• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Good Day

Need your thoughts on this.  Facility is a cold storage facility- it receives a variety of products.

Receives frozen meat and stores it frozen.

Receives fresh meat and stores it under refrigeration

Then sometimes receives and stores frozen vegetables, frozen fish, frozen seafood.

Their HACCP Form 1 has frozen meat, frozen fish and frozen vegetables all in one form because storage criteria is the same.

Would you leave it as is or have a Form 1 for each different product type, one for frozen meat, one for frozen seafood, frozen vegetables. 

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Dear MFSC,

Receives fresh meat and stores it under refrigeration

Do you mean this is not frozen, eg chilled or something, ie held in a different room to storage of "frozen" meat.?

Or, perhaps, "eventually" frozen after being received / left in same room as used to store frozen meat ? ( would be a debatable procedure of course, similar to the old process of "slow"  freezing)(more like very slow freezing :smile: ).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MFSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

The fresh  meat is not frozen- received chilled and stored chilled until shipped.

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Dear MFSC -

In a previous life, I worked at a processing faciilty with massive frozen storage. We always documented all frozen products on the same form, since required storage conditions were the same and all containers are supposed to be sealed (this should be considered/discussed in a risk assessment). From a risk standpoint, we did try to separate allergens to the maximum extent possible. Did this for ease of identifying product and because if we lost temperature, we did not want allergens dripping on something below them.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Dear MFSC,

Based on yr post #3, it seems that the storage conditions are in fact not quantitatively the same for all the items you mention ?

Or perhaps you are already assuming separate forms for yr respective frozen / chilled products (apologies that i am unfamiliar with typical Canadian format)

Or perhaps "refrigeration" is the single category in use for documentation purposes, albeit a haccp interpretation might distinguish chilled / frozen storage in some analyses ?.

IMEX "cold storage" is reserved for frozen (eg core -18degC) produce but I daresay usage does vary with locality.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

I would say one form (i.e. record) should be fine for monitoring assuming the product details are indicated. For HACCP however I would suggest separate HACCP studies for different meat, product types.

George

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,238 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

Hi MFSC,

Storage criteria would be the same although I would want some segregation.

Can you confirm if they all require cooking?

Regards,

Tony

MFSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

All the products to date received require cooking by the consumer.    Products are received packaged and labelled, they are placed into cold storage for the clients until they are ready to ship to the customer (either retail or restaurants) .

•  Meat received frozen is stored into the designated cooler frozen to be shipped frozen.  
  •  Fresh Meat received chilled  is  stored chilled and shipped chilled. 
  • may receive frozen fish and that is stored in a designated cooler
  • Receive frozen vegetables and again stored at a designated cooler to be kept frozen

So currently no CCPs they are controlled by PRPs.    Upon arrival inspect products for proper temperatures, keep dock temperature controlled also.  All coolers are monitored for temperatures and designated cooler for fish ( allergen).   No packages are opened.

They would like to keep the plan simple and have one form for all products  and one hazard analysis to assess the risks for all the products received.  Attached is draft of Form 1

What are  your thoughts? 

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by MFSC, 27 November 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'd say 1 form too. I might actually record storage location on the form (bay no etc in the freezer) and have a map to show that fish is stored together, meat together, veg together etc to demonstrate segregation

Caz x

gagngrewal

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 September 2023 - 12:45 AM

Hello 

The enclosed document proved to be incredibly beneficial to me.

Recently, we acquired a new warehouse, and we are currently in the process of creating a HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) plan for the facility, particularly for the reception, storage, and distribution of refrigerated and frozen products. Could you kindly help with the drafts of the other HACCP forms for the warehouse as well? Also, if you can assist what should be the main PRPs required for the warehouse HACCP plan.

All the products to date received require cooking by the consumer.    Products are received packaged and labelled, they are placed into cold storage for the clients until they are ready to ship to the customer (either retail or restaurants) .

•  
  •  Meat received frozen is stored into the designated cooler frozen to be shipped frozen.  
  •  Fresh Meat received chilled  is  stored chilled and shipped chilled. 
  • may receive frozen fish and that is stored in a designated cooler
  • Receive frozen vegetables and again stored at a designated cooler to be kept frozen

So currently no CCPs they are controlled by PRPs.    Upon arrival inspect products for proper temperatures, keep dock temperature controlled also.  All coolers are monitored for temperatures and designated cooler for fish ( allergen).   No packages are opened.

They would like to keep the plan simple and have one form for all products  and one hazard analysis to assess the risks for all the products received.  Attached is draft of Form 1

What are  your thoughts? 

Thanks

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users