• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like some assistance with examples of a written formal program for facility self inspections. Daily, Monthly, weekly audits. It was recommended that documented monthly inspecetions of the entire facility including outside grounds be conducted. Do you have any sample docs that I can build off of or written processes that I begin to implement and add to a Quality manual?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Dear johnasmaurice,

It sounds like you are referring to an internal audit. Or a (partial) hygiene program.

Do you have a copy of the AIB standard to which you are applying for certification ?. If not, this should be yr first priority.  I presume the items you mention are within a HACCP context, or ?

Assuming you do hv a copy, the usual generic approach is to generate an audit checklist by reversing the standard's individual requirements. There are numerous downloadable examples of this method here for BRC, SQF, ISO 22000 but i cannot remember if any for AIB. Maybe not, but a little searching is recommended.

From memory AIB standards are typically quite specific compared to the ones referred above which should assist.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - i seem to remember that most of the AIB standards are freely available on their website, can you inform which one is relevant to yourself ?

PPS - it seems unlikely but if you literally hv no program for hygiene control (which would typically include inspection of the plant / grounds etc ), please inform.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Dear All,

Previous post is also related to this parallel post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ual/#entry66517

Rgds / Charles.C

@ johnasmaurice - Pls answer previous post in this, or other thread, so that other posters can best offer appropriate advice.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zac2944

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I've been doing AIB for a while, but we're switching to SQF next year.  For AIB I divided my plant into areas, and then had each area inspected once per month by a team of internal inspectors who were trained on AIB requirements, what to look for, and how to document on the inspection form. I had an inspection form for each area.  It would have the inspector look for the key AIB requirements for that area.

I would upload and share my forms, but I can't figure out how to do that. Sorry, I'm new here.  Below I pasted some of the inspectoin questions for outside grounds of my plant.  Inspectors would do a loop around the plant and verify these items met requirements, and record any not conforming.  They would give me the reports and I would send out requests for any corrective action and verify that actions were complete and effective.

Hope that helps!

1. Are external rodent traps anchored? sample one on each side of bldg. Are they in adequate condition?
  2. Is there any tall grass/weeds next to the bldg(blocking any rodent traps)?
  3. Are there any cracks/holes in walls, windows, parking areas, roads.
  4. Is there a major amount of debris (garbage, trim waste, etc.) around outside of building and grounds?
  5. Are parking areas, service roads, and yard free of standing water or other potential causes of contamination?
  6. Are external garbage/waste containers covered, closed, and identified? Is container empty?
  7. Are doors closed & properly sealed?
  8. Is there any chipping or peeling paint on Bldg, or Silos, or other items?
  9. Are site security items in adequate condition- cameras, fences, etc?
  10. Any broken/cracked glass, brittle plastic, or ceramics observed?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Dear zac,

Thks yr input and Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Here is procedure(s) to upload which is quite easy normally.

I use Windows XP / ffox so some of the words may be slightly different to those in procedures below but the actions should be similar.

First procedure below is for the default uploader which is probably what you will see at the moment.

Second procedure is for batch uploader which is convenient if a lot of files.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)  After typing yr post but before posting  the text, identify the 3 boxes just below yr text and above the box marked “Attach this file”

(2) Press box marked “Browse”. This should generate a drop-down explorer type menu for you to select the file on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file you want to upload and click “open”. You should see the path and file name of selected file appear in the empty left hand box.

(3) If file is shown in left-hand box, press the box marked “Attach the file”

(4) If there are any errors uploading the file, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you should  see the attachment shortly appear (name plus green tick). If large file, eg 5-6 MB, may be a delay.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a lot of files, can try the batch (advanced) uploader . This is even easier to use IMEX (only 1 box) but sometimes fails if too many files (maximum approx. 6-7 from memory) or some other bug. Most of the time works fine.

(1) Press text-link under the “attach the file” box to switch to advanced uploader. May have to wait a short time.

