• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to eliminate aflatoxin in spice products?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Indy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

Dear All

I have problem in our site.
lately our factory received some of Spices raw material with high contents of aflatoxin, It's impossible to reject all of those raw materials meanwhile we have to process all of them to reach our shipment schedule.
1. How to eliminate the aflatoxin contents in spices? (at least to reduce them)

We tried to mix them with the same material with lower aflatoxin contents, but we have alot of WIP because of still much of high aflatoxin in our product.

2. Is it possible to eliminate chemical hazard of aflatoxin contents from Hazard Analysis Table also from HACCP plan?

Because some of our buyers ignore the aflatoxin contents in the product.

I need the advises...

Regards
Indy

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

Dear Indy -

1) Aflatoxin is one of, if not the most, potent carcinogens known - using contaminated raw materials endangers your customers and possibly your employees (depending on your process)
2) There is no economically viable way to decontaminate food - it can sometimes be destroyed with ammonia, but that also destroys the product quality
3) I do not know the human food safety rules where you are, but in the US, it is not allowed to take adulterated product and make it 'safe' by diluting it with more product. It sounds like you are just expanding the amount of contaminated WIP at this point in time...
4) If your HACCP team has determined that aflatoxin presents a food safety hazard, you cannot decide to ignore that just because it interfers with your business plan - your buyers must be trained and held accountable.
5) It would seem that the right course of action is to stop, redirect the products to animal feed (if allowed), clean your facility, and obtain clean raw materials

Keith

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

in Europe it is not allowed to dilute toxins !!! And I think this is a general rule worldwide.
I don't know a method for destruction of afla in such matrix.
Elimination at the origin (handling) and selection before collection is the only way to control aflas.

Moskito

Dear All

lately our factory received some of Spices raw material with high contents of aflatoxin, It's impossible to reject all of those raw materials meanwhile we have to process all of them to reach our shipment schedule.

We tried to mix them with the same material with lower aflatoxin contents, but we have alot of WIP because of still much of high aflatoxin in our product.

2. Is it possible to eliminate chemical hazard of aflatoxin contents from Hazard Analysis Table also from HACCP plan?

I need the advises...

Regards
Indy

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Dear All

lately our factory received some of Spices raw material with high contents of aflatoxin, It's impossible to reject all of those raw materials
I need the advises...

Regards
Indy

Hi Indy,

Seems like your company is playing Russian Roulette.

Why is it impossible to reject? Do you not have an agreed specifications?

Link to EU info here http://www.efsa.euro.../aflatoxins.htm

Regards

Tony

cindersfella

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

What is the standing times for opened Coconut cream/butter before it is thrown away .Pls

cindersfella

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

HACCP is a self regulated program which is worked out to present the best product to the market , taking into consideration all the hazard s involved within each product, you can ignore your own analysis of the issues , but! the final issue is ! will you be held accountable if the product you sell causes severe illness or death, and you ignored that analysis.

Dear All

I need the advises...

Regards
Indy

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users