• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of writing my company's Supplier Approval Program (for an AIB audit) and have a question regarding purchases from a restaurant "supplier."  The only thing I have been able to find on this subject is "don't buy ingredients from a store."  I am hoping that there is some leeway here, as my company produces some seasonal flavors and only uses a couple of cans of certain ingredients.

Is there a difference between a restaurant supplier and a supermarket?  I think the issue here is lack of COAs,etc. but can't we justify that the products are safe because they are being sold to the public?  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!  

While I'm here, if anyone has any advice on including other suppliers (secondary packaging, non-food contact, etc.), that would also be great!  We have put together a supplier survey to send out for suppliers and distributors of materials/food contact packaging but I'm not sure what is necessary for suppliers of other materials.  Thanks!

ChocolatesMyGame

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

We are in the same boat.  To start (because purchasing is having a hard time accommodating SQF requirements)  I've told them I need copies of the labels of the product on file so we can at least have the ingredient statements to assess allergen concerns.  For the time being, we are also assuming they are safe ingredients as they are sold to restaurants, etc.  I'd like to see if anyone else has this issue and how they handle it.  

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

We too have to deal with food service suppliers but are doing what we can to eliminate this. Our major issue is that we can not get r\the required information from them in a timely manner even though they have it on file. If we complain high enough up the chain we can get most of it but it takes weeks and even some times a month or more. too much time to have products on hold. Some of the manufactures will give us the info if we go directly to them with the lot numbers and others will not saying they did not sell it to us and that we need to go back to our distributor to get it.

We are in the same boat.  To start (because purchasing is having a hard time accommodating SQF requirements)  I've told them I need copies of the labels of the product on file so we can at least have the ingredient statements to assess allergen concerns.  For the time being, we are also assuming they are safe ingredients as they are sold to restaurants, etc.  I'd like to see if anyone else has this issue and how they handle it.  

The major flaw that i see in this plan is you may never know if there was a recall if you bought it off of the store shelves.

Kevin

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

I have not had to deal with this small of a quantity but am wondering if you use a supplier like Sysco or US Foods (although they will soon be the same company) for other items and they can provide the smaller quantities for you?  Most likely this is not option but just in case.........

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

You can sign up for email from the FDA to be informed about all recalls, including items that were shipped to grocery stores.

Thanked by 1 Member:

AJ1795

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have not had to deal with this small of a quantity but am wondering if you use a supplier like Sysco or US Foods (although they will soon be the same company) for other items and they can provide the smaller quantities for you?  Most likely this is not option but just in case.........

We are going to see if a supplier will work with us.  Some of the ingredients might be okay but others are used so seldom and in such little quantity that it wouldn't be possible.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users