• Quick Navigation
Photo

Why is customer satisfaction not addressed in ISO 22000?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

I’m just wondering why customer satisfaction is not addressed in ISO 22000.

Thoughts?

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

ISO already has 9001 to cover quality so they wrote 22000 just for food safety. The two can be integrated into a single Food Safety and Quality Management System and are very similar.

I cannot speak for their exact reasoning but I would guess they did not want to be repetative with 22000 and they felt that food safety was important enough to stand on its own.

Thanked by 1 Member:

saguym

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel
  • Interests:Fountain Pens, Music, Traveling

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

ISO already has 9001 to cover quality so they wrote 22000 just for food safety. The two can be integrated into a single Food Safety and Quality Management System and are very similar.

I cannot speak for their exact reasoning but I would guess they did not want to be repetative with 22000 and they felt that food safety was important enough to stand on its own.

Customer satisfaction is a quality issue and not a safety issue. Threfore it is a part of ISO 9001 and not a part of ISO 22000.

saguym

Thanked by 1 Member:

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Thoughts?

Customer satisfaction is a quality issue and not a safety issue. Threfore it is a part of ISO 9001 and not a part of ISO 22000.

saguym

I partially agree with saguym. Customer satisfaction is a combination of quality and safety issues. Customer satisfaction is a composite of many factors. For food product, food safety is the most critical factor among them. A good quality food product MUST BE SAFE along with appealing taste, convenient packaging, reasonable serving quantity, convenient availability etc. etc. IMO, since all the factors other than food safety not come under the scope of a food safety management system, you can not define the complete requirements of customer satisfaction. That's why any management standard specific to food safety (such as ISO 22000) does not address customer satisfaction.
In other words:
ISO 9001 is a generic management system standard. Hence it addresses the customer satisfaction explicitly.
ISO 22000 is a specific management system standard - specific to food safety only. Since food safety is only one parameter of customer satisfaction (although the major one) therefore it is not explicitly address the customer satisfaction requirements.

Hope it helps.

Regards:
M. Zeeshan

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

This is what I don't like about ISO standards. It tries to be all things to all people; hence the ISO9000 series being used in many industries but because it wasn't seen as specific enough for food (and had some idiosyncrasies that didn't work well in food) they produced ISO22000 but then felt they couldn't repeat themselves. Meaning to have a complete quality system in a food site, you should have ISO9000 series and ISO22000 (or I would argue a different standard altogether). I once got asked in an interview to become an auditor for ISO standards if ISO9000 required a HACCP plan. I said no and explained how ISO22000 would bridge that gap. The auditor said I was wrong because HACCP is a legal requirement! Well so are anti money laundering measures but as far as I'm concerned, the scope of the audit is defined by the standard you're auditing against!

As a result of this attitude I fear many auditors auditing against ISO22000 will expect things like this to be in place (unfairly IMO).

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Dear All,

Ahh! Customer Satisfaction -

One of the biggest misconceptions about customer satisfaction is that it’s tied to the products and services that you’re selling. The truth is that if your offerings aren’t superlative, in today’s harsh competitive climate, you’ll be out of business within a week.

In B2B sales situations, customer satisfaction comes from how you, the sales professional, interact with the customer. To this end, there twelve fundamental and inviolable laws that come into play every time you interact with a customer:

* Rule #1: Your customer wants to feel important.
* Rule #2: Your customer craves being appreciated.
* Rule #3: Your customer is NOT interested in you.
* Rule #4: Your customer wants two things: success and happiness.
* Rule #5: Your customer wants you to truly listen.
* Rule #6: Your customer will NOT connect unless he feels valued.
* Rule #7: Your customer buys emotionally but defends logically.
* Rule #8: Your customer’s average attention span is very short.
* Rule #9: Your customer wants to be understood.
* Rule #10: Your customer is drawn to those who show true interest.
* Rule #11: Your customer wants to teach you something.
* Rule #12: Your customer wants your help in some aspect of life.

If you’re not behaving in a way that’s congruent with these laws, your customer will not be happy with you, or your firm. Contrariwise, if these laws are driving every aspect of the customer relationship, you’ll have a customer who will praise you to the skies, give you referrals and buy from you as long as you have something valuable to offer.

http://www.bnet.com/...atisfaction/462

PS I wonder if Customer Satisfaction is supposed to include the purchasing/usage of the Standard itself. ? :doh:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

One of the biggest misconceptions about customer satisfaction is that it’s tied to the products and services that you’re selling.