(2) Should now see under the text “attach files”  a single box  marked  “Choose files”.

(3) press box “Choose files” . An explorer- type dropdown menu  will appear for you to select the file or files on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file or files you want to upload. You can select more than one file at a time by holding Ctrl (on Windows) or Command (on Mac) and click on the files.

(4) Once you have selected your files and clicked "Open" (or maybe “Save”), they will begin uploading. If there are any errors uploading the files, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachments appear. (Should also be a bar appear to show progress of uploading).

** Note that the total one-time upload is probably between 7 and 9 MB. Exceeding this will usually generate a "failed' type comment and necessitate repeating the upload, plus splitting the files into >1 batch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above info is also available in Help page of forum but some of the details there appeared slightly incomplete for my PC/browser.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - added later - not required reading but there is a little more general info. on same topic within this later (march 2014) post

http://www.ifsqn.com...udy/#entry70723

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have a very extensive area check sheet. you can use it as a guide and adapt it to your plant/process.

Attached Files

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sample Program attached.

As far as documentation goes, anything from simple lists to checklists are fine with AIB, as long as the self inspections are meeting the intent of the Standard.

One of each attached

Attached Files

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Something familiar about some of the samples posted :yeahrite:

Here are a sample form and report:

Attached File  H&H Audit Factory GMP Audit Report.pdf   210.48KB   1329 downloads

Attached File  H&H Audit Factory GMP Audit Report Sample.pdf   183.19KB   976 downloads

Regards,

Tony

Cheza0021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

Sample; can expand to any giving area

Attached Files

Thanked by 4 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

Dear Cheza,

Thank you for the form and Welcome to the Forum.! :welcome:

I have no direct experience of AIB but the items attached in previous 3 posts have left me highly confused.

They seem to range from relatively skeletal format to, IMEX of GMP audits, unbelievably detailed.

Are they really responses to the same AIB standard ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

madihah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:54 AM

Is self inspection and internal audit is the same? 

Hi everyone,

I would like some assistance with examples of a written formal program for facility self inspections. Daily, Monthly, weekly audits. It was recommended that documented monthly inspecetions of the entire facility including outside grounds be conducted. Do you have any sample docs that I can build off of or written processes that I begin to implement and add to a Quality manual?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

Is self inspection and internal audit is the same? 

Hi madihah,

It depends on yr definitions of course.

Here are a variety of generic possible answers to yr query -

Attached File  self-inspection vs internal audit.pdf   227.81KB   293 downloads

(mostly different to the [AIB] quoted text below in this Post, :smile: )

This current thread is AIB-related - here are a couple of possibly related AIB definitions illustrating AIB distinctions -

An inspection is a thorough physical review of a food facility to assess what is actually happening in a facility at a moment in time. This snapshot gives a realistic assessment of conditions that can be both positive and negative for food processing. An inspection focuses on physical review.

An audit is a systematic evaluation of food facility documentation to determine if Programs and related activities achieve planned expectations. An auditor looks at data over time to see if positive or negative trends are developing. An audit focuses on documentation review.

Attached File  AIB, standards for inspection, prerquisite and FS programs,2013.pdf   242.47KB   190 downloads

and two more -

5.6  Self-Inspections
Responsible personnel regularly assess how well the facility implements and monitors Prerequisite and Food Safety Programs.

Critical Requirements
Ө
5.6.1.2  Self-inspections of the entire facility and outside grounds at least monthly.
5.6.1.3  Documentation of the results of the self-inspection includes:
•  Identified observations
•  Corrective Actions
•  Specific assignments
•  Actual accomplishments
5.6.1.4  Results of the self-inspection are brought to the attention of the personnel responsible for the activity inspected.
5.6.1.5  Responsible key personnel set deadlines for Corrective Action implementation.
5.6.1.6  The results of Corrective Actions are verified to ensure satisfactory completion.
5.6.1.7  Documented daily pre-operational inspections are completed to identify any potential food safety risks.
5.6.1.8   Monthly inspections include documentation and program review to ensure continued effectiveness.

