Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Kellogg has shutdown production at one of its US food plants after the discovery of listeria there by health inspectors.

The food giant voluntarily halted production of Eggo waffles at its Atlanta facility after officials from the Georgia Department of Agriculture (GDA) found Listeria monocytogenes in a food sample.

Full Story Here

Regards,

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

When I read this I think well done Kellogg, they go up in my estimation. How about you? It's a difficult admission for any company though actively putting their brand name in a headline with Listeria. Nowadays it’s become a marketing advantage to hold your hands up quickly and unequivocally.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

Dear All,

As an opener, I believe it may illustrate a large difference in the perspective on L.mono. between Europe // USA, and possibly others (Australia ??) namely for RTE (egg waffles?????) foods, the typical limits for the species at point of sale are 100/gm and zero respectively for the non-vulnerable population. Not 100% sure about USA so anyone feel free to correct me.
Hence the listeria / hysteria type headlines. Rightly or wrongly presumably depends on the (geographical?) risk analysis as usual. For egg waffles this is ??

As an OT to this bacteria”s discussion in the microbiology forum, one might also consider how it ranks (serious-wise) compared to Salmonella, here I suspect Europe, USA would be on the same page.
As another (smaller) OT, consider the other (meat / L.mono) news item in the very impressive website providing this link on L.mono. This seems to well-support the instant Kellogg reaction. It seems strange that I get the impression that one never/hardly ever sees similar incidents in Europe, true or less-newsworthy ?? And far less privately originated legal actions ??

Sorry for slight thread hi-jacking but IMO there are various inter-related aspects to this starter post.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

The Kellogg site is still closed down 2 weeks after the listeria finding. No additional findings have been made but the cleaning was still moving forward.

I'll admit, I was skeptical at first, thinking that the notice was more image related than concern, but two weeks is a long time to be down for image.

Good for Kellogg!

Full Story Here

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Dear All,
At least in the UK, some further factors hv also been recently highlighted, I have enclosed a few extracts below -

Incidents of listeria in the UK have doubled over the past decade as research reveals elderly people are more likely to expose themselves to the bacteria by eating food beyond its “use by” date.
The UK's Food Standards Agency (FSA) said eating food that has passed its “use by” date increases the risk of exposure to the potentially deadly bacteria listeria. The warning from the food safety watchdog came as it announced the number of cases of listeria had doubled in the past nine years - with much of the rise among those over 60 years old. The FSA said one in three of the people who get food poisoning caused by the bug die as a result.
The FSA has launched a campaign specifically targeted at older people as part of its annual Food Safety Week. Issues such as following storage instructions on food labels, ensuring fridge temperatures are between 0°C and 5°C, as well abiding by “use by” dates are all key themes.

http://www.foodprodu...re-use-by-dates

and
http://www.foodprodu...rulent-listeria

Interesting that the often quoted max 8degC figure seems to hv been temporarily sidelined.
Another parallel issue seems rather ironic in respect to the above, eg -

Industry experts and the UK food safety watchdog have been assessing and clarifying the implications of the government’s much-discussed announcement to overhaul the food labelling date system.
The declaration made on Tuesday by Environment Minister Hiliary Benn to phase out some dating systems on labels to cut down on food waste was slammed by industry bodies and has now been questioned by an industry expert. The British Retail Consortium strongly dismissed the proposal that eliminating “best before” dates would reduce waste, insisting instead that consumer education on the issue was key

http://www.foodprodu...ate-intensifies

And on the larger EC scene – confusion has occurred over the actual standards being used -

The Codex Alimentarius Commission has moved quickly to clarify a newly ratified standard on permitted levels of listeria monocytogenes (Lm) in ready-to-eat (RTE) food after being challenged by the UK’s Chilled Food Association (CFA).
On Monday, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and World Health Organisation (WHO) released a statement summarising the main provisions of some of 30 new safety measures targeting dangerous bacteria and chemicals - including listeria monocytogenes in RTE products
Alternative approach
The joint announcement from the UN bodies triggered alarm in the RTE industry after saying that while a maximum level of listeria has been set for certain foods where the bacteria cannot grow, a zero tolerance approach had been adopted in RTE products where growth of the bacteria was possible.
The announcement failed to mention, however, a third additional measure contained in the detailed Codex document allowing for an “Alternative approach” to zero tolerance to be taken. This stipulation, agreed at a Codex Committee for Food Hygiene (CCFH) meeting in Guatemala last December, gives individual countries the flexibility to extend the maximum level of 100 colony forming units (cfu)/g across the board to include foods where growth of the bacteria can occur.

http://www.foodprodu...ady-to-eat-food

I hv not yet seen any statement as to the specific US standard being applied in the recall cases but it appears that a zero tolerance regulation is being used for all RTE foods. This would seem to hv significant implications for exporting RTE products to the USA, presumably already well-known if true.

Haven’t seen this mentioned in any reports as yet but an additional factor in these global incidents could relate to how production processes containing a bactericidal step are set up, ie prioritised on which species. It is typically easier to kill Salmonella than L.monocytogenes. E.coli 157 I don’t remember, probably somewhere in between.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users