rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hi all,

Newbie here - QA novice from a small stockfeed mill in Australia.

Firstly I'd like to thank you all for freely sharing, this is a great 'real world' resource.

Our company is looking to move towards ISO 22000 (possible potential for export markets) and I'm wondering if anyone would like to give me some feedback on my Key Processes Map, (I still need to put document numbers against the docs) but would anyone care to say this layout would satisfy 7.3.5.1 requirements for flowcharting process flow and interactivity? I imagine there will be links referencing to other processes - supporting (PRP's) and management type processes - but this was the layout I arrived at after a bit of messing about.

Thoughts?

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to thank you all for freely sharing, this is a great 'real world' resource.

Our company is looking to move towards ISO 22000 (possible potential for export markets) and I'm wondering if anyone would like to give me some feedback on my Key Processes Map, (I still need to put document numbers against the docs) but would anyone care to say this layout would satisfy 7.3.5.1 requirements for flowcharting process flow and interactivity? I imagine there will be links referencing to other processes - supporting (PRP's) and management type processes - but this was the layout I arrived at after a bit of messing about.

Thoughts?

Hi There

Posted Image

As an overall flow diagram this is a good start. You are right for PRP's you are missing:

Infrastructure - construction and lay out of buildings and utilities
Work Environment - lay out of premises, including workspace and employee facilities
Supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities - in maintenance?
Supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal - in maintenance?
The suitability of equipment and its accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventative maintenance - in process design?
Measures for the prevention of cross contamination
Personnel hygiene

With regards to 7.3.5.1 I usually do a process flow for each product. The process flow should show:

Sequence and interaction of all steps
Outsourced processes and subcontracted work
Where raw materials, ingredients and intermediate products enter the flow
Where reworking and recycling take place
Where end products, intermediate products, by-products and waste are released or removed

Although I can see that you are trying to fit everything in, it does not clearly show the sequence and a number of the items listed above. Some arrows/numbers may help.

Regards,

Tony

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hi all,

Thoughts?

Perfect flow chart for ISO 9001 (I am assuming you are already certified).

Unfortunately the flow diagrams for ISO 22000 7.3.5 are not the same. You need to focus on process steps related to food safety and HACCP and how each step could impact food safety. Basically your maufacturing process steps that you have highlighted but beefed up a bit.

Start at receiving and follow through each step. Ask yourself at each point what the ingredients and product must go through. Don't forget to include packaging.

We start in receiving and depending on the ingredients we have several branches including bulk receiving dry, bulk receiving liquid, non-bulk ingredients, refrigerated ingredients. Each of them have their own food safety elements and risks and need to be viewed differently. Bulk receiving requires magnets and screens, refrigerators must be monitored for temperature, etc.

You are looking to break things down to a point where you can identify a potetial risk and then identify what you do to reduce or eliminate it (PRP/CCP).

If you have not had HACCP training than you should take a course.

rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi There

Posted Image

As an overall flow diagram this is a good start. You are right for PRP's you are missing:

Infrastructure - construction and lay out of buildings and utilities
Work Environment - lay out of premises, including workspace and employee facilities
Supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities - in maintenance?
Supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal - in maintenance?
The suitability of equipment and its accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventative maintenance - in process design?
Measures for the prevention of cross contamination
Personnel hygiene

With regards to 7.3.5.1 I usually do a process flow for each product. The process flow should show:

Sequence and interaction of all steps
Outsourced processes and subcontracted work
Where raw materials, ingredients and intermediate products enter the flow
Where reworking and recycling take place
Where end products, intermediate products, by-products and waste are released or removed

Although I can see that you are trying to fit everything in, it does not clearly show the sequence and a number of the items listed above. Some arrows/numbers may help.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate you taking the time!

rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Perfect flow chart for ISO 9001 (I am assuming you are already certified).

Unfortunately the flow diagrams for ISO 22000 7.3.5 are not the same. You need to focus on process steps related to food safety and HACCP and how each step could impact food safety. Basically your maufacturing process steps that you have highlighted but beefed up a bit.

Start at receiving and follow through each step. Ask yourself at each point what the ingredients and product must go through. Don't forget to include packaging.

We start in receiving and depending on the ingredients we have several branches including bulk receiving dry, bulk receiving liquid, non-bulk ingredients, refrigerated ingredients. Each of them have their own food safety elements and risks and need to be viewed differently. Bulk receiving requires magnets and screens, refrigerators must be monitored for temperature, etc.

You are looking to break things down to a point where you can identify a potetial risk and then identify what you do to reduce or eliminate it (PRP/CCP).

If you have not had HACCP training than you should take a course.

Thanks for the feedback! The standard says the flowcharts shall provide a basis for evaluating food hazards, so I was planning to put the detail in the hazard assessment. Not 9001 certified by the way, but nice to know the flow chart would be suitable! :-)

rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

Revised Key Processes Flowchart

Tony, I have numbered the processes, given sub-processes a different colour and added a legend. Also included packaging & waste references.

The standard allows me to diagram by process category and I think this will fit that - I will diagram management, and other supporting (PRP type) processes separately.

