Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

In developing a Food Safety Management System to meet the requirements of ISO 22000 or and other Food Safety Standard I guess the second step in the plan after deciding you want to do it and drafting a Food Safety Policy would be to make sure you have the organization structure to implement and maintain an effective Food Safety Management System.

So in a typical organization what would the structure for food safety look like e.g. roles, responsibilities and competency requirements from the top to the bottom the organization

I realise it depends on the size of the organization but is anyone willing to share how you are organized for food safety?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

So, it seems we are talking about 5.4, 5.5, 6.2.1. and 7.3.2.

We do not have manufacturing facilities, so we just distribute ingredients. The food safety team is obviously formed on multidiciplinary basis, incorporating personel from QA, Technical Support, Warehousing and Distribution, Purchasing, Sales, and HR departments. All of the above should have knoledge about HACCP, GMP´s, ISO22000. This applies to any level of the personel involved to the FSMS with exception of HACCP (only for FST).

FSSM

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

So, it seems we are talking about 5.4, 5.5, 6.2.1. and 7.3.2.

We do not have manufacturing facilities, so we just distribute ingredients. The food safety team is obviously formed on multidiciplinary basis, incorporating personel from QA, Technical Support, Warehousing and Distribution, Purchasing, Sales, and HR departments. All of the above should have knoledge about HACCP, GMP´s, ISO22000. This applies to any level of the personel involved to the FSMS with exception of HACCP (only for FST).

FSSM

I'm kind of surprised office fuctions such as Sales and HR are included, but nobody from maintenance / engineering - maybe you do not have any?

So multi-disciplinary and general awareness of HACCP / ISO 22000 and relevant GMP's and control measures related to the role. Then HACCP for the Food Safety Team. What about the Food Safety Team Leader - what should be his/her competence and qualifications?

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi Simon!

Well, let me clarify that sales people are Food Technologist since we have technical sales of ingredients for the Food Industry. HR has QA profile, a little bit strange, but training has been key to be part of food safety team, we also have ISO 9000, so we combine the systems this way. Maintenances is part of Warehousing and Distribution functions.

Food Safety Team Leader needs same competence and qualifications as Food Safety Team, just need more experience in the area of food safety.

Regards,

FSSM

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hi Simon!

Well, let me clarify that sales people are Food Technologist since we have technical sales of ingredients for the Food Industry. HR has QA profile, a little bit strange, but training has been key to be part of food safety team, we also have ISO 9000, so we combine the systems this way. Maintenances is part of Warehousing and Distribution functions.

Food Safety Team Leader needs same competence and qualifications as Food Safety Team, just need more experience in the area of food safety.

Regards,

FSSM

Hi FSSM, Thanks for clarifying, I guess it all depends on the size and make up of the organization, but I am all for sales and other non production / technical / QA people being involved in the FSMS as customers appreciate people who appear to know what they are agreeing to and also it helps sales and marketing to remember to involve QA and consider little things like product safety and quality on new products and projects. And not just $$$££££$$$$.

Multidisciplinary is the key word and I guess we and all others agree on that.

Regards,
Simon

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

can anybody tell me what is the role of QA Manager in FSMS, can she become food safety team leader or only the food safety team member?? how is u Oraganization Structure likes??

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

can anybody tell me what is the role of QA Manager in FSMS, can she become food safety team leader or only the food safety team member?? how is u Oraganization Structure likes??

You can organize hwoever you like Carine, so yes the QA Manager can be the Food Safey Team Leader, provided they have the necessary competencies.

Can anyone share an example organizational structure with Carine?

Regards,
Simon

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

In developing a Food Safety Management System to meet the requirements of ISO 22000 or and other Food Safety Standard I guess the second step in the plan after deciding you want to do it and drafting a Food Safety Policy would be to make sure you have the organization structure to implement and maintain an effective Food Safety Management System.

So in a typical organization what would the structure for food safety look like e.g. roles, responsibilities and competency requirements from the top to the bottom the organization

I realise it depends on the size of the organization but is anyone willing to share how you are organized for food safety?

Regards,
Simon

Very interesting thread!

Yes the QA Manager can be the Food Safety Team Leader as i observed in many cases around the world, he/she knows about the overall system in plant and making assure about the quality of the product,

Check-out on internet about the 'job responsibilities of QA Manager'. Your search may also find 'organizational chart' for food industries.

In some cases QA manager is like a police man in an organisation and if you see Food safety team leader roles and responsibilites almost similar, somewhat he is also doing the same job to make a safe product.

Edited by Abdul Qudoos, 08 July 2009 - 08:14 AM.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

i'm the QA manager based in HQ n we got few plant (same product just different places) in the midst toward iso22000 implementation. So the set up or establish of the system definetly is my reponsibility in that few plant.. Every plant got 1 branch manager which as a food safety team leader in their plant respectively to ensure system implement effectively.. Based on the situation above, what role should i played, what job title should i entitled?? Any comment??

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

carine:

You can represent the management for FSMS and have a branch manager take the role of Food Safety Team Leader or maybe a coworker at HQ.

Regards,

FSSM

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

i'm the QA manager based in HQ n we got few plant (same product just different places) in the midst toward iso22000 implementation. So the set up or establish of the system definetly is my reponsibility in that few plant.. Every plant got 1 branch manager which as a food safety team leader in their plant respectively to ensure system implement effectively.. Based on the situation above, what role should i played, what job title should i entitled?? Any comment??

How about Food Safety Co-ordinator?

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:43 AM

Dear Tony-C:

Besides me, there are got QA executive and senior technician which based in HQ too, they also give support to other plant too, how we can group it in food safety team??

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Dear Tony-C:

Besides me, there are got QA executive and senior technician which based in HQ too, they also give support to other plant too, how we can group it in food safety team??

Suggestions : Food Safety QA Executive/Senior Food Safety Technician

I don't see as titles are important and long as you define the organisation's structure, roles and responsibilities and training/qualifications/experience in relation to food safety.

Regards,

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

Suggestions : Food Safety QA Executive/Senior Food Safety Technician

I don't see as titles are important and long as you define the organisation's structure, roles and responsibilities and training/qualifications/experience in relation to food safety.

Regards,

Tony

100% agreed.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users