Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

I'm interested in finding out what document structure members use for planning and recording training. The goal is useful, user friendly, simple, but adequate for due diligence.

Thanks,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

Answering my own posts again. :rolleyes:

I found the attached document which gives quite useful guidance on the purpose of training record and how it should be used. I'm not sure about the actually training record section as it does not allow for regular reviews. It helps me though.

Regards,
Simon

Attached File  personal_training_record.pdf   80.98KB   690 downloads

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:52 AM

Sorry Simon - I don't have a good example. The best way I've done this (inexpensively) was by using an Access database that would record a multitude of types of course, training dates, personnel history etc. and then allow multiple reports - by class, or by person or by date.

I commonly see excel databases which attempt to track training but it never seems to quite do it justice.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:27 AM

Dear Simon,

If I understood correctly, I have something like what you have asked to share.

Attached is the same that contains the structure of documents being used by us for planning and recording training activities in our company.

Attached File  Training_Doc_Structure.doc   49KB   615 downloads

Regards:
Zeeshan.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks Cathy and Zeeshan. I think a database is good and probably the best solution for control, but in terms of useability for the factory and also for capturing training activity, reviews, comments and the important trainer and rainee signatures and dates it is not as flexible or valuable if you ever need to provide eveidence of training e.g. after an accident.

Regarding the documents Zeeshan, thanks. Can you send any examles of checklists rather than the top level.

Regards,
Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Dear Zeeshan,

Interesting document. Thks.

I remember extracting the meanings of ATP and FSTL (not faster than light :smile: ) previously but now you hv created another one - What is a HOD please ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mike Carr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hello Simon

Found facilty to track the progress of staff, (in a progress report) and identify users who haven't undertaken training, it just made compliance dead easy from a food safety point of view.
Management Suite

Mike

Food hygiene standards in businesses are improving, and hopefully the confidence in food businesses will continue to grow. Online food safety training and having a Food Hygiene Certificate indicates the efficiency of modern food hygiene practices.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

@ Simon:

Dear Simon, would you please elaborate what type of checklist you are talking about? :dunno: .

Your thinking about usefulness of training records is impressive. Actually most of our focus, in general, is to collect evidences for the audit purpose instead of focusing on improvement in effectiveness of training process and improvement in performance of the trainee. Focus should be on bridging the gaps (Competency standard<--> Actual results of evaluation during and after training)+(lacking in training methods, material and environment).

If this gap is monitored and management through a database, training process could be managed and continually improved more efficiently and effectively. I am not currently working on such a database but I think integral part of such database would be:

1- Information of employees [Names, Area of working (high-risk/low risk), Existing Competency levels, previous evaluaiton results, reporting level etc.]

2- Standard Training Material references [with revision number so that improvement in material is traceable and controllable]

Database should be such that can generate following reports as a minimum:
1- Individual employee competency gaps and progress.
2- Department/Function-wise competency gaps and progress.

Database should also have a link to the number of incidents, accidents and non-conformity that are concerned with the area and personnel so that food safety team get sufficient support while analyzing lacking in systems and processes esp training process.

@ Charles.C

Thanks for compliments and sorry for using unexplained abbreviations.

ATP = Annual Training Plan
FSTL = Food Safety Team Leader
HOD = Head of Department

Regards:
Zeeshan.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:00 AM

Dear Zeeshan,

Ahh, thanks.

Seems to me that Pakistan has created an enviable vocabulary of acronymns. :clap: I haven't met HOD before although it seems too logical not to be used elsewhere. :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

Me, i follow effective simple training record keeping system:

1) At the end of year i make training schedule for the next year with

Subject of training, Area need to be trained (department), month and internal/external training.

2) Follow the above accordingly, arrange a date in the month, issue circular before 15 days.

3) At the day Attendance be taken with attendees signature, presentation/slideshow, and at last feedback. All these prints punched and kept in a folder - as a training record for the year.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

Dear Zeeshan,

Ahh, thanks.

Seems to me that Pakistan has created an enviable vocabulary of acronymns. :clap: I haven't met HOD before although it seems too logical not to be used elsewhere. :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

HOD = Head of Department

Me, i follow effective simple training record keeping system:

1) At the end of year i make training schedule for the next year with

Subject of training, Area need to be trained (department), month and internal/external training.

2) Follow the above accordingly, arrange a date in the month, issue circular before 15 days.

3) At the day Attendance be taken with attendees signature, presentation/slideshow, and at last feedback. All these prints punched and kept in a folder - as a training record for the year.

Thanks Abdul, that's good for group training, but I was thinking more of finding a suitable training planning and recording system where for example a department has 40 machines and then there are say 5 Standard Operating Procedures per machine. How do you plan your training and record it in a simple way that also provides enough detail to be meaningful and provide due diligence.

I have been playing around and will post when I have it finished.

Regards,
Simon

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Abdul, that's good for group training, but I was thinking more of finding a suitable training planning and recording system where for example a department has 40 machines and then there are say 5 Standard Operating Procedures per machine. How do you plan your training and record it in a simple way that also provides enough detail to be meaningful and provide due diligence.

