• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi there

I am trying to find some HACCP training srecifically for my HACCP team - we make direct contact plastic food packaging.
My team are not familiar with the terms OPRPs etc.
I need it to be tailored specifically for packaging as none of them are from a food manufacturing background.
Our company is very keen to use the HACCP concept.
Can anyone help?

Rosie

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi Rosie,

I think you read my mind. Funnily enough we have designed a course entitled HACCP for Packaging. It is pretty much unique and brand new. The course is based on BRC/IoP Requirements and Codex alimentarius HACCP principles and is one day instructor led or DIY. As an instructor led training course it can be tailored to include the companies own HACCP system , products and processes.

It has been trialled already at one food packaging manufacturer in the UK and the response was fantastic.

The agenda is as follows:

- Course introduction
- Food Safety & Food Hygiene
- Introduction to HACCP - History & Drivers, Principles, Team Approach
- Legal Requirements
- HACCP at [insert company name]
- Principle 1 – Process Flow Diagram
- Identify Hazards & Scores, Identify Control Measures
- Principle 2 – Determine Critical Control Points
- Principle 3 – Critical Limits, Target Levels and Tolerances
- Principle 4 – Monitoring Procedures
- Principle 5 – Determine Corrective Actions
- Prerequisite Controls
- Principle 6 – Verification of HACCP
- Principle 7 – Documentation, Verification of HACCP System

- Review & test of Understanding
- Questions & Answers

The course is going to be released and promoted in the next couple of weeks. I will contact you directly with more details if you are interested.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Simon

Please forward details directly.

Rosie

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Simon

Please forward details directly.

Rosie

Will do Rosie. If anyone else is interested in this training please drop me a line.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

TPJACOB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hi,

First - thanks for making the sample Hygiene program available - I used it for our company (food contact packaging manufacturer) and was able to satisfy most of the BRC Issue 5 AuditI . We got a major for lack of Team training so I am looking for am looking for training of our HACCP Team. The auditor pointed me towards ISO 9001 training for internal auditor. I liked your FS000 The fundamentals of Food Packaging Hygiene and your FS0005 Food Packaging Hygiene - Raising the Standard but am insure if this would satisfy the Team training requirements

Is your program available?

Thanks
Theresa

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

First - thanks for making the sample Hygiene program available - I used it for our company (food contact packaging manufacturer) and was able to satisfy most of the BRC Issue 5 AuditI . We got a major for lack of Team training so I am looking for am looking for training of our HACCP Team. The auditor pointed me towards ISO 9001 training for internal auditor. I liked your FS000 The fundamentals of Food Packaging Hygiene and your FS0005 Food Packaging Hygiene - Raising the Standard but am insure if this would satisfy the Team training requirements

Is your program available?

FS000 The fundamentals of Food Packaging Hygiene and FS0005 Food Packaging Hygiene - Raising the Standard are designed for training all employees to a basic level. The requirement in BRC/IOP for the HACCP team to be suitably competent would not be satisfied by those training materials, nor by any ISO 9001 internal auditor training (where did the auditor get that one from?).

The HACCP for packaging course has been delayed, but we are keen to launch it in the New Year. It will be available on disc and will include the contents below. I will keep you posted.

- Course introduction
- Legal Requirements
- Prerequisite Controls

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

Your dilemma is something that has frustrated me for some time.

If you are looking for a course on HACCP in the packaging industry you need to be very careful that you don't just end up on a HACCP course for food with a little bit of packaging thrown in.

One thing that the BRC/IoP Standard has got right (in my opinion anyway) is that it only uses the word "HACCP" once, and that is in relation to the training of BRC/IoP auditors. Throughout the Standard it uses the phrase "Hazard Analysis". I like to think that this is deliberate, but I may of course be giving the BRC more credit than they deserve!

The distinction is important. Food HACCP concentrates on potential hazards from microbiological, physical and chemical sources. Packaging in most cases is not consumed. Its purpose is to protect, inform and to enable the use of the contained product. Consequently the functional attributes are where additional hazards may occur.

