• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hi all, 

I am looking for a simple biochemical method(s) to detect food spoilage. Something which can be used at homes.

Thanks 

Raj

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

Hi all, 

I am looking for a simple biochemical method(s) to detect food spoilage. Something which can be used at homes.

Thanks 

Raj

Hi nraj.sathya,

Thanks for yr query and Welcome to the Forum !

Yr query is sort of infinite scope. :smile:

If one restricts the spoilage type to organoleptically detectable, one could start from the "eyes" and work downwards. May sound facetious but it is in fact a highly successful  Principle, both for the home and laboratory.

Unfortunately many spoilage aspects are related to BCP factors which require instruments as well, eg bacteria are rather elusive.

Perhaps you have a specific area of interest ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

nraj.sathya

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

Thanks you Charles. Yeah I do understand, getting in to sensitivity and specificity involves instruments. One of the organizations I am involved with is called as Reunite to Redefine India, focuses on a a program called as WRAP IT. They collect food from places in food excess and distribute it to the needy. They are concerned that, they do not want to give away spoiled food. Though the food items will only be collected if they were prepared before 4-6 hours, however there are still chances of contamination and spoilage. Especially in temperatures around 35-45 dC. 

I was looking into sensory based or fluorescent based assays, so that it will be handy for people collecting the food, but couldn't find much options. 

Any suggestions to proceed?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

Hi nraj.sathya,

Any meaningful answer is going to depend on the specifics, eg the safety risk factor associated with the food, supplier, environment, consumer. Plus the spoilage of course.

It's a fundamental issue  in Manufacturing also, tied in with "Supplier approval". I deduce you are talking about cooked items which has its own pluses and minuses especially from a bacterial POV. Unfortunately pathogen growth  doesn't necessarily result in spoilage. I presume auditing would not be an option for the scheme you are suggesting also.?

From memory, there are some procedures published for related issues where individual food donations are accepted by Organisations for onward transmission to disaster-struck areas. Obviously ambient-stable items like canned goods are preferred but  a risk-based methodology is also used for prioritisation / control.

There is an extended thread on this forum for a project in India to distribute cooked rice mixes from a central production location in small packs for subsequent re-warming by the consumer. The potential risks with the scheme as proposed were analysed and were considered to be somewhat alarming, eg -

http://www.ifsqn.com...box/#entry42431

I'm not familiar with fluorescent assays, sorry.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Food spoilage, Rapid detection, assays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users