sudarshan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:read standards...understand it....implement it...

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Dear All,

I am microbiologist & i know how food safety is important in our life. But i have question. When we always eat safe foods.....are we more susceptible for diseases? because may be our immune system not develop.

Best Regards
Sudarshan Koli
koli.sudarshan@gmail.com

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

Dear Sudarshan,

Your angle of thinking is an opposite way!.

Eating healthy & safe food is natural way to boost your immune system!.

Eating Safe food means you can fight infections stronger and your immunity system is good. You can recover faster from infections. I have also read if you want to heal your wound faster you have to eat nutritionally rich safe food.

Lets wait for other people views.

Regards,
anish

Dear All,

I am microbiologist & i know how food safety is important in our life. But i have question. When we always eat safe foods.....are we more susceptible for diseases? because may be our immune system not develop.

Edited by Anish, 10 February 2011 - 12:29 PM.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Dear All,

Interesting question- if you consider the principles of vaccination- ie exposure to the pathogen or its toxin (in some way shape or form) to initiate an immune response -then the answer must be yes

I was talking with a guy a few weeks ago about this very topic- his standpoint was that in very young babies- if they are not exposed to pathogens(too clean!)-or are given broad spectrum antibiotics in the first months of life then an inbalance is created in the lymphocytes- the TH1's do not develop as well because they have nothing to do resulting in a poor immune system later in life but this also-allows the TH2's to develop out of proportion- TH2's apparently then 'look for something to do'-they would normally deal with parasites-he believed- that 'the something' might be attacking various potential allergens by releasing histamine-this is what he was stating was the cause of the rapid increase in allergies(and asthma) over the last
few years!!
Haven't had time to look for any research on this(yet)-but maybe someone here can shed some light?

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

Interesting topic, the old wives tale is that we are too sterile today, which inhibits our body from developng the ability to fight bugs. I agree with this completely unscientific hunch. Hopefully I can be convinced one or the other by some facts. Another old wives tale on the same theme.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

sudarshan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:read standards...understand it....implement it...

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

Dear Sudarshan,

Your angle of thinking is an opposite way!.

Eating healthy & safe food is natural way to boost your immune system!.

Eating Safe food means you can fight infections stronger and your immunity system is good. You can recover faster from infections. I have also read if you want to heal your wound faster you have to eat nutritionally rich safe food.

Lets wait for other people views.

Regards,
anish

Hi

i agree eat nutritionally rich safe food which is strength of our body........but you know some microorganisms now come out one by one & our immune system fails to fight with them. may be i am thinking or talking baseless today. i read one news in which in Ganga river lot of people bath there but they were not infected but one foreigner just once he bath there. he immediately infected.

Best Regards
Sudarshan Koli
koli.sudarshan@gmail.com

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

I truely support sudarshan in his point of view. Below are few reason why still we must produce safe food.

1. Each person have different tolerance level to different pathogens. So the threshold level for each pathogen is hard to determine. so food industry must try to keep pathogen level at minimum level

2. If you compare immunity of two person from different country. you will see huge difference in that

I guess to maintain immunity level one should take a tap water on regular basis. that will help you to maintain your level ( not greatly but a bit) Obviously even your statement is correct it does not mean that each person should start taking pathogens intentionally. But yes that is the fact and i do not know what will be the end...........

raffay

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

this is what i think that we should take clean and safe food as nature has designed the thing considering to maintain the balance. our body continously exposed to different pathogen or microorganism by different source in air , food , water and our communication wtih other and this exposure play major role to develop our immunity against some specific and some antigenically smilar pathogens. people of different regions have different standards of living hence having different immunity, it does not mean that we start to take pathogen intentionaly. what kind of food we intake effect not only our body but our mind and way of thinking too. we should always cosider food safe ( food having acceptable range of microorganisms ). but our consideration should be on average level , i mean it does not mean we always look for sterile food.

regard
raffay

I truely support sudarshan in his point of view. Below are few reason why still we must produce safe food.

1. Each person have different tolerance level to different pathogens. So the threshold level for each pathogen is hard to determine. so food industry must try to keep pathogen level at minimum level

2. If you compare immunity of two person from different country. you will see huge difference in that

I guess to maintain immunity level one should take a tap water on regular basis. that will help you to maintain your level ( not greatly but a bit) Obviously even your statement is correct it does not mean that each person should start taking pathogens intentionally. But yes that is the fact and i do not know what will be the end...........

Jason H.Z.C.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China
  • Interests:Basketball, PC Game, My lovely daughter, My Wife,

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

In my opinion, in theority first of all 0 tolerance for Microbees present in food is impossible. Thus food have inevitable carrying Microbees.
On the other hand, the safe food means the food go through sterilization measures and deemed to be suitable for human consumption. Each pathogen/parasite/virus has its own "trigger loading numbers" to cause the food poisoning.

Hence in conclusion food after sterilization process could be consumed by people.

By the way, all food mentioned hereare food immediately consumed after sterilization % cooling. Shelflife of food is ignored here.

Best regards,

Jason :whistle:

private contact box

Kind Regards,

Jason

stsqf

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Interesting question- if you consider the principles of vaccination- ie exposure to the pathogen or its toxin (in some way shape or form) to initiate an immune response -then the answer must be yes

I was talking with a guy a few weeks ago about this very topic- his standpoint was that in very young babies- if they are not exposed to pathogens(too clean!)-or are given broad spectrum antibiotics in the first months of life then an inbalance is created in the lymphocytes- the TH1's do not develop as well because they have nothing to do resulting in a poor immune system later in life but this also-allows the TH2's to develop out of proportion- TH2's apparently then 'look for something to do'-they would normally deal with parasites-he believed- that 'the something' might be attacking various potential allergens by releasing histamine-this is what he was stating was the cause of the rapid increase in allergies(and asthma) over the last
few years!!
Haven't had time to look for any research on this(yet)-but maybe someone here can shed some light?

Mike

Very interesting concept! WIth all the anti-bacterial cleaners, soaps, sanitizers, etc. that are used in homes nowadays, I would be interested to hear more about research on this. I just did a quick search to see what articles were out there on this topic and it appears there is a TON of research on this sort of concept. Not exactly easy reading though however as I do not have a microbiology background.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users