Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation
- - - - -

Advice for Removing Mold Toxins

mold toxins sterilization

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic


    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:32 AM



I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice on dealing with mold toxins. I often buy food in bulk, and even if I store and preserve early on, some will either develop mold, or already have mold on it. (I can't see every potato in a bulk bag when I buy it.) I hate wasting food, but I don't want to put myself at risk for health problems.


What I've read:


-Mold can be killed with vinegar, vitamin C, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide

-It's safe to cut moldy parts off of denser foods with low water content, because the mold is more likely to be localized around the visible moldy area

-Food with high water content, like tomatoes, likely have mold throughout even if there's only one furry area because we can't see the roots of the mold at first

-The most dangerous part of mold is the toxins produced, which are less temperature sensitive and often won't be killed by cooking


I tried to find a solid answer on whether some of the things that kill mold will also remove the toxins, but I couldn't find a straight answer, and I don't trust most forums. Mostly I'm curious if pickling would make food safe to eat. I already wash most of my food with a solution of white vinegar to prevent growth of bacteria and molds, and I'm as careful as possible with picking food out, but I figure this knowledge might come in handy in the future.


Thanks in advance!


    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks

  • Mexico
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

You could spray, or dive  the product, witha a solution of natamycin, which is a natural fungicide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users