• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hello everybody.

I looking for information about comercial sterilization because the BRC standard make mention to this for the protective clothing, in our laundry only use detergent, chlorine, and later the clothes are dry with heat drier, somebody now if this is enough for cover the point in the BRC standard? 

thanks.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Dear qfb-x,

Product/process unstated but I presume yr situation requires either a high risk or high care area production area / contracted laundry.

I noticed one previous related comment, there may be others -

Food grade laundries usually 'sterilise' the clothing, this should also be validated by the laundry itself. Spot checks can be done for temperature using 'Thermax strips'

http://www.ifsqn.com...lls/#entry49003

From the BRC text 7.4.4, appears that a justification for any claimed "commercial sterility" will be required.

In the case you mention, maybe will need some data. And, just as a suggestion,can  try this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-2#entry35026

Note that additional factors are involved, eg laundry auditing or certification.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

qfbjmetmex

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Charles.C

thanks alot for your coments, yes We have a high care process, and is for this that I looking for this information, Now I thing in a microbiological validation of the laundry process and the use of thermax strips.Thanks i found it very useful your information.

regards.

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

The laundry process needs to be validated - you are correct. You need to define the actual laundry process (in-house or contract) including the actual cycles, temperatures and holding times. A specification of this should be on file. Following this the frequency of laundering and changing must be verified and validated through bacterial swabbing or contact plates. More paperwork...

George 

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

We had this issue come up during our initial audit as well.  We were required to do swabs on our finished (laundered clothes) to show that there was no contaminents left behind.  We only did it the one time as we have not had to change anything at this time but I would suspect that if we ever changed soap or introduced new machines we would need to revalidate.

Edited by Jim E., 02 January 2014 - 10:20 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,232 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

Hello everybody.

I looking for information about comercial sterilization because the BRC standard make mention to this for the protective clothing, in our laundry only use detergent, chlorine, and later the clothes are dry with heat drier, somebody now if this is enough for cover the point in the BRC standard? 

thanks.

Hi there,

BRC Guidance does help with this, here are some extracts:

'Clothes should be commercially sterile - this means removal of vegative forms of micro-organisms associated with food poisoning and/or spoilage. To achieve this a garment should be processed at a temperature no lower then 65 C for a minimum of 10 minutes or no lower than 71 C for a minimum of 3 minutes.'

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hi there,

BRC Guidance does help with this, here are some extracts:

'Clothes should be commercially sterile - this means removal of vegative forms of micro-organisms associated with food poisoning and/or spoilage. To achieve this a garment should be processed at a temperature no lower then 65 C for a minimum of 10 minutes or no lower than 71 C for a minimum of 3 minutes.'

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Nice one.

Out of curiosity, do BRC offer any justification / reference for the above numerical gem ?

Based on a typical British Rail Restaurant Uniform at destination perhaps ?

i suppose "should" is the operative word. :smile:

Rgds / Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

I have audited the external laundry annually, kept a report, and there are swab tests carried out quarterly on the PPE. This has satisfied our auditors thus far. I did extensive research on validation of cycles in washing machines and Driers and manufacturers thought I was quite mad. Big contract laundries should provide you with validation data, but a small rural launderette can't do that so I had to improvise.The main issue is the drying cycle, it must be long enough and hot enough, but so far our swab checks have validated commercial sterility.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comercial, sterilization, BRC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users