• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 37 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hello All --

My organisation is opening a new operations facility. The building was existing and we are retrofitting it to a food processing plant. One of the challenges we face is that we will share a truck court on one side of the site with another warehouse. This poses an issue for our food defense program - how do we control access to our grounds and facility? We are proposing partially fencing the site and using a combination of video survelliance and controlled access to the building (biometric scanners). Will this satisfy regulatory and 3rd party auditors? Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Jennifer

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

BUMP for Jennifer.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Attached File  ISO 28000 Security Management system.pdf   261.4KB   84 downloads I recently attended a seminar on ISO 28000 Security management System by Mr Peter Boyce from LRQA and found it to be very interesting. He is the guru of this area. His contact details are: peter.boyce@lrqa.com and he is based in Hong Kong and often travels to globally and also to US.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

Jennifer,
It's my opinion that what you propose would be adequate. When Food Defense first became a hot topic, security consulting firms were recommending virtual prisons as the answer. In the real world, however, your most likely cause of intentional adulteration will be from disgruntled current or former employees who somehow still have access to your facility.
You can spend millions of dollars on external security and not actually make your facility more secure.
Reasonable fencing, external lighting and security cameras, if they are actually monitored in real time and locked doors are more than sufficient.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

I think that what ever you have right now will be enough for the auditors.

We also have similar problem as you. Initial part of both warehouse and production facility have a common ground where trucks can travel. Rest of the part is covered with gates and fence. We have secured access and camera. Till date we have not faced any problem with audits.

Dave

Edited by DAVE84, 25 March 2011 - 12:14 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jenky

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 37 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users