• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

Dear all,

my question is related to the allergen declaration of products containing barley or oats and if you declare them as a allergen in Canada? So let's say : bagel is made with the following ingredients: barley, eggs, soy, milk. What will be the allergens that you'll be listing? 

Many thanks,

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

In Canada, the allergens are: eggs, milk, mustard, peanuts, seafood, sesame, soy, sulfites, tree nuts, and wheat. 

So you would list: egg, soy and milk.

3560lynne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Gluten falls under the list of allergens in Canada. Barley is a gluten. (Oats also gluten)

Your allergen list: barley, egg, soy and milk.

Edited by 3560lynne, 31 August 2018 - 03:02 PM.

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Interesting, thanks for clarifying, Lynne. Is that a new update? I recently took a class that discussed listing Canadian allergens and gluten wasn't discussed. 

Just for anyone's reference, rye will also contain gluten (as well as triticale, a cross between rye and wheat). Oats themselves do not but are almost always contaminated with gluten during harvest and that's why they fall into that category. 

Edited by rebudke, 31 August 2018 - 03:27 PM.

3560lynne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

Enhanced labeling for Canada (gluten and sulfites) came out in 2012. Google Canadian's list of allergens you will also find a list of ingredients considered gluten. Sulfites do not have to be declared if they are under 10ppm, fyi. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for all the info!

harmagc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

Based on the feedback. have to say that the matter is still not clear as the opinions are mixed. As per Canada list of allergens only WHEAT and TRITICALE are listed as allergens!!! So Gluten in Canada unlike EU is a sensitivity and not an allergen therefore barley, oats, rye etc, should not be listed as allergens... I don't mean the Ingredient listing only the Allergens. Still open for feedback, please!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

This topic has created some chaos here previously also.

4 years old but maybe still relevant -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ens/#entry79159

And OT but JFI some similar confusion in UK -

http://www.ifsqn.com...in-the-factory/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:11 PM

Please refer to this list for up to date allergen labelling

http://www.inspectio...2/1383612932341

NOTE: there are new labelling regulations afoot with complete roll out scheduled for 2021

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

KBMB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:27 PM

Hi all,

I have a question...

We currently produce a cookie with the following ingredient declaration in Canada:

Sugars (sugar, brown sugar), Peanut butter, Enriched wheat flour, Butter (milk), Peanuts, Water, Natural flavour, Soy lecithin, Baking powder, Salt, Baking Soda.

May contain: Tree nuts, Egg, Sulphites.

We are planning to add another flavour which will contain oats.

Will we need to add "oats"  to the may contain list when "wheat" is already declared in the ingredient declaration.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

KBMB

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:56 PM

Yes, you need to revise your labeling.  For one, the ingredient declaration is a bit confusing and if you have a separate "may contains" statement along with it even more confusing.  It took me a good 5 minutes to understand what is exactly going on in your ingredient declaration which is way too long.  At any rate, I do have some suggestions and see the link below regarding Canadian allergen labeling requirements. Be careful on the oats because they may contain gluten.  I don't know what the flavor base or derivation is, but I would have that ingredient tested for gluten to see if it is in the flavor.

• Separate out the sugars and list individually
  • Be consistent in usage of parenthesis.  I get why you don't do it for "Peanut Butter" because it is obvious, right?  Well...if one does not read carefully they overlook it because they focus on parenthesis items and see "Milk" and think, ok only milk allergen.
  • If you can eliminate the "May Contains".  I know bakeries have difficulty because of ingredients and equipment / cleaning.
  • Here's my suggestion on ingredient declaration for your product with a contains statement and may contains statement (if you want to keep it).
Ingredients: Sugar, Brown Sugar, Peanut Butter, Enriched Wheat Flour, Butter, Peanuts, Water, Natural Flavour, Soy Lecithin, Baking Powder, Salt, Baking Soda.

Contains: Peanuts, Wheat, Milk, Soy (**Gluten if you find the flavor with oats tests for gluten)

May Contain: Tree Nuts, Egg, Sulphites

Hi all,

I have a question...

We currently produce a cookie with the following ingredient declaration in Canada:

Sugars (sugar, brown sugar), Peanut butter, Enriched wheat flour, Butter (milk), Peanuts, Water, Natural flavour, Soy lecithin, Baking powder, Salt, Baking Soda.

May contain: Tree nuts, Egg, Sulphites.

We are planning to add another flavour which will contain oats.

Will we need to add "oats"  to the may contain list when "wheat" is already declared in the ingredient declaration.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

KBMB

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

Ryan, the label meets Canadian regulations-there is more than one option for declaring allergens for example the butter

He has to declare the milk that butter is made from so butter (milk) complies with regulations

https://inspection.c...5/1462472833650

Oats are not the same as wheat, different plants completely so yes, the oats need to make it to the label

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

Ryan, the label meets Canadian regulations-there is more than one option for declaring allergens for example the butter

He has to declare the milk that butter is made from so butter (milk) complies with regulations

https://inspection.c...5/1462472833650

Oats are not the same as wheat, different plants completely so yes, the oats need to make it to the label

I understand and that's the same as the US.  While it meets regulation my point is about readability to the consumer.  That ingredient panel, while meeting regulation, is confusing to read from a consumer point of view.

As far as oats, of course those need to be on the label.  My point with oats is they are frequently contaminated with gluten in the fields and milling.  So, best to verify it has or does not have gluten and not make assumptions.

If they need to change the label anyhow it is a good time to revise it to improve as a whole.

Edited by Ryan M., 10 June 2021 - 01:54 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users