I have looked at the contents of several courses over the past few years and most start off talking about packaging and then slide into food hazards like cooking and chilling.

The analytical tools of HACCP - the likelihood and severity, validation, verification etc are perfectly valid techniques for packaging, but the starting points are different. I have not yet seen any Packaging HACCP course which talks about the risks of mixed printed materials which is probably one of the biggest and potentiallly fatal hazards.

Sorry I can't point you towards any good courses but get as much information about the course content before you shell out.

As an aside, I am a bit confused by the comments by Theresa about her BRC audit. There is no version 5 for packaging, only version 3, but there is a version 5 for food. I have in the past,albeit some time ago, seen packaging companies audited against the BRC Food Standard. Hopefully this was just a typo and it was a genuine BRC/IoP Certification audit.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Your dilemma is something that has frustrated me for some time.

If you are looking for a course on HACCP in the packaging industry you need to be very careful that you don't just end up on a HACCP course for food with a little bit of packaging thrown in.

One thing that the BRC/IoP Standard has got right (in my opinion anyway) is that it only uses the word "HACCP" once, and that is in relation to the training of BRC/IoP auditors. Throughout the Standard it uses the phrase "Hazard Analysis". I like to think that this is deliberate, but I may of course be giving the BRC more credit than they deserve!

The distinction is important. Food HACCP concentrates on potential hazards from microbiological, physical and chemical sources. Packaging in most cases is not consumed. Its purpose is to protect, inform and to enable the use of the contained product. Consequently the functional attributes are where additional hazards may occur.

I have looked at the contents of several courses over the past few years and most start off talking about packaging and then slide into food hazards like cooking and chilling.

The analytical tools of HACCP - the likelihood and severity, validation, verification etc are perfectly valid techniques for packaging, but the starting points are different. I have not yet seen any Packaging HACCP course which talks about the risks of mixed printed materials which is probably one of the biggest and potentiallly fatal hazards.

Sorry I can't point you towards any good courses but get as much information about the course content before you shell out.

As an aside, I am a bit confused by the comments by Theresa about her BRC audit. There is no version 5 for packaging, only version 3, but there is a version 5 for food. I have in the past,albeit some time ago, seen packaging companies audited against the BRC Food Standard. Hopefully this was just a typo and it was a genuine BRC/IoP Certification audit.

I was a packaging quality manager before the brc/iop standard was developed. At that time customer audits were prevalent and very confusing and contradictory and as you say training was very much food oriented. That’s what I developed the training materials for packaging companies which we still sell all over the world. They are still pretty much world unique. The HACCP for packaging course will be 100% relevant to packaging companies. I know nothing else. :smile:

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Sounds good.
I'll check it out in the New year. what is the ball park cost?

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

Hi Rosie,

I think you read my mind. Funnily enough we have designed a course entitled HACCP for Packaging. It is pretty much unique and brand new. The course is based on BRC/IoP Requirements and Codex alimentarius HACCP principles and is one day instructor led or DIY. As an instructor led training course it can be tailored to include the companies own HACCP system , products and processes.

It has been trialled already at one food packaging manufacturer in the UK and the response was fantastic.

- Course introduction
- Legal Requirements
- Prerequisite Controls

- Questions & Answers

The course is going to be released and promoted in the next couple of weeks. I will contact you directly with more details if you are interested.

Regards,
Simon

Simon -I would be interested in more info(and a price) on your 'haccp for packaging' course materials
Thanks
Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for your interest, please bear with me for a couple more weeks and I will provide further details.

In the meantime if anyone else wants to regsiter their interest please do so.

Regards,
Simon

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for your interest, please bear with me for a couple more weeks and I will provide further details.

In the meantime if anyone else wants to regsiter their interest please do so.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon- did you get anywhere with this?