Do you think this would be getting closer?

rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Tony, I have numbered the processes, given sub-processes a different colour and added a legend. Also included packaging & waste references.

The standard allows me to diagram by process category and I think this will fit that - I will diagram management, and other supporting (PRP type) processes separately.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:34 AM

Dear rgbargy,

I guess these comments depend somewhat on what you were planning to do next so i apologise if redundant.

I am not a user of ISO 22000 but I hv to agree with tsmith that some re-focussing toward "food safety" may be required to facilitate the later hazard analysis. And similarly to Tony, the subsequent ISO 22000 text will perhaps be easier to implement if the chart steps are readily viewed with respect to anticipated PRPs. Sort of thinking backwards.

I appreciate that you are trying to present a globalised view (more like ISO 9001 perhaps) but a relatively linearised manufacturing activity flowchart (per product if substantially different in the FS sense) will surely be necessary since for ISO 22000 that is where most of the PRPs / hazard analysis will probably be concentrated.

For example this would require 3,4,5,6 (and subs),7, essentially none of the yellows.
I didn't understand some of the bypassses, eg 4.1 - do you mean some goes straight and some not (i wud hv expected a straight line)??

It is definitely not mandatory but many people tend to present the chart in terms of material inputs at the left into relevant manufacturing stages presented as a linear flow (some steps such as waste material handling obviously off-shoots and linearity not always possible depending on the process). As I said above, it depends a bit on what you were going to do next. :smile:

One thing for sure is that the ease of handling many HACCP parts of the standard will relate to the usability of the flowchart.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Hi there

This is an improvement but the flow chart is for the purpose of identifying and then conducting a hazard analysis. This means it is still too complex. You really need to remove records and non manufacturing elements e.g. Sales & Marketing are not relevant

Regards,

Tony

rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Dear rgbargy,

I guess these comments depend somewhat on what you were planning to do next so i apologise if redundant.

I am not a user of ISO 22000 but I hv to agree with tsmith that some re-focussing toward "food safety" may be required to facilitate the later hazard analysis. And similarly to Tony, the subsequent ISO 22000 text will perhaps be easier to implement if the chart steps are readily viewed with respect to anticipated PRPs. Sort of thinking backwards.

I appreciate that you are trying to present a globalised view (more like ISO 9001 perhaps) but a relatively linearised manufacturing activity flowchart (per product if substantially different in the FS sense) will surely be necessary since for ISO 22000 that is where most of the PRPs / hazard analysis will probably be concentrated.

For example this would require 3,4,5,6 (and subs),7, essentially none of the yellows.
I didn't understand some of the bypassses, eg 4.1 - do you mean some goes straight and some not (i wud hv expected a straight line)??

It is definitely not mandatory but many people tend to present the chart in terms of material inputs at the left into relevant manufacturing stages presented as a linear flow (some steps such as waste material handling obviously off-shoots and linearity not always possible depending on the process). As I said above, it depends a bit on what you were going to do next. :smile:

One thing for sure is that the ease of handling many HACCP parts of the standard will relate to the usability of the flowchart.

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks for the feedback, it's funny how things can be clear in ones own mind and a complete mess to everyone else! The yellows are the docs/records that relate to the flow of product through the operation. I'm thinking they will form the basis of our oPRP's as they have some specific controls on them. As I understand it PRP's by definition are not specific to any process but are 'basic conditions and activities that are necessary to maintain a hygenic environment throughout the food chain... etc' These are the process steps our HACCP plan is based on and I'm satisfied with the processes I've included.

With v3 I have tried to tidy up the lines and arrows to make the flow clearer to others - the question is - have I succeeded?

Thank you all for your input.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

rgbargy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hi there

This is an improvement but the flow chart is for the purpose of identifying and then conducting a hazard analysis. This means it is still too complex. You really need to remove records and non manufacturing elements e.g. Sales & Marketing are not relevant

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, the standard states that 'Flow diagrams shall, as appropriate, include the following:
a) the sequence and interaction of all steps in the operation'

They are not solely for the purpose of identifying hazards but are 'a basis for evaluating' them.

For the sake of clarity I might rename the 'Sales & Marketing' process 'Product Design' - in our business there are food safety hazards associated with getting a formulation wrong.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback, it's funny how things can be clear in ones own mind and a complete mess to everyone else! The yellows are the docs/records that relate to the flow of product through the operation. I'm thinking they will form the basis of our oPRP's as they have some specific controls on them. As I understand it PRP's by definition are not specific to any process but are 'basic conditions and activities that are necessary to maintain a hygenic environment throughout the food chain... etc' These are the process steps our HACCP plan is based on and I'm satisfied with the processes I've included.

With v3 I have tried to tidy up the lines and arrows to make the flow clearer to others - the question is - have I succeeded?

Thank you all for your input.

Section 7 of ISO 22000 is essentially HACCP principles and 7.3.5.1 is the 4th step to the preliminary steps, construct a flow diagram. The flow diagram should represent the physical steps taken by ingredients and products from receving to shipping.

Try these links for some examples. http://www.google.co...gAAAKoEBU_QYl55

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Did you conclude this to your satisfaction Rgbargy? Maybe you could post the finished flow digagram.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users