noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Classic/ Vintage coin-op restorer of pinballs & juke boxes.
    Model ship builder.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

Morning,

Just looking for some advise, help, pointed in the right direction. I have been employed for a handful off months at a dairy plant that has 4 CIP units. These units are different brands as they were purchased second hand, that I was told. These units have been poorly cared for. These units also have been frankinstiened, adulterated,hacked, mutilated and beyond. Items missing, meters, probes, gauges and such. Chemical Concentrations done manually on two units, the rest with injection pumps. Which brings me to my question.

Slowly with my arrival attention is finally given. My experience level with CIP units is a 5 out 10. 10 being very experienced. I would like to know where / what points of the system were I can pull tritration samples from to verify if we are in range for cleaning chemicals and especially the sanitizer. At the moment we are expericing issues with concentration levels for the sanitizer as it is jumping all over in ranges. What are the best locations or time to take samples from?

I will be greatfull for anyone to share some light as well maybe a small refresher on the basics of CIP 101 on tritration locations or any verfication insight. Any info would help..

Thank you,

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Think about how the flow moves through the system.  Hypothetically, visualize: If you were to put in red dye all at once, it will move through the system mostly concentrated in one area of the flow.  After some full circulations back to the supply tank (all depends on your system, volume of your tank, volume of the piping, etc.) it will disperse throughout your cleaning solution.  Once this is stabilized that is when you find a port or place from which to pull a samples.

Thanked by 1 Member:

QUALITY22

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

Morning,

Just looking for some advise, help, pointed in the right direction. I have been employed for a handful off months at a dairy plant that has 4 CIP units. These units are different brands as they were purchased second hand, that I was told. These units have been poorly cared for. These units also have been frankinstiened, adulterated,hacked, mutilated and beyond. Items missing, meters, probes, gauges and such. Chemical Concentrations done manually on two units, the rest with injection pumps. Which brings me to my question.

Slowly with my arrival attention is finally given. My experience level with CIP units is a 5 out 10. 10 being very experienced. I would like to know where / what points of the system were I can pull tritration samples from to verify if we are in range for cleaning chemicals and especially the sanitizer. At the moment we are expericing issues with concentration levels for the sanitizer as it is jumping all over in ranges. What are the best locations or time to take samples from?

I will be greatfull for anyone to share some light as well maybe a small refresher on the basics of CIP 101 on tritration locations or any verfication insight. Any info would help..

Thank you,

I was always taught to take the titration midway through the cycle. So if you were on your caustic wash (20-30 min) take it around the 10-15 min mark for verification. Also you want to take it at the return-not at the beginning of the line this is were the chemical is using pumped in. Depending on your CIP system- if you are reusing or just dumping to the drain, you can take at the drain or in the tank you were recirculating. Sanitizing for 2-5 minutes the same. Take at the 1 or 2.5 min mark. This is tougher because if you do not have a UPGRADED system you have to time it by cellphone or watch.

I have had the convenience of working on 5 different CIPs at 3 jobs over the last 3 years. 2 systems being the best you get using ECOLABs PLCs and Computer systems where there is a pin chart available for each and every step to verify time, temperature, and flow. The other 3 are 4x older than i am, and we  determine concentration by mixing our own dilutions. 

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

Morning,

Thank you,

Hi noahchris97,

I can sympathize having been in this situation many times.

Sampling should be carried out on the return leg after the item which is being cleaned. With sanitizer (which is usually dosed in line) you are likely to get inconsistent results if you sample at the start of the cycle before it has the opportunity to mix. If you are still getting inconsistent results at the end of a cycle then you should look at the dosing. It may be that you want to slow the pump down and dose over a longer period.

For detergent recirculation to begin with I would check at the start and end of the cycle until you have confidence in the consistency of the CIP set.Then revert to sampling half way through the cycle.

You also need to consider if multiple cleans are carried out on from the same CIP set at the same time and check that the timings and system works correctly such that product residues are not returned to the detergent tank and that the detergent is not excessively diluted. Also that rinse times are adequate to ensure that there are no detergent residues left after rinsing that will neutralize the sanitizer.

Routine checks on detergent tanks should be carried out to ensure that it is not contaminated with product.

For all CIP routes I would create a log of the CIP programmes so that everyone is aware of the settings and you can make educated adjustments if necessary:

Attached File  QMR 047 CIP Programmes Log.pdf   145.71KB   272 downloads

Whenever I go to a new site I create a log of CIP settings like this and also conduct CIP verifications, here is an example verification record:

Attached File  CIP Verification Record.pdf   200.76KB   303 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

teresa gonçalves

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

Hi noahchris97,

I can sympathize having been in this situation many times.

Sampling should be carried out on the return leg after the item which is being cleaned. With sanitizer (which is usually dosed in line) you are likely to get inconsistent results if you sample at the start of the cycle before it has the opportunity to mix. If you are still getting inconsistent results at the end of a cycle then you should look at the dosing. It may be that you want to slow the pump down and dose over a longer period.

For detergent recirculation to begin with I would check at the start and end of the cycle until you have confidence in the consistency of the CIP set.Then revert to sampling half way through the cycle.

You also need to consider if multiple cleans are carried out on from the same CIP set at the same time and check that the timings and system works correctly such that product residues are not returned to the detergent tank and that the detergent is not excessively diluted. Also that rinse times are adequate to ensure that there are no detergent residues left after rinsing that will neutralize the sanitizer.

Routine checks on detergent tanks should be carried out to ensure that it is not contaminated with product.

For all CIP routes I would create a log of the CIP programmes so that everyone is aware of the settings and you can make educated adjustments if necessary:

attachicon.gifQMR 047 CIP Programmes Log.pdf

Whenever I go to a new site I create a log of CIP settings like this and also conduct CIP verifications, here is an example verification record:

attachicon.gifCIP Verification Record.pdf

Kind regards,

Tony

Thank you very much Tony

Teresa Gonçalves

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dairy, CIP, Sanitation, BRC, Chemical, QA, Sanitizer, Verfication, Montoring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users