• Quick Navigation
Photo

TAMC in food supplements (chewable vit tbl.)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Doki123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Slovakia
    Slovakia

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Hi All,

firstly let me express my emotions ... I do really like this site and the attitude of all taking part in making this site professional.

As I am this is my first topic, apologise if not fully understandable.

I would like to ask for an opinion regarding TAMC levels in food supplements. our client is checking results against Ph.Eur. v8. As we are a food producer in terms of legislation I did argue about the limits given as 2000 CFU/g.  But in food legislation i did not find requirements for food supplements for TVC or TAMC (might be the same if I am not wrong).

Secondly could someone advise me if result 3000 CFU/g how big hazard represents?

Thank you,

Zoltan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

Hi All,

firstly let me express my emotions ... I do really like this site and the attitude of all taking part in making this site professional.

As I am this is my first topic, apologise if not fully understandable.

I would like to ask for an opinion regarding TAMC levels in food supplements. our client is checking results against Ph.Eur. v8. As we are a food producer in terms of legislation I did argue about the limits given as 2000 CFU/g.  But in food legislation i did not find requirements for food supplements for TVC or TAMC (might be the same if I am not wrong).

Secondly could someone advise me if result 3000 CFU/g how big hazard represents?

Thank you,

Zoltan

Hi Zoltan,

Yr English is fine.

Food Supplements not my area but analytical requirements typically depend on - 

(a) Local (or Destination) Regulatory requirements

(b) Your Product specification as agreed with customer.

TAMC, apparently, = total aerobic microbial count

This may or may not be identical to TVC depending on the Procedure details.for each.

JFI, USFDA have -

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS

CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

SUBCHAPTER B--FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

PART 111 -- CURRENT GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICE IN MANUFACTURING, PACKAGING, LABELING, OR HOLDING OPERATIONS FOR DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS

Subpart K--Production and Process Control System: Requirements for Manufacturing Operations

Sec. 111.365 What precautions must you take to prevent contamination?

You must take all the necessary precautions during the manufacture of a dietary supplement to prevent contamination of components or dietary supplements. These precautions include:

(a) Performing manufacturing operations under conditions and controls that protect against the potential for growth of microorganisms and the potential for contamination;

(b) Washing or cleaning components that contain soil or other contaminants;

© Using water that, at a minimum, complies with the applicable Federal, State, and local requirements and does not contaminate the dietary supplement when the water may become a component of the finished batch of dietary supplement;

(d) Performing chemical, microbiological, or other testing, as necessary to prevent the use of contaminated components;

etc

The EU also discuss micro requirements but not quantitatively afai can see for TAMC, eg

Attached File  EU Quality Guide for Food Supplements,2007.pdf   314.18KB   15 downloads

Aerobic Plate Count is not usually regarded as a HACCP Food Safety hazard.

Here is Polish Regulation, 2015 whch contains some micro numbers including TAMC from "customer"

Attached File  Poland, micro.Quality food supplements,2015.pdf   41.91KB   11 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Doki123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Slovakia
    Slovakia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:16 AM