• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:14 AM

Hi

Thanks for the info. Good to see our country features on the list. The problem that I have with our legislation is that it does not specify pathogens. So what happens is the allowed 100 CFU happens to be Listeria?

#53 MsMars

MsMars

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 449 posts
  • 142 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

Hi

Thanks for the info. Good to see our country features on the list. The problem that I have with our legislation is that it does not specify pathogens. So what happens is the allowed 100 CFU happens to be Listeria?

It's a good consideration.  However, I think these guidelines are generally for validation of cleaning. If you are RTE and have a Listeria concern, you should also be doing in-process testing and/or finished product testing, which would tell you whether or not you actually have a Listeria problem. 

Edit: I should add that if you are RTE or similar, you should also be doing environmental monitoring for pathogens such as Listeria.

Edited by MsMars, 27 November 2018 - 08:47 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#54 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 15,691 posts
  • 4316 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

Hi

Hi Cobus,

Just for accuracy, I suspect 100cfu(/gm?) is unlikely to refer to Listeria. Possibly L.monocytogenes.

And, similar to MsMars comments, the "100cfu" probably refers to a product, not a surface ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

#55 Mattej

Mattej

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for this great reference Charles!

#56 rubert

rubert

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

Dear All,

I previously posted a table of various micro. guidelines for food contact surfaces which were mostly issued pre-2000 at this link –

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__22352

To update the earlier info., the attached excel file presents guideline data I have accumulated for 12 countries issued in the period 2000 – 2012. The compilation demonstrates that for a range of food-related scenarios, some “average” opinions for various (just) cleaned surfaces are –

(a) For Aerobic Plate Count (APC) - the majority of data suggests that, for routine cleaning/sanitising, surfaces typically have maximum APC counts in the range 10-100cfu/cm2 .
(b) For factors like Coliform, (generic) E.coli, Enterobacteriaceae, S.aureus, the expected maxima are, predictably, low, eg 1-10 cfu/cm2, or undetected. The latter requirement also invariably applies for “zero-tolerance” pathogenic microbial species.

Hopefully of some interest. Further input / comments welcome as usual.

attachicon.gif Compilation of International Micro. Guidelines for food contact surfaces, 2000 onwards.xls

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate