• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food Contact Brush Storage - how do you keep them away from walls?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

Hello fellow SQFers,

One of our vendors was recently cited in their GFSI audit for having product contact brushes touching the wall.

We are currently using a typical brush rack for storage of color coded brooms, squeegees and brushes.  Some of our brushes do touch the wall.  How are you storing your product contact brushes away from walls?  Looking for ideas.  Thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

if you use something like this, with the business end facing up, it shouldn't touch the wall

https://www.homedepo...65780/203702051

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Konstantinos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

If you are talking about the brushes used for cleaning ie converyors where there is direct/indirect contact with food, they must not touch anything i.e floor, walls or other materials. They must be placed in their own enclosed box or something similar. They can not touch the wall and then be used to clean a food contact surface.  

Quality and Safety go together, do not try to separate them!

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:40 AM

Same with Scampi.. or you may fabricate our own as personally, I don't like anything directly surfaced on the wall. what we usually is we have metal plate (the dimension depends on the number of brushes you would like to hang, e.g. 3 brushes we will use 2in (H) x 12 in (L) metal plate fixed to the wall by means of rod to have a distance of to the wall and the plate of atleast 5cm.. then a hanger same with Scampi's post.

However even if you have that you must cascade or make visual standards/reference on how it should be hanged. Even if use the link attached, if your bristle is facing the wall, more likely it will still have contact, so the visual must be the bristle should always face opposite the wall..Not necessarily enclosed.

On 2nd point, the food contact and non food should not come in contact with each other :)

gud2ya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

how do you use your brush?

food contact - obviously the bristles not touching anything. you can dip this though in a sanitizer or a sanitized pail (cleaned and sanitized after every x hours)

non-food contact - you can place it on a holder attached to a wall or in a cabinet

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone.   Most of our brushes are okay hanging on the hooks facing out from the wall.  We have a few that the brush head is round-shaped and sticks out about 4" on both sides.  I haven't found a rack that sticks out quite far enough for these.  A storage bin might be our best option.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

SQF lady.........like PP mentioned..........have the maintenance department fabricate hooks for you for the large round brushes............if they cannot (or you don't have the right equipment onsite) call local machine shops, and they will be able to make you whatever you need (bonus here.....you could have it made completely of stainless steel!! )  Big $$$$ but so worth it

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

Check with U-line.

If I remember correctly they offered a nice extension rack that places the brushes about 1 foot out from the attached wall surface mount. Enough space to avoid the issue.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:48 PM

I appreciate all of the great feedback.  We have decided to place a bracket at the lower end of the brushes to keep them from touching the walls. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:31 PM

I appreciate all of the great feedback.  We have decided to place a bracket at the lower end of the brushes to keep them from touching the walls. 

Share a picture if you can so others who find the thread can see the solution you came up with!

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

kevinkt

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:01 AM

Can anyone confirm or not the need for brushes to be in their own enclosed cabinet? Or off the wall in the production room is ok? 

Raguram Tamilmani

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

Dear Kevin,

According to me, I would recommend an enclosed cleaning cabinet placed in a high risk food production environment. It can help many ways to food become safer. It will help to avoid any misuse of brushes or cleaning chemical by an untrained staffs. Also it is one of a GMP in food production area and will create a good impression to those who are visiting your place (Auditors/Visitors). However we need to think of our department budget to implement this otherwise we can go for a simple solution to keep our cleaning materials as good/safe as possible.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:15 PM

They DO NOT need to be enclosed unless you've proven the environment doesn't keep em clean

However, if they are strictly for sanitation , then i suggest dedicated sanitation space  (closet etc) that is locked . Then give supervisor the key if they need in during operations

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users