I have been playing around and will post when I have it finished.

Regards,
Simon

Greetings Simon,

Seems to be little difficult, planning will be difficult at the first time once started it will be easier to follow and record,

40 machines and 5 SOP's per machine - it depends on how many operators, supervisors and workers working on, training batch size? i will make a standard form machinery audit/inspection, simple 1 page SOP per machine with steps 1, 2, 3... and may be a 1 page flow diagram for each machine and with a note for other 4 SOP and train them, distribute the copies and record in a simply way by the distribution list.

When you finished please post it i want to see it will be very helpful to everyone.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Greetings Simon,

Seems to be little difficult, planning will be difficult at the first time once started it will be easier to follow and record,

40 machines and 5 SOP's per machine - it depends on how many operators, supervisors and workers working on, training batch size? i will make a standard form machinery audit/inspection, simple 1 page SOP per machine with steps 1, 2, 3... and may be a 1 page flow diagram for each machine and with a note for other 4 SOP and train them, distribute the copies and record in a simply way by the distribution list.

When you finished please post it i want to see it will be very helpful to everyone.

Thanks for ou input Abdul, I will post it when ready. A couple of weeks.

Regards,
Simon

kaz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hi all
Attached is a basic excel spreadsheet I use to track training throughout our company and a copy of the sign off sheet when training has been completed. Training needs are identified depending on job descriptions/departments, results of previous training assesment and company induction requirements
Hope this helps

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

thanks Kaz for the good template

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Kaz, I've nearly finished and will post next week. I bet you can't wait. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Simon

Eya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hi everybody,

Hope the attached file help. :rolleyes:

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hi everybody,

Hope the attached file help. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing Asra, that's some schedule and will take a lot of time and effort to maintain up to date. Well done. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

Dear Simon,

Why don't you use a skill/training matrix?
I am sure that you know what this is, but I have tried to make an example and have attached it.Attached File  Book1.xls   21.5KB   170 downloads

Ofcourse skill/training matrices are hard to maintain and teamleaders or HODs must be disciplinary. Also it is needed to evaluate the workers more often. Especially when a worker just started to join the company.

I have seen these matrices in several variations and I know that it can work if it gets enough attention.

For not production workers it is easier to maintain these matrices. E.g. for Quality manager or office employee.

Edited by Madam A. D-tor, 01 March 2010 - 10:07 AM.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:27 AM

Dear Eya and Madam A. D-tor !

Thanks for sharing your documents.

@ Eya,

How do you select the exact personnel/individuals from the focus group? I mean to say whether their manager or supervisor suggest the names or any senior independent manager analyze the training need for particular persons?

Regards:
Zeeshan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

I'm attaching some documents I've been working on.

This is the top level matrix used for tracking training for each individual.

Attached File  New_training_template.xls   30KB   309 downloads

Here are some example records that also provide for ongoing review.

Attached File  Example_Training_Record_SSOW.doc   35KB   291 downloads

Attached File  Example_Training_Record.doc   34.5KB   252 downloads

Obviously there is a documented procedure that is related to each training element, but I've not attached that.

This is what I've arrived at based on it being comprehensive enough to provide due diligence, being easy to track progress without hopefully it being to difficult to operate. Although that is not easy when dealing with this subject.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
Simon

Thanked by 1 Member:

Eya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Dear Eya and Madam A. D-tor !

Thanks for sharing your documents.

@ Eya,

How do you select the exact personnel/individuals from the focus group? I mean to say whether their manager or supervisor suggest the names or any senior independent manager analyze the training need for particular persons?

Regards:
Zeeshan

Good question, The focus group is determine by the area owner (managers/supervisors) the only thing we are after is no individual should have two or more focus group. For instance if one operator is already in the SAnitation group he should not be included in the Pest control group the objective of this focus group is for operator to be expert in one field by doing this he will be the one empowered to teach other operator verbally. The other training like GMP and HACCP it is common and everybody should know about it.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Sorry Madam A. D-tor I missed your post. Too busy working on mine. Although yours isn't quite right for me I like it better and have taken the completion date idea. Actually ours are quite similar.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Simon

lance

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

Answering my own posts again. Posted Image

I found the attached document which gives quite useful guidance on the purpose of training record and how it should be used. I'm not sure about the actually training record section as it does not allow for regular reviews. It helps me though.

Regards,
Simon

Attached File  personal_training_record.pdf   80.98KB   690 downloads

this is a copy of a training doc that i have used in the past you can change to fit your location

Lance

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Muhammad Afzal

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

Dear Mr. Zeeshan,

Thank, nice example for new employee to give the understadning the documents structure that are implement in the organization.

Dear Simon,

If I understood correctly, I have something like what you have asked to share.

Attached is the same that contains the structure of documents being used by us for planning and recording training activities in our company.

Attached File  Training_Doc_Structure.doc   49KB   615 downloads

Regards:
Zeeshan.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users