Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

We manufacture plastic containers for the dairy products industry. Yogurt, sour cream, ice cream and the likes. 

I need to know if there is any legislation or guidelines for the frequency of microbiological testing of finished packaging goods. 

In other words, we mold yogurt cups, how often should we test for surface contaminants? (This would be external testing.)

Tamale

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hi Tamale, do you ship to the USA.  If so I think maybe you would come under the FDA-IMS, as part of that you need to be audited annually and send a small number of samples away each month for micro testing.  

Otherwise in my experience it is useful to have a micro audit of your plant every 3 or 6 months, such a micro audit would include putting settle plates down to count TVC, yeasts and molds; as you know yeast and molds are a big no no for dairy production.  It would also include some swabbing of products, people and direct contact plant and equipment.  It can be done without huge cost and you would need to work with a competent food safety technologist with knowledge of dairy and food packaging to come up with a suitable testing program.  Any tests should be done by a ISO 17025 accredited lab.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tamale

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Simon. We are on the IMS list, I just cant find any legislation and feel that the independent labs are taking us for a ride!

Tamale

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users