Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

I have a question for you regarding how food manufacturers batch product.  We are going to a digital traceability system in the new year and our consultant is helping us streamline our processes to make the transition as seamless as possible. 

We work on one work order at a time for product that may take anywhere from one to three days to complete (8 hour shifts with machinery hold-overs for cleaning).  Currently, each one of the days represents one batch and can be recalled separately.  Our consultant wondered why we bothered to do that given that we make custom product (proprietary flavors for one customer) and if one day was recalled, chances are all of them would be.  His suggestion was to assign batch number and expiry based on the very first day of production.  I felt he had a point because while our production of rolled product may take one day to produce, it may take several days to handle and the way we batch doesn't capture that kind of info either.

Other than a basic definition of batch: : “A batch process is one in which a finite quantity of product is made during the period of a few hours or days.  The batch process most often consists of introducing measured amounts of starting materials into a vessel followed by a series of unit operations taking place at discrete scheduled interval.  This is then followed by the removal and storage of the products, by-products and waste streams.  The equipment is then cleaned and made ready for the next process.”

…I haven’t been able to find any more definitive information or any specific regulation.  We have not changed anything yet, nor will we without the proper research, but I’m having trouble finding what I need!  Can you help?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hi Isabelle,

I have to disagree with your consultant here.

You could put on the same batch number and expiry but identify the days differently with Day 1 A on the end, Day 2 B on the end etc...

I personally would regard a batch as the product made between each cleaning shift, put on date & expiry accordingly.

It may be that if you have a recall where the whole batch mix is wrong and you need to recall 3 days of product, but..., there are reasons why I believe that your consultant is wrong:

Let's take a scenario where there is problem with the cleaning at the end of Day 1 - you will want to recall Day 2 product but because you can't distinguish between Day 1 and Day 2 production you have to recall both.

Take a scenario where there is a serious glass breakage on Day 3, you will want to recall Day 3 product but because you can't distinguish between Day 1, Day 2 or Day 3's production you have to recall all three.

I am sure that there plenty more situations where you would not need to recall all 3 days of production if you are able to identify them separately. I don't understand the logic of your consultant given with his recommendation your are risking at least 3 times the value of stock. 

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

isabelle campbell

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback!

We work with seasonings in a very shelf stable product.  We've validated cleaning hold-overs thru 3 days maximum (bi-annually).  So Tony, you are suggesting (financial risk to amount of recall aside) that I could have one batch even though it was produced over 3 days before a cleaning shift?

We are BRC certified for over 5 years now.  My take is that as long as we are fully traceable and recall-able, how "long" a batch is shouldn't be a factor.  Am I correct?

scppvjune

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hello Isabelle,

It is depended upon the risk that your company would like to take when there is any incidents.

If you decide to define batch code as per packing hour, you can hold / recall products as small as only in one packing hour (depended upon the reason why the product need to be held /recalled).

If you decide to define batch code as mixing lot and one mixing lot might be processed for 3 days, you have to hold / recall products at least one mixing lot when there is any incidents.

If you can show fully traceable and recall-able for both forward (from each raw material lots to finished products) and backward (from finished product - batch code to raw material involve), it should be no problem.

Batch code should be clearly identified and should be clearly communicated / agreed with your buyers.

Regards,

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,252 posts
  • 1301 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback!

We work with seasonings in a very shelf stable product.  We've validated cleaning hold-overs thru 3 days maximum (bi-annually).  So Tony, you are suggesting (financial risk to amount of recall aside) that I could have one batch even though it was produced over 3 days before a cleaning shift?

We are BRC certified for over 5 years now.  My take is that as long as we are fully traceable and recall-able, how "long" a batch is shouldn't be a factor.  Am I correct?

Yes you can define a batch as you describe providing you meet identification and traceability criteria (including the traceability on 3 days production being capable of being done within 4 hours) and if it is all the same material batch mix I understand why you want to do that but I wouldn't want to take the risk unless I was 100% sure the product is not going to be recalled.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users