I definitely agree. There are some customers who are never satisfied, no matter how good your products and services are.

Dux

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

Why must customer satisfaction addressed in ISO 22000?

ISO22000 is focus on food safety.

A bread with complete safety, forget adding sugar and over-burned, meeting requirement of ISO22000.

but none like it.

So food safety is a "must", food quality is "flexible". So unnessecary to discuss customer satisfaction in ISO22000

Thanked by 1 Member:

Modarres

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Iran
    Iran

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thoughts?

ISO 22000 addressed Customer Satisfaction in its Scope:
This International Standard specifies requirements to enable an organization:
c) to evaluate and assess customer requirements and demonstrate conformity with those mutually agreed
customer requirements that relate to food safety, in order to enhance customer satisfaction,

:rolleyes:

Best Regards,
Modarres

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

The standard specifies the requirements for a food safety management system that combines recognized key elements to ensure food safety along the food chain. Food safety is only a part of customer satisfaction.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

MichaelCert

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

The glib answer is that ISO 22000:2005 is about food safety. The standard specifies requirements for an FSMS so that an organization can ensure food is safe at the time it is eaten.

Food is either safe or it isn't. Food might be safe, but not taste very nice. It can also taste wonderful and kill you. It’s difficult to measure customer satisfaction about food safety when most people make a determination about how satisfied they are about food on subjective factors such as taste, aroma or appearance. Besides, the average consumer is not likely to have the means to make such a determination about food safety, but is quite happy to make a determination about taste, aroma or appearance and trust those making and supplying food to ensure that food is safe. This is why standards, systems, and competencies in the food chain are vital.

Note that other standards such as ISO 14001:2004 (environmental), OHSAS 18001:2007 (occupational health & safety) and ISO/IEC 27000:2005 (information system security) don’t directly address customer satisfaction either.

Michael

Thoughts?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

Dear MichaelCert,

Besides, the average consumer is not likely to have the means to make such a determination about food safety,

Food is either safe or it isn't.

Don't think I entirely agree about the above!

(1) Diarrhoea is a very immediate self-appraisal parameter IMEX. Admittedly, the precise origin may be elusive but some "usual suspects" often tend to be handily around. (perhaps unfairly if the procedure was faulty, just bad luck in such cases). Prevention is better than "repetition" ?

(2) Bit of an overwhelming generalisation IMO :smile: . For example - "to whom"?

Rgds / Charles.C

BTW - welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

IMO, delivering products that meet defined food safety objectives is a primary goal of ISO 22000. However, customer expectation, satisfaction and requirements specific to food safety are all sub-sets of ISO 22000 that are implied.

As a customer, when I purchase a product, it should be safe for consumption and this is not only an expectation but a requirement. I would be fully satisfied when after consumption, I do not in any way feel my perosnal health is compromised. Then, we would have achieved the objectives of the standard / system.

IMO, customer satisfaction specific to food safety is indeed every much part of ISO 22000 and should be part of the system verification matrix.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simao Monteiro

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

ISO 9001 is about customer satisfaction.
ISO 22000 is about the safety of the consumer at the time of consumption. And, most of the times, the client is not the consumer.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Does anyone know if FSSC 22000 mentions anything on customer satisfaction?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

Does anyone know if FSSC 22000 mentions anything on customer satisfaction?

FSSC 22000 is a combination of ISO 22000 and a prerequisite requirement standard/specification.
FSSC 22000 includes prerequisite requirements in relation to 7.2.3 of BS EN ISO 22000:2005, for example for manufacturers PAS 220/TS ISO 22002 are applicable and include:
construction and layout of buildings and associated utilities
layout of premises, including workspace and employee facilities
supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities
supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal
suitability of equipment and its accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventive maintenance;
management of purchased materials
measures for the prevention of cross contamination
cleaning and sanitizing
pest control
personnel hygiene
rework
product recall procedures
warehousing
product information and consumer awareness
food defence, biovigilance and bioterrorism

but not Customer Satisfaction.

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 23 September 2011 - 03:52 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users