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi Simon- did you get anywhere with this?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike, :whistle:

I have been working on this with a colleague; we just need to find a few days when we are both free to get it completed. It's unlikely to be this side of Christmas, but I would expect it will be ready before the end of January.

Cheers,
Simon

Sylvester

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

I'm interested and would be obliged if you keep me informed.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

Will do Sylvester...the pressure is on. :helpplease:

No seriously it will be available early in her New Year.

Regards,
Simon

CJL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hi Rosie,

- Course introduction
- Legal Requirements
- Prerequisite Controls

- Questions & Answers

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

Is this HACCP Packaging Training Course material available yet? If so how can I get it in the USA?
Regards,

CJL

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi Simon,

Is this HACCP Packaging Training Course material available yet? If so how can I get it in the USA?
Regards,

CJL

We have finally scheduled the work to complete this product; it will launched at the beginning of April. When launched you will here about it via our e-newsletters (if subscribed) and right here on the forums.

Regards,
Simon

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Simon

Any news on this?

Mike

Jeff Cawley

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Afghanistan
    Afghanistan

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

Food Safety Audits for Food Container Manufacturers- Recorded Webinar

We hosted a webinar last week that focused on HACCP and audits for packaging manufacturers. The description and link to the recording follows:

Major food retailers require food processors to certify their food safety management systems under Global Food Safety Initiative recognized audits. This increasingly has led food processors to extend food safety audit demands to their vendors and require their packaging suppliers to demonstrate viable audited HACCP programs.

How can packaging vendors comply? On March 29, Allen Sayler, VP of Food Safety, Technology & Regulatory Solutions at H. Randolph Associates, Inc., discussed GFSI audit schemas and SQF in particular as they pertain to plastic and paperboard food container manufacturing. The presentation topics include:
HACCP - Applicability to the Food Packaging Industry
• GFSI – Concept for the Future
• SQF
o The Whys for the Food Packaging Industry
o Technical Implementation Details for the Food Packaging Industry
• Food Safety - Due Diligence for the Food Packaging Industry

The slides and the recorded presentation are available at: http://www.nwasoft.c...ACKwebinar1.htm .

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

Simon

Any news on this?

Mike

Yes Mike, but it’s a bit of a change of plan. Instead we will be launching an open course with initial dates to be announced shortly. It will cover much the same content and there will be a delegate’s pack with training materials, example HACCP manuals and procedures, documents etc. The thinking is the DIY version will follow. As for use by consultants we will need to think some more about this.

Regards,
Simon

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Yes Mike, but it’s a bit of a change of plan. Instead we will be launching an open course with initial dates to be announced shortly. It will cover much the same content and there will be a delegate’s pack with training materials, example HACCP manuals and procedures, documents etc. The thinking is the DIY version will follow. As for use by consultants we will need to think some more about this.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon
Thanks- that's a shame- I'm delivering a food safety management course in early May and i was after some interesting packaging haccpy resources/activities to throw in -guess i'll just have to stop being so lazy and develop them myself!!!!!
Mike

Colpak Quality

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Will do Rosie. If anyone else is interested in this training please drop me a line.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon

Is this training information still available?

Regards

Arinda

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi Arinda, We did not make progress on the HACCP Packaging course, however we do have various food safety / GMP training materials for packaging - see here >>

Let me know if you need further information.

Regards,
Simon

AlisterW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Not been any posts on this topic for a while so wondering if anyone is aware of a company currently supplying HACCP training in the UK specifically for food packaging companies.

Any help appreciated as we are responding to an audit from our largest customer!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Not been any posts on this topic for a while so wondering if anyone is aware of a company currently supplying HACCP training in the UK specifically for food packaging companies.

Any help appreciated as we are responding to an audit from our largest customer!

Hi Alister, not training materials, but I know a consultant who carries out on site HACCP training aimed at the HACCP team.  It covers the background/history of HACCP and Codex but importantly leads through conducting a HACCP study, he also includes your own process flow, hazards and controls related to your site.  Is this the sort of thing you are after?

Regards,

Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users