Minor Requirements
Ө
5.6.2.2  Follow-up inspections ensure that observations are corrected

Attached File  aib standards -RetailFacilities,2013.pdf   985.95KB   106 downloads

and

Attached File  self-inspection.PNG   65.56KB   2 downloads

(aib standard for beverage facilities,2012)

Can compare the above to a BRC definition of Internal Audit -

Internal audit - General process of audit, for all the activity of the company. Conducted by or on behalf of the company for internal purposes.

Offhand, in context this thread, I speculate that SI is a terminology specific to AIB's own evaluation system.

Edited by Charles.C, 24 September 2019 - 11:50 AM.
expanded

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:19 AM

From BRC Guidance:

Internal auditing is a key factor in ensuring continued compliance with the requirements of the Standard, and must be regarded by the management of the company as critical to its operation. Internal audits demonstrate whether control systems are working correctly and effectively, and identify areas for improvement. Internal auditing forms part of the verification of systems; this is a crucial step within the control of the HACCP or food safety plan. Therefore this requirement is fundamental.

The scope of the internal audit programme must cover all areas of the food safety and quality system, including all the requirements of the Standard (e.g. implementation of the HACCP or food safety plan, prerequisite programmes and procedures). It must also cover both the systems in place and the work practices.

A documented inspection, however, is a simpler approach to assessing the conditions present, so an entirely separate inspection plan should be in place. These hygiene- and fabrication-based inspections assess standards of cleaning, equipment, building fabrication and personal hygiene to ensure that high standards are maintained and that a safe, hygienic production environment is in place. For example, completion of an equipment inspection can identify and control potential foreign bodies (e.g. from worn or damaged equipment) before they have the opportunity to contaminate a product.

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:48 AM

From BRC Guidance:

Internal auditing is a key factor in ensuring continued compliance with the requirements of the Standard, and must be regarded by the management of the company as critical to its operation. Internal audits demonstrate whether control systems are working correctly and effectively, and identify areas for improvement. Internal auditing forms part of the verification of systems; this is a crucial step within the control of the HACCP or food safety plan. Therefore this requirement is fundamental.

The scope of the internal audit programme must cover all areas of the food safety and quality system, including all the requirements of the Standard (e.g. implementation of the HACCP or food safety plan, prerequisite programmes and procedures). It must also cover both the systems in place and the work practices.

A documented inspection, however, is a simpler approach to assessing the conditions present, so an entirely separate inspection plan should be in place. These hygiene- and fabrication-based inspections assess standards of cleaning, equipment, building fabrication and personal hygiene to ensure that high standards are maintained and that a safe, hygienic production environment is in place. For example, completion of an equipment inspection can identify and control potential foreign bodies (e.g. from worn or damaged equipment) before they have the opportunity to contaminate a product.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thks above.

I deduce the meaning to be that AIB's section on "self-inspection" is part of an/their assessment methodology which BRC have classified as "documented inspection" (although scope is wider than BRC's rather patronising description ).

The content of AIB's "self-inspection" seems to be somewhat "variable". Unfortunately latest versions no longer freely accessible.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

I have never been a fan of checklists when it comes to facility inspections (e.g. "GMP Inspections"). If you understand the standard you are audited against, and have properly trained the people that will actually be doing the audits, I find that a simple list of observations marked down as you inspect the particular area works well. 
You can certainly summarize your observations after the inspection, however the goal of the inspection is to note all those things that are "not conforming to the standard" or are otherwise not good practice in your facility.

Checklists, IMHO, are limiting. They tend to make the auditor less likely to observe things that are "not right", unless of course you have a 10 page checklist  :rolleyes:

In any event, as long as you are doing what the standard requires, how you do it is irrelevant. 

Marshall

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users