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

What are your ideas on the CCP's? From my experience of the forums here it is always useful if you have something to kick around and into shape.

Regards,
Simon

I am thinking that my refrigerated dressings should have a CCP dealing with pH. ALso, for the heated items should have a CCP dealing with temperature. I just need some basic guidance. We are a very small manufacture, but I do want to make it right.

Snitzel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Well from my small experience in the field and very roughly,
if you acidify your dressings then pH should be a CCP (max should be 4.1 since there are some strains of pathogens that can grow around there).
Also, if you heat treat (pasteurisation/ sterillisation) any ingedients for the salads (or the salads themshelves) then another CCP should be the time/ temperature of the heat treatment.
If you add any "dangerous" preservatives maybe you should consider if their weighting could be another CCP, and finally metal/ foreign body detection

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Well from my small experience in the field and very roughly,
if you acidify your dressings then pH should be a CCP (max should be 4.1 since there are some strains of pathogens that can grow around there).
Also, if you heat treat (pasteurisation/ sterillisation) any ingedients for the salads (or the salads themshelves) then another CCP should be the time/ temperature of the heat treatment.
If you add any "dangerous" preservatives maybe you should consider if their weighting could be another CCP, and finally metal/ foreign body detection

We do use vinegar and ocassionally citric or malic acids. The highest pH is about a 4.3. Can you tell me which pathogens may be growing in this range? As I stated before, we use mostly powders (egg powder, etc.) and use liquid buttermilk with culture purchased from an outside vendor. As for the heated products, the ph's are usually no higher than 3.8. Those items would be more like BBQ sauces and wing sauces. Is there any table or paper that I may look at to get an idea of the pathogens and proper hold times?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

As you are probably aware, there is an enormous range of recipes within the overall category of "salad dressings". The necessary HACCP control measures may vary accordingly.

I enclose an extract detailing the generic hazards of "mayonnaise and dressings" together with the typical control measures required. This is not yet a HACCP plan as such but illustrates the significant factors which would hv to be considered in a "typical" process flow.

Attached File  mayonnaise_hazards.png   490.91KB   122 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

As you are probably aware, there is an enormous range of recipes within the overall category of "salad dressings". The necessary HACCP control measures may vary accordingly.

I enclose an extract detailing the generic hazards of "mayonnaise and dressings" together with the typical control measures required. This is not yet a HACCP plan as such but illustrates the significant factors which would hv to be considered in a "typical" process flow.

Attached File  mayonnaise_hazards.png   490.91KB   122 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Thank you! This is very helpful! We do use dry ingredients that have been pasteruized from the supplier. I am wondering if keeping a pH of less than 4.4 for refrigerated dressings is an adequate ccp? Also if I have COA's from the vendors stating pasteruization or appropriate testing, is this also a control measure?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

We do use vinegar and ocassionally citric or malic acids. The highest pH is about a 4.3. Can you tell me which pathogens may be growing in this range? As I stated before, we use mostly powders (egg powder, etc.) and use liquid buttermilk with culture purchased from an outside vendor. As for the heated products, the ph's are usually no higher than 3.8. Those items would be more like BBQ sauces and wing sauces. Is there any table or paper that I may look at to get an idea of the pathogens and proper hold times?

There is legisaltion for milk pasteurisation 71.7 for 15 seconds. Your product is likely to be more viscous so this would need to be taken into consideration. Depending on your product composition you are going to need to validate your pH controls yourself at 4.3.

There has also been no mention of chemical and physical hazards. I would have thought filtration would be a CCP?

Regards,

Tony :smile:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Regret this topic not my direct area of expertise so I can only offer chunks from the literature.

It does appear that a pH level of 4.5 is at the high end of the normally quoted figures. I presume this number is given for the industrial situation where it is assumed that proper safety challenge/validation tests will also be made associated with the specific process. For example, see this (taken from same source as previous post - mic. orgs. in foods 6) -

Attached File  safety_aspects.png   133.31KB   39 downloads

This technical discussion may also be of interest -

Attached File  safety_egg_yolk_based_mayonnaise.PDF   120.89KB   167 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

There is legisaltion for milk pasteurisation 71.7 for 15 seconds. Your product is likely to be more viscous so this would need to be taken into consideration. Depending on your product composition you are going to need to validate your pH controls yourself at 4.3.

There has also been no mention of chemical and physical hazards. I would have thought filtration would be a CCP?

Regards,

We do not produce the milk here. We purchase it from an outside supplier. As far as the physical hazards, I think I have a good handle on that. It's the hazards dealing with the product itself that has slowed me to a crawl.

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

Regret this topic not my direct area of expertise so I can only offer chunks from the literature.

It does appear that a pH level of 4.5 is at the high end of the normally quoted figures. I presume this number is given for the industrial situation where it is assumed that proper safety challenge/validation tests will also be made associated with the specific process. For example, see this (taken from same source as previous post - mic. orgs. in foods 6) -

Attached File  safety_aspects.png   133.31KB   39 downloads

This technical discussion may also be of interest -

Attached File  safety_egg_yolk_based_mayonnaise.PDF   120.89KB   167 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

The good thing for us is that we use dry eggs and they are tested by the supplier for salmonella. We do not use fresh eggs or whole eggs.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

We do not produce the milk here. We purchase it from an outside supplier. As far as the physical hazards, I think I have a good handle on that. It's the hazards dealing with the product itself that has slowed me to a crawl.

From your previous post:

As for the heated products, the ph's are usually no higher than 3.8. Those items would be more like BBQ sauces and wing sauces. Is there any table or paper that I may look at to get an idea of the pathogens and proper hold times

I am a little confused. Do you heat treat your products as a control?

Regards,

Tony

LMC30340

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

Regards,

The chemical and physical hazards are being addressed at the same time. I am just having more issues with the ccps for biological. We also do not make our own milk here. We purchase from outside vendor.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users