Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has any expertise in using a live brine to cure bacon? I am receiving high micro counts from a product that we subcontract out the curing off. I am being told that the micro levels are high simply because it's a live brine and that there's nothing wrong with the bacon.

Common sense tells me that there must be a limit to how high a count we should be getting on fresh bacon but I have no idea what it should be. Maybe the company is right and they will never be able to achieve our in-house specification with a live brine or maybe they are making it up as they go along - I really have NO idea.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks
Naomi

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

Can anyone assist Naomi?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Dr.Des

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

I assume when you say 'high micro counts' that you mean a general total viable count and not high counts of pathogenic organisms or organisms indicative of faecal contamination.
The total viable count doesnt give any indication of the safety of the product, it's just an approximate number of living bacteria per gram.
It is correct that many brines will contain starter cultures which are harmless salt tolerant bacteria. This will subsequently mean that the cured meat will have high numbers of these bacteria as well.
Unless your product is ready to eat, a high count of these bacteria is not really a problem.

Do you have a maximum limit set for the micro counts? do you know how or why this limit was set?

I think it might be more important to monitor quality of the brine (salt content, pH, etc) and the presence of indicator bacteria or pathogens such as Listeria than worry over total viable counts.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users