• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

Hi all,

We are small snack company and has no budget to hire a consultant... To my understanding that for packaging that is smaller than 40 inches, vertical format will not longer be accepted and it has to be dual column format if the weight is 200%-300% of RACC ? We are still okay to use the tabular format and linear tabular format as long as the packaging is smaller than 40 inches?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

there is guidance just published this month, hopefully this will help out

http://www.inspectio...0/1426607709333

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

hadtoregister

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:32 AM

Oops I was talking about FDA's regulation.

there is guidance just published this month, hopefully this will help out

http://www.inspectio...0/1426607709333

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

My bad, i saw FDA and that's the links i meant to attach!  Hopefully one or more will help

https://www.regulati...004-N-0258-0136

https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm074948.htm

Serving Size [21 CFR 101.9(b)(1)]

Serving size must be based on the established reference amount referenced in 21 CFR Section [section] 101.12(b)(See Attachment # 5) except:

1. Food available only through a weight control or weight maintenance program, may determine a serving size that is consistent with the meal plan for their program. The principal display panel for such products must bear the statement "for sale only through the _____ program" with the blank filled in with the name of the program. However, they must use the established reference amounts to determine if the product qualifies to make a claim.
  2. Serving size is expressed in common household measure (i.e., cup; tablespoon, teaspoon; piece, slice, fraction (e.g., 1/4 pizza); ounce, fluid ounce) and followed by the equivalent metric quantity in parenthesis. When ounces are used a visual unit must be provided after the metric equivalent (e.g. 1 oz (28g/1" X 1" CUBE) The metric quantity is not required for single serving containers unless nutrition information is required on a drained weight basis [101.9(b)(5)].
  3. A package that is sold individually and contains less that 200% of the applicable reference amount is considered to be one serving. However, for products that have reference amounts of 100 g (or ml) of larger, manufacturers may decide whether a package that contains more than 150% but less than 200% of the reference amount is 1 or 2 servings. When a product contains 200% or more of the reference amount, the manufacturer may label the product as a single serving if the entire package can reasonably be consumed at one sitting [101.9(b)(6)].

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

tkloch@ford

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

A new requirement applies to packages (with 40 or more square inches of space available for labeling) that contain from 200- 300% of the RACC amount and for products that are between 200-300% of the RACC per unit (per piece). These products must use a dual column nutrition facts format showing the nutrition values per serving derived from the RACC and a second column showing the nutrition values for the entire package or per 1 unit.

tkloch@ford

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

look at 101.9(j)(13)(ii) and 101.9(j)(13)(ii)(A)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users