• Quick Navigation
Photo

Temperature Danger Zone - Logic ( 5- 60 Degree Celsius )

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

Is anyone help me understand the scientific logic behind the temperature danger zone limit set regulatory authorities. 

Your guidance highly appreciated 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hello Baskaran,

Hopefully this graphic and steps below can help you to understand it.

Attached File  Danger Zone.jpg   225.85KB   1 downloads

Follow these 7 simple tips to keep your food out of the Temperature Danger Zone

1. Plan ahead. Don’t over cater as the greater the quantity of food you prepare the harder it is to keep it hot or cool enough. If you are catering for a lot of people prepare food as closely as you can to the time you will serve it.

2. Keep your fridge at or below 5°C. Use a fridge thermometer to check that the fridge temperature stays around 4 to 5°C. Also make sure you have enough room in the fridge because if the food is packed tightly the cold air cannot circulate.

3. Check the storage instructions. Read the label on packaged food to see if it needs to be stored in the fridge or freezer, many unrefrigerated items may need to be refrigerated once opened.

4. Keep hot food at or over 60°C. Hot food needs to be kept and served at 60°C or hotter. If you are keeping it warm for someone put it in the oven at 60°C (or at 100°C if that is as low as your oven will go).

5. Divide food up to cool. Freshly cooked food, not for immediate consumption, should have the temperature reduced as quickly as possible. Divide into containers in small portions and put it into the fridge or freezer as soon as it stops steaming.

6. Keep food on the move cool. If you are transporting perishable food around such as: refrigerated or frozen shopping, or a picnic always use a cooler bag and add a frozen block to keep things cool.

7. If in doubt throw it out. If perishable food has been in the temperature danger zone for 2 to 4 hours consume it immediately. After 4 hours throw it out.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hi Simon, 

Thanks for sharing those simple step.  Those steps are really helpful to understand how to avoid food become unsafe. 

But, my interest / eagar on the subject to understand

- how the range had been set  

- what might be scientific reason / logic behind the same. 

Moreover, the  range  different from country to country like for instance

- In UAE  5- 63 Degree Celsius 

- In USA - 5- 60 Degree Celsius . 

Secondly, microorganism like Listeria Monocytogenes, Yersinia enterocolitica and Clostridium Boutulinum ( Type B) grow / multiply at lower temperature even at below 3 degree celsius.  This will not impact the quality / safety of food product.

Pls kindly give me your valuable inputs/ advice. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Hi Simon, 

Thanks for sharing those simple step.  Those steps are really helpful to understand how to avoid food become unsafe. 

But, my interest / eagar on the subject to understand

- how the range had been set  

- what might be scientific reason / logic behind the same. 

Moreover, the  range  different from country to country like for instance

- In UAE  5- 63 Degree Celsius 

- In USA - 5- 60 Degree Celsius . 

Secondly, microorganism like Listeria Monocytogenes, Yersinia enterocolitica and Clostridium Boutulinum ( Type B) grow / multiply at lower temperature even at below 3 degree celsius.  This will not impact the quality / safety of food product.

Pls kindly give me your valuable inputs/ advice. 

Regards,

Baskaran.G.

Hi Baskaran,

Quoted Ranges such as you mention are inevitably "average"  values and exceptions will occur. Such is bacterial ecology.

Unlike, say, units of length, there is, afaik,  no absolute international reference source for bacterial characteristics although various " standard" texts are frequently quoted, eg  Volume5 in the Microorganisms in Foods series for the present topic.

If you would like a slightly ageing example of the derivation of such data, can try this -

Attached File  food pathogen control data.pdf   266.22KB   52 downloads

The FDA also offer a very nice series of IT articles relating to the impact/control of bacteria and food safety -

http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm094141.htm

(eg see Ch.3, sec. 3.2.2)

If you are interested to see a detailed chronological discussion on the "Danger Zone"  can try this (2004) analysis  -

http://www.foodsafet...ne-reevaluated/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India