• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are there any legislative requirements for product specifications?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Olena

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi everybody;
My name is Olena, I'm Canadian. I'm gathering information of different matters related to food quality system. In this relation, would anybody kindly tell me is there any regulations related to specifications of raw materials, finished product, packing materials, etc. I'm trying to get info of CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) but they're not always that clear and precise.
Thanks in advance

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Dear Olena,

The basic answer to yr question is Yes / Everywhere

Unfortunately the scope of yr question is almost infinite. :smile:

You may get a more useful response if you narrow yr requirement slightly, eg product = ?, location = ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hi everybody;
My name is Olena, I'm Canadian. I'm gathering information of different matters related to food quality system. In this relation, would anybody kindly tell me is there any regulations related to specifications of raw materials, finished product, packing materials, etc. I'm trying to get info of CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) but they're not always that clear and precise.
Thanks in advance

you can try to find out at CODEX website..CODEX have general spesification for raw material..

hope can help you

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hi everybody;
Thanks in advance

Hi Olena

:welcome:

Canadian Regulations appear to be on the Department of Justice Website http://www.justice.g.../eng/index.html so try searching there.

Regards,

Tony

Olena

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hi Charles;
Thank you for your kind reply.
I'll try to use all the resources.
Regards

Dear Olena,

The basic answer to yr question is Yes / Everywhere

Unfortunately the scope of yr question is almost infinite. :smile:

You may get a more useful response if you narrow yr requirement slightly, eg product = ?, location = ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Olena

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hi everybody;
I'm not quite sure how to reply to all guys:rolleyes: I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their replies!
Best regards

Hi Olena

:welcome:

Canadian Regulations appear to be on the Department of Justice Website http://www.justice.g.../eng/index.html so try searching there.

Regards,

Tony

Mac

Associate - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi Olena,

I'm retired from CFIA and your question is quite broad for food products.

One of the best places to start is using the Guide to Food Labelling and Advertising found in CFIA's website which has some indication of what can be added to foods and it also references finished food standards. For example in the Processed Products Regulations there are food standards for quality and what additives that are permitted. There are other divisions in CFIA that again have more specific stanards such as Meat, Dairy, Eggs, etc all found in CFIA's website.

In Health Canada's Food and Drug regulations "Part B Foods" http://laws-lois.jus...C.R.C.,_c._870/ you will find more standards. It is not an easy task understanding all of these regulations.

Also try contacting an inspector with CFIA they can clarify some items.

One more thing to remember is there may be additional requirements from the province that you are producing food.

Good luck.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Olena

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thank you very much for your precise answer! I've been working on food safety topics for more than a year including government bodies contacting. Now, I work as a food safety consultant for some Toronto companies. Many thanks to those who helped me to throw light on some food safety matters. Best regards Olena

Hi Olena,

I'm retired from CFIA and your question is quite broad for food products.

One of the best places to start is using the Guide to Food Labelling and Advertising found in CFIA's website which has some indication of what can be added to foods and it also references finished food standards. For example in the Processed Products Regulations there are food standards for quality and what additives that are permitted. There are other divisions in CFIA that again have more specific stanards such as Meat, Dairy, Eggs, etc all found in CFIA's website.

In Health Canada's Food and Drug regulations "Part B Foods" http://laws-lois.jus...R.C.%2C_c._870/ you will find more standards. It is not an easy task understanding all of these regulations.

Also try contacting an inspector with CFIA they can clarify some items.

One more thing to remember is there may be additional requirements from the province that you are producing food.

Good